Nicolas Baverez is a French qualified partner in the Paris office of Gibson, Dunn.
Mr. Baverez's practice is focused on privatizations, public-private partnerships, regulatory law and complex transactions. He has extensive experience representing and assisting the French State, governmental bodies and state-owned and private entities in their development, the management of their regulatory environment and their administrative and arbitration proceedings. His experience includes:
- Assisting local and regional governmental bodies in their structural development.
- Implementing new financial instruments and public-private partnerships in public infrastructure programs (energy, transport, telecommunications and health insurance sectors).
- Assisting private-owned companies in the negotiation and implementation of industrial partnerships and related litigation.
- Representing the French and British rail companies in the ongoing arbitration against Eurotunnel relating to the operating costs of the Channel Tunnel.
- Representing state-owned entities and private companies in litigation relating, among others, to regulatory compliance before administrative courts.
Mr. Baverez has been ranked as a leading lawyer for France: Public Law by Chambers Europe (2008-2016), and for France: Administrative/Public Law by Legal Experts EMEA (2009-2013) and Legal 500 EMEA (2007-2016). Chambers Europe has noted that Mr. Baverez "is a favourite with public bodies" and Legal 500 has praised his "top-notch practice", recently commenting: "Nicolas Baverez is an 'emblematic' figure who manages 'a unique and sophisticated caseload'" and that he is "a one-of-a-kind adviser". He is also recommended in Best Lawyers for France in Public Law (2015-2017) and Administrative Law (2017).
Mr. Baverez previously served as a magistrate in the Cour des Comptes, was a member of staff for the President of the French Parliament and was the Director of Communication and Business Development at FIMALAC. He has practiced as a lawyer since 1998 and has managed the Public Law activity of two Paris law firms.
He is fluent in English.