Peter S. Modlin is a partner in the San Francisco office of Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher. He is Co-Chair of the Incident Response practice group and a member of the Environmental Litigation and Mass Tort practice group.
Mr. Modlin's practice focuses on environmental, health & safety, toxic tort and products liability litigation and counseling. He has represented clients in a wide variety of federal and state litigation, including mass tort actions, product liability claims, cost recovery cases, citizen lawsuits, natural resource damages and enforcement actions.
Mr. Modlin graduated cum laude from Harvard Law School in 1990. He is admitted to practice law in California.
- Defending claims arising from industrial accident, including wrongful death lawsuit, appeal of OSHA citation and criminal investigation.
- Managing defense of 500+ plaintiff toxic tort claims by former workers at industrial plant in Asia.
- Representing company in connection with multi-facility Clean Air Act enforcement action.
- Defending Fortune 50 company in precedent-setting natural resource damage lawsuit.
- Representing chemical company and mid-stream company in government investigations and enforcement actions arising from industrial accidents.
- Defending criminal, civil penalty and natural resource damages claims relating to pipeline rupture.
- Defending pharmaceutical company in product liability claims arising from adverse drug reactions.
- Handling numerous product liability claims involving MTBE, asbestos, pigments, pharmaceuticals and medical devices, and pesticides.
- Representing logistics company in remediation of crude oil pipeline release.
- On behalf of special committee of Board of Directors, investigated shareholder claims arising from pipeline rupture
- Prosecuting and defending environmental indemnity claims on behalf of a variety of corporations.
- Representing successful bidder in negotiation of environmental agreements in connection with 50-year concession to operate major port.
- Representing national retailer in disabled access and employment litigation and counseling.