Selina Sagayam is an English qualified partner in the London office of Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher.
Ms. Sagayam's practice is focused on international corporate finance transactional work, including public and private M&A, international equity capital markets offerings and advisory work focused on corporate governance and securities law advice. She has particular experience in the financial services and TMT sectors.
Ms. Sagayam is recognised as having leading expertise in public company M&A, having been seconded to the UK Panel on Takeovers and Mergers. Ms Sagayam’s secondment as a senior member of the Panel Executive coincided with considerable changes to the Panel and the Takeover Code in relation to the regime on schemes of arrangement, conditions and preconditions and various market-related issues. She was closely involved in implementing these policy changes.
Ms. Sagayam's practice is also noted for her expertise in financial services and regulatory advice. She advises boards and senior management of international corporations, exchanges, regulators, financial sponsors and shareholders on such issues.
Recent representative matters include:
- Advising Hewlett-Packard on its £7.1 billion takeover of Autonomy Corporation, the largest takeover of a UK high-tech company
- Advising Kraft on its US$19billion bid for Cadbury plc
- Advising NR Investments Limited on its cornerstone investment in the global offering of United Company Rusal Limited
- Defence of unsolicited offer by Network 18 Holdings for Indian Film Company Limited
- Successful defence of hostile bid by Constellation Software for Gladstone plc
- Advising Unicom Systems on its public offer for Macro 4
- Advising Odyssey Investment Partners on its competitive public offer for EAG
- Advising Marlin Equity Partners on its public offer for Chelford Group
- Advising on the competitive public offers for iSoft and Econergy International
- Advising Borse Dubai on the acquisition of its stake in the London Stock Exchange
- Advising K&F Industries Holding Inc. on its acquisition by Meggitt plc
- Advising on the public offers for Euronext, BAA and The Peninsula & Oriental Steam Navigation Company
Ms. Sagayam was named in the London Top 50 Women section of Super Lawyers UK 2013. She was also named in the Corporate section of The Lawyer “Hot 100” List for 2012, which noted: “Since joining Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP in 2006 from Simmons & Simmons, where she made a name for herself as a promising young corporate partner and two-year takeover secondee at the Takeover Panel, Selina Sagayam’s practice has flourished.”
In addition, Ms. Sagayam is recommended as a leading lawyer in the field of Corporate/M&A by UK Legal Experts (2011-2012), recommended for Equity Capital Markets and Finance: Debt Capital Markets by Legal 500 UK 2013 and listed in the International Who's Who of Corporate Governance Lawyers 2010 and 2011. She was recognised as a “rising star” in the 2007 edition of the Legal 500 and British daily national newspaper The Times identified her in its listing of ten “Main Players in US Firms in London” (January 8, 2008). Based on recommendations, Ms. Sagayam was included in Legal Business’ 2012 ‘Fantasy Law Firm’ of the best City corporate lawyers outside the largest UK law firms and the global elite. She is a regular speaker at conferences in UK and Europe on takeovers and cross-border M&A, has authored articles on capital markets and M&A issues is also regularly quoted and appeared in UK national press and media for her views on M&A transactions.
Ms. Sagayam is dual qualified, having started her legal career as a barrister. She was seconded to Charterhouse Bank in 1997 (Group Legal & Compliance) and to the Takeover Panel in the role as Secretary for a two year period (2004-2006). Prior to joining Gibson Dunn in January 2007, Ms. Sagayam practised in London in a leading international law firm for 11½ years.
Ms. Sagayam is a member of Gibson Dunn’s Global Diversity Committee and chairs its London Diversity Committee. She is the co-author of Gibson Dunn's London Diversity Committee Newsletter series.