Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher's sophisticated land use lawyers have experience and routinely advise clients in connection with virtually every type of land use and real property development issue.
Particular areas in which the Land Use and Development Practice Group has deep proficiency include:
- Entitlements and permitting
- Ground leases
- Development agreements and other transactional documents
- Eminent domain
- Public/private partnerships
- Waterfront development and the public trust doctrine
- Historic preservation and rehabilitation
- California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA)
- National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA)
- Ballot and referendum matters
- Other U.S. federal, state and local government laws
We have represented all sides of development deals, including cities and government entities, developers, owners, project proponents and project opponents, proving that our lawyers have the insight and judgment necessary to make the critical decisions facing our clients. In addition to numerous large and nontraditional projects, we have been major players in development projects that include:
- Office buildings
- Business and industrial parks
- Corporate campuses
- Housing projects, including all types and price levels
- Shopping centers, from regional malls to neighborhood and strip centers
- Golf courses and other resort properties
The team is among the most experienced in the state of California in negotiating and drafting development agreements and long-term ground leases.
Regardless of a client's size or stage of development, we take the collective knowledge of our lawyers, across offices, who have handled the most complex transactions for some of the world's preeminent companies, and make that expertise available in every representation.
Our extensive CEQA litigation work involves representing both real parties in interest and plaintiff/petitioners in cases involving challenges to negative declarations and environmental impact reports (EIRs).