Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher's Oil and Gas Practice Group advises the world's leading oil and gas exploration, development and production companies, oil field services and equipment companies, pipeline and other midstream companies, and downstream entities. We also represent financial institutions, private equity firms and government entities active in the oil and gas sector. Clients regularly call upon our lawyers to support them in their high-profile, cutting-edge projects and transactions. Many of our group's members began their careers on the business side of the oil and gas industry, and are able to serve clients with a heightened understanding of their commercial needs. Gibson Dunn's expansion into Houston in 2017 was an exciting and inevitable continuation of the firm's deep history representing oil and gas clients.
Our internationally recognized team brings multidisciplinary, multijurisdictional knowledge and experience to a full spectrum of oil and gas assignments. We offer seamless advice and counseling, technical excellence, creativity, market knowledge, and unique insight on the most sophisticated matters, including:
- Energy M&A (both private and public company-level and asset-level acquisition and divestitures)
- Oil and gas transactional matters (including sophisticated joint ventures, farmouts, carry and earning agreements, and drillcos)
- Capital markets (including public and private debt and equity, and MLPs, YieldCos and UpCs)
- Resource fund formation
- Private equity (including sponsor-level, management team, and portfolio company engagements)
- Asset-level finance (including reserve-based lending, acquisition finance, project finance, and hedging)
- Project development
- Infrastructure projects
- Tax (including oil and gas and partnership; net profits structures, MLPs, YieldCos and UpCs)
We work closely with lawyers in the firm's Energy and Infrastructure and Energy, Regulation and Litigation Practice Groups to deliver an integrated solution across the energy spectrum. Complementing our energy-specific practice groups, our award-winning Litigation, Environmental Litigation and Mass Tort, and Transnational Litigation Practice Groups all have significant exposure and success in the oil and gas arena.
Serving All Segments of the Value Chain
Lawyers in the oil and gas practice are experienced in handling legal and business issues across all segments of the oil and gas value chain. These include upstream exploration and production (conventional, unconventional, onshore and offshore); midstream (gathering, storage, transportation and processing); downstream (storage, refining, marketing and petrochemicals); oilfield services; LNG; and infrastructure.
Comprehensive Coverage Across Project Stages and Participants
Advising clients at all stages of oil and gas projects, our group works with, and opposite, governments (including national oil companies and agencies), industry participants, investors and partners, issuers, underwriters, project sponsors, operators, contractors, suppliers, lenders and insurers, among others, to structure, negotiate, document and fund complex, challenging and novel oil and gas exploration, development and production projects.
Areas of Focus
The lawyers within our group offer deep and practiced familiarity with deals ranging from common acquisitions and divestitures to cutting-edge international exploration and production ventures. These lawyers handle oil and gas exploration, development and production projects in the United States and throughout the world, with exceptional capabilities that include:
- Conventional, deep-water and unconventional resource exploration, production and development projects
- Energy infrastructure projects (pipelines, gathering systems, platforms and floating production systems)
- Acquisition, divestiture and financing of exploration and production assets and midstream infrastructure, at both the asset and corporate level
- Energy-based financings, including reserve-based lending and project finance
- Production payment (VPP and otherwise), net profits interests and royalty trust transactions
- Upstream, transportation, gas sales, plant operation and offtake segments of LNG projects
- Production-sharing contracts, licenses, technical evaluation agreements, confidentiality agreements, joint bidding agreements, farmout agreements, participation agreements, exploration agreements, joint development agreements, joint venture agreements, purchase and sale agreements, joint operating agreements, production handling agreements, gathering agreements, drilling contracts and service contracts