James Chenoweth is a partner and a member of the firm’s Tax, Private Equity and Energy and Infrastructure practice groups. He simplifies tax aspects of partnership and corporate M&A and joint venture transactions and capital markets activities.
Chambers USA ranked Mr. Chenoweth in band 3 in Texas Tax, noting sources hail him as “very intelligent, very energetic and a good advocate for tax,” as well as “very knowledgeable in partnership and M&A matters, and very responsive” (2019) and having “extraordinary technical knowledge” and “incredibly attentive client service“ (2018). He has also been recognized in Texas Super Lawyer – Rising Stars (2014-2019).
Practitioners regard Mr. Chenoweth as an expert in oil and gas and partnership taxation, on which he has presented with Kevin Richards of EY at Practising Law Institute (New York, Chicago, and San Francisco) and Mike Nydegger of BP at the Tax Executive Institute’s Tax School (Houston).
- Conflicts Committee of Hess Midstream Partners in Hess Midstream’s $6.2 billion Up-C conversion
- ArcLight-backed Third Coast Midstream’s sale of gas gathering infrastructure to Starwood Energy Group
- Concho Resources, Inc. in its $925 million sale of New Mexico shelf assets to KKR-backed Spur Energy Partners
- Sports agency Klutch Sports Group in the acquisition of its interests by United Talent Agency
- Wine and spirits company Brown-Forman Corporation in its acquisition of the 86 Company, maker of Ford’s Gin
- Private equity backed real estate joint ventures in California, Florida, New York, Tennessee and Texas
- Guggenheim Partners’ acquisition of a New York investment advisory firm
- Financial Advisor Representations
- Evercore, advisor to the boards of (i) DCP Midstream in its $1.5 billion MLP simplification, (ii) Enbridge Energy Partners L.P. in its acquisition by Enbridge Inc. and (iii) EQT Midstream, in its merger with Rice Midstream
- Lazard, advisor to Carrizo Oil & Gas, Inc. on its $3.2 billion acquisition by Callon Petroleum
- Intrepid, advisor to the conflicts committee of PBF Logistics LP in its $215 million IDR simplification
- Piper Jaffray & Co., advisor to Select Energy Services, in its Up-C merger with Rockwater Energy Solutions
- ArcLight Capital Partners in its $1.12 billion acquisition of Enbridge Inc.’s U.S. midstream business
- EnerVest in its $2.66 billion SPAC related Up-C acquisition of upstream properties by Magnolia Oil & Gas
- Privately held partnerships controlled by Jerry Jones in their $620 million oil and gas combination for control of Comstock Resources, Inc. and in Comstock’s $2.2 billion acquisition of Covey Park Energy
- American Midstream Partners, LP – $278 million going private transaction with ArcLight
Mr. Chenoweth earned his J.D. in 2004 and LL.M. in taxation in 2005 from New York University School of Law. He graduated in 2001 with Honors from The University of Texas at Austin, where he earned Phi Beta Kappa and a B.A. in government.