James Chenoweth is a partner and a member of the firm’s Tax, Private Equity and Energy and Infrastructure practice groups. He counsels clients regarding tax-efficient structuring of partnership and corporate transactions, including transactions involving publicly traded partnerships, special purpose acquisition companies (“SPACs”), IPOs and follow-on offerings, as well as acquisitions and dispositions, taxable sales and the formation of joint ventures.
In 2018, Chambers USA ranked James in band 4 in Texas for the category of Tax, noting sources hail him as having “extraordinary technical knowledge and incredibly attentive client service.” He has also been recognized in The Legal 500 U.S. (2013) and Texas Super Lawyer – Rising Star (2008-2009, 2014-2017).
- Food manufacturer in its disposition of a non-U.S. division
- Investment firm’s acquisition of a New York investment advisory firm for cash and partnership equity
- Privately held partnerships in their exchange of $620 million in oil and gas assets for over 80% of the stock of Comstock Resources, Inc.
- Affiliate of ArcLight Capital Partners in its acquisition of Enbridge Inc.’s U.S. midstream business, Midcoast Operating LP, for $1.12 billion
- EnerVest in its SPAC related Up-C transaction with Magnolia Oil & Gas valued at $2.66 billion
- American Midstream Partners, LP – $815 million proposed acquisition of Southcross Energy Partners, L.P. and substantially all of its sponsor’s assets; $170 million sale of propane marketing and services business to SHV Energy N.V.; and acquisition of the assets of Panther Asset Management, LLC
- Affiliate of The Carlyle Group – purchase of $300 million of 7% Series B Cumulative Preferred Units of Black Stone Minerals, L.P.
- Penn Virginia Corporation – $205 million acquisition of certain of Devon Corporation’s producing and non-producing Eagle Ford assets
- Evercore, financial advisor to the boards of (i) Enbridge Energy Partners L.P. in its proposed acquisition by Enbridge Inc. and (ii) EQT Midstream, in EQT Midstream’s merger with Rice Midstream
- Simmons & Co. International, the energy specialists for Piper Jaffray & Co., financial advisor to Select Energy Services, an Up-C, in Select’s corporate merger with another Up-C, Rockwater Energy Solutions.
- Upstream energy company – various upstream A&D, including its sale of approximately 250,000 net acres of Western Anadarko Basin assets and sale of midstream assets to MLPs
- Occidental Petroleum – sale to Plains All American and Magellan Midstream Partners of the Bridge Tex pipeline, concurrent with secondary equity offering of Occidental’s interests in Plains GP Holdings
- Dominion Resources – disposition of Dominion Exploration & Production Appalachian business through auctions of asset packages and subsidiaries totaling more than $13 billion
- Halliburton Company – initial public offering of KBR, Inc., followed by spin-off of KBR, Inc. and obtaining associated IRS ruling
- Mariner Energy – reverse Morris Trust merger transaction with Forest Oil
- Publicly traded partnership capital markets engagements (e.g., EQT GP Holdings, L.P., Shell Midstream Partners, L.P., Enable Midstream Partners, LP, Valero Energy Partners LP, Delek Logistics Partners, L.P., EQT Midstream Partners, L.P., Encore Energy Partners, L.P., TEPPCO Partners, L.P., K-Sea Transportation Partners, L.P., TransMontaigne Partners, L.P.)
James earned his Juris Doctor in 2004 from New York University School of Law, where he also received his LL.M. in taxation in 2005. He graduated in 2001 with Honors from The University of Texas at Austin, where he was elected to Phi Beta Kappa and received a Bachelor of Arts degree in government.
* Includes matters handled prior to joining Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher