Jennifer L. Conn is a litigation partner in the New York office of Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher. She is a member of Gibson Dunn’s Securities Litigation, Securities Enforcement, Appellate, and Privacy, Cybersecurity and Data Innovation Practice Groups.
Ms. Conn is a commercial litigator, who has extensive experience in a wide range of complex commercial litigation matters, with a particular focus on those matters involving securities, financial services, accounting, antitrust, and information technology.
Prior to joining Gibson Dunn, Ms. Conn was an associate with Cravath, Swaine & Moore in New York. She also was a law clerk for the Honorable Lawrence M. McKenna, United States District Judge for the Southern District of New York.
Ms. Conn received her Juris Doctor from Columbia University School of Law in 1995, where she was a Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar. She graduated, cum laude with distinction in all subjects, from Cornell University, College of Arts and Sciences, in 1992, with a Bachelor of Arts in Government.
Ms. Conn regularly writes and speaks on various subjects, particularly those relating to securities litigation. She is the co-editor and a co-author of the Firm’s Practicing Law Institute Treatise, Securities Litigation: A Practitioner’s Guide.
In addition, Ms. Conn is an Adjunct Professor of Law at Columbia University School of Law, lecturing on securities litigation.
Ms. Conn’s significant representations include the following:
- Rio Tinto plc and Rio Tinto Limited: Representing one of the world’s largest mining companies against Section 10(b) and other claims brought by the SEC and private securities class action plaintiffs in actions in the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York.
- FanDuel Limited: Representing FanDuel and its former directors and officers in an action pending in New York State Supreme Court brought by FanDuel’s founders and certain common shareholders for breach of fiduciary duty and other claims relating to FanDuel’s merger with U.K. bookmaker Paddy Power Betfair.
- UBS AG: Represented UBS AG in connection with investigations into its conduct relating to the setting of LIBOR by antitrust agencies around the world, including those in the United States, the European Union and APAC.
- ITT Educational Services, Inc.: Represented ITT Educational Services, Inc. in securities class action lawsuits in the United States District Courts for the Southern District of New York and Southern District of Indiana relating to alleged misrepresentations concerning ITT’s private student loan agreements with third party lenders and accounting for those agreements.
- Royal Bank of Canada: Represented RBC in a securities fraud action in state court in Milwaukee, Wisconsin relating to RBC’s sale of synthetic collateralized debt obligations.
- Yahoo! Inc.: Represented members of the Board of Directors of Yahoo! Inc. in an action against them in Delaware Chancery Court relating to the termination of Yahoo’s former Chief Operating Officer.
- Eastman Kodak Company: Represented officers of Kodak in a securities class action in the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York relating to allegations that Kodak and its officers misrepresented the company’s financial prospects prior to filing for bankruptcy. The dismissal of the action was unanimously affirmed by the Second Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Flagstar Bancorp: Represented Flagstar in actions brought against it by monoline insurers in the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York relating to residential mortgage-backed securitizations.
- Marsh & McLennan Companies, Inc. and Marsh Inc.: Represented Marsh & McLennan Companies, Inc. and Marsh Inc. in a consolidated securities class action in the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York and in various state actions around the country, relating to allegations first made by the New York Attorney General relating to misconduct in connection with insurance placements.
- Mercer: Represented Mercer in an actuarial malpractice action in state court in Juneau, Alaska.
- Madden International, Ltd.: Represented Madden International, Ltd. in an action in New York State Supreme Court relating to a licensing and distribution agreement for the sale of Steve Madden footwear and accessories in Australia and New Zealand.
- PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP: Represented the Canadian firm of PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP in a securities class action in the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York concerning allegations relating to accounting for theater installations by its client, IMAX.
- Deloitte LLP: Represented the Cayman Islands firm of Deloitte LLP in several accounting malpractice actions in federal courts in Nebraska, Texas and the Cayman Islands.
- Deloitte LLP: Represented the U.K. firm of Deloitte LLP in an accounting malpractice action in Florida state court.
- Deloitte LLP: Represented the Irish and Bermuda firms of Deloitte LLP in an accounting malpractice action in California state court.
- Deloitte LLP: Represented the Irish firm of Deloitte LLP in connection with disciplinary proceedings before the Irish Institute of Chartered Accountants.
- Issuers and individuals in securities class action: Represented several issuers and individuals in a consolidated securities class action in the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York concerning allegations relating to the issuers’ initial public offerings.
- Accounting firms: Represented several accounting firms in connection with SEC civil actions and investigations of their clients relating to various issues, including allegations of accounting improprieties and subprime issues.