Gerard J. Kenny, a partner in Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher’s Orange County office, is a member of the firm’s Corporate Transactional Practice Group. Mr. Kenny has extensive experience in corporate, partnership and LLC transactional matters, including mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, spin-offs and joint ventures involving both domestic and international companies. The mergers, acquisitions, divestitures and other transactions with which Mr. Kenny has been involved arise in a wide variety of business sectors, including manufacturers and financial asset management companies. Of special note are Mr. Kenny’s extensive experience with (i) transactions involving some of the largest publicly-traded asset management companies in the United States, and (ii) transactions involving the purchase and disposition of interests in professional sports teams. Mr. Kenny has also worked on the structuring and formation of private equity funds, including funds with an investment focus in the financial asset management industry.
Mr. Kenny received his law degree from the University of Southern California in 1973. Prior to joining Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher, Mr. Kenny served as a law clerk for Chief Justice Donald Wright of the California Supreme Court.
Mr. Kenny has been admitted to practice before the Federal District Court, the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, the U.S. Tax Court, and all California courts.
Set forth below is a partial list of non-sports M&A transactions for which Jerry Kenny had primary responsibility:
- Representation of Pacific Life Insurance Company and PIMCO (Pacific Investment Management Company) in their acquisition of publicly traded Thompson Advisory Group. Upon this acquisition, PIMCO consolidated with TAG and the publicly traded (NYSE) consolidated entity changed its name to PIMCO.
- Representation of Montgomery Securities in its sale of Montgomery Asset Management to CommerzBank.
- Representation of Knott’s Berry Farm in its sale to Cedar Fair, L.P.
- Representation of Putnam Lovell in its acquisition of a controlling interest in Van Deventer & Hoch.
- Representation of Hudson Respiratory Care, Inc. in its sale to River Holding Corp.
- Representation of the owners of Endeavor Management in the sale of 100% of their interests to AUSA Holding Company, an affiliate of AEGON Insurance Group.
- Representation of Innovative Time Corporation in its sale to Trendmasters, Inc.
- Representation of Seneca Capital Management Company LLC in the sale of Seneca Capital to Phoenix Investment Partners, Ltd. and the reorganization of its equity incentive plans.
- Representation of Pacific Life in the sale of a controlling interest in PIMCO to Allianz AG.
- Representation of Janus Capital Corporation (manager of the Janus funds) in various sales of interests and equity restructurings and its conversion from a corporate to an LLC operating business format.
- Representation of Kayne Anderson Rudnick Investment Management LLC in the sale of a controlling interest to Phoenix Investment Partners, Ltd.
- Representation of Pacific Life in connection with the formation of Montauk Triguard Partners III LP, a "fund of funds" investment vehicle.
- Representation of Transamerica Investment Management in its acquisition of Westcap Investors and the reorganization and recapitalization of Transamerica.
- Representation of Buchanan Street Advisors, L.P. in its sale to The TCW Group, Inc.
- Representation of Buchanan Street Advisors, L.P. in its acquisition of the assets of the Maier Siebel Baber division of Bank of America, N.A.
- Representation of AEGON USA in a reorganization and recapitalization of its Transamerica Investment Management subsidiary.
Set forth below is a partial list of professional sports transactions for which Jerry Kenny had primary responsibility:
- Representation of the Steinberg & Moorad professional sports agency in its sale to Assante Corporation.
- Representation of the Buyer of a substantial minority interest in (with broad management control rights over) the Arizona Diamondbacks Major League Baseball Team.
- Representation of a substantial minority owner in the sale of its interest in the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Representation of the Buyer in its acquisition of a 49% interest in the San Diego Padres Major League Baseball Team.
- Representation of prospective buyers of the Los Angeles Dodgers, Texas Rangers and Houston Astros Major League Baseball Teams (none of the bids were successful).
- Representation of an investment group in its acquisition of the Portland Beavers Triple A Minor League Baseball Team.
- Representation of the Owner of the Tucson Padres (formerly Portland Beavers) in the team’s relocation to Tucson and leasing of a baseball stadium for use by the team.
- Representation of the Owner of the Tucson Padres in the sale of the team.
- Representation of the Owner of a 49% interest in the San Diego Padres in the sale of that interest to the current owners of the Padres.
- Representation of the Buyer of the Las Vegas 51s Triple A Minor League Baseball Team.
- Representation of the Buyer in connection with the purchase of a NASCAR racing team and the related negotiation of ownership and driver agreements.
- Representation of the Buyer of an equity interest in U.S. Sports Camp with an option to acquire 100% ownership.