Louis J. Matthews is an associate in the Dallas office of Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP. He is a member of the firm’s Mergers and Acquisitions, Private Equity, Capital Markets and Oil and Gas practice groups. His practice focuses on a wide range of corporate and securities transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, private equity investments and public and private capital markets transactions.
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Counsel to American Midstream in the sale of its propane marketing and services business to SHV Energy for approximately $170 million
- Counsel to an affiliate of Atlas Capital Management in its acquisition of Crossroads Systems and subsequent add-on acquisition of Capital Plus Financial
- Counsel to ATL Partners in its acquisition of Valence Surface Technologies and its subsequent add-on acquisition of Fountain Plating Company
- Counsel to Bancolombia S.A. in its acquisition of HSBC Bank (Panama) for approximately $2.1 billion
- Counsel to CenterOak Partners in its acquisition of Techna Glass, subsequent add-on acquisitions of JN Phillips Auto Glass, Windshield Centers, Harmon Solutions Group and Pro Glass Alliance and subsequent combination as TruRoad
- Counsel to CenterOak Partners in its acquisition of Sandream Impact
- Counsel to Civeo Corporation in its acquisition of Noralta Lodge for approximately $289 million
- Counsel to CVS Health Corporation in its acquisition of Omnicare for approximately $12.7 billion
- Counsel to D.R. Horton in its acquisition of a majority interest in the Forestar Group for approximately $520 million
- Counsel to an affiliate of Energy Future Holdings in the sale of certain assets to Prairie State Energy Campus
- Counsel to FAM AB in its acquisition of Sandvik Process Systems for approximately $591 million
- Counsel to Fitness Connection in its acquisition of certain assets from Blast Fitness
- Counsel to Highgate Hotels in the sale of a minority interest to an affiliate of Trilantic Capital Partners
- Counsel to a portfolio company of MidOcean Partners in its add-on acquisition of Jan Fan
- Counsel to a portfolio company of MidOcean Partners in its separate add-on acquisitions of M.L. Leonard and Petroleum Solutions
- Counsel to MidOcean Partners in its acquisition of Questex
- Counsel to P10 Holdings in its acquisition of Five Points Capital, Inc.
- Counsel to P10 Holdings in its acquisition of RCP Advisors
- Counsel to Quad-C Management in its portfolio company’s separate add-on acquisitions of Ansley Atlanta Real Estate, Ansley Developer Services and Nest Realty Group
- Counsel to Pharos Capital Group in the sale of its investment in Travel Holdings
- Counsel to Tenet Healthcare Corporation in the sale of its investments in three Dallas-based hospitals to Baylor, Scott & White Health
- Counsel to Topgolf International in its acquisition of Protracer
- Counsel to Topgolf International in its investment in Full-Swing Golf
- Counsel to United Therapeutics in its acquisition of SteadyMed for approximately $216 million
- Counsel to Vistra Energy, a former affiliate of Energy Future Holdings, in its reorganization and emergence from bankruptcy as a publicly-traded company on the OTC Markets
- Counsel to Vornado Realty Trust in its investment in a joint venture to develop a commercial real estate property on the High Line in New York City
- Counsel to Vornado Realty Trust in its investment in a joint venture to own and operate a commercial real estate property on Park Avenue in New York City
Capital Markets and Corporate Finance
- Counsel to Barclays Capital with respect to the issuance by Targa Resources of $777.3 million of common stock
- Counsel to Citigroup Global Markets with respect to the issuance by affiliates of Targa Resources of $750 million of 5.000% senior notes
- Counsel to Deutsche Bank Securities with respect to numerous issuances by Targa Resources under three separate at-the-market offering programs
- Counsel to an affiliate of Goldman Sachs in making an acquisition and construction loan for a residential real estate development project in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
- Counsel to an affiliate of Goldman Sachs in making a $420 million acquisition and construction loan for the development of a residential real estate property in New York City
- Counsel to an affiliate of Goldman Sachs in making a $275 million acquisition loan to the purchaser of a hotel in Times Square in New York City
- Counsel to an affiliate of Goldman Sachs in making an acquisition loan to the purchaser of The St. Regis Washington D.C. in Washington, D.C.
- Counsel to an affiliate of Goldman Sachs in the syndication of several loans, collectively in excess of $660 million
- Counsel to Merrill Lynch with respect to the private placement by NuStar Energy of $590 million of Series D Cumulative Convertible Preferred Units
- Counsel to Merrill Lynch with respect to the issuance by affiliates of Targa Resources of $750 million of 6.500% senior notes and $750 million of 6.875% senior notes
- Counsel to RBC Capital Markets with respect to the issuance by an affiliate of NuStar Energy of $500 million of 6.00% senior notes
- Counsel to Regions Financial Corporation in its issuance of $500 million of 6.375% Series B Non-Cumulative Perpetual Preferred Stock
- Counsel to U.S. Well Services, Inc. in its issuance of $55 million of Convertible Preferred Stock
- Counsel to Wells Fargo Securities with respect to the issuance by NuStar Energy of $172.5 million of 9.00% Series C Fixed-to-Floating Rate Cumulative Redeemable Perpetual Preferred Units
* Includes matters handled prior to joining Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP
- “Acquisitions of Public Companies” to the Mergers and Acquisitions Section of the Dallas Bar Association (November 2016)
- “Representation and Warranty Insurance: Market Updates and Developments” to the Mergers and Acquisitions Section of the Dallas Bar Association (May 2019)
- “State of the Act: Critical Developments and Trends in M&A” to the Mergers and Acquisitions Section of the Dallas Bar Association (February 2020)
Prior to joining Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP, Mr. Matthews was an associate at Sullivan & Cromwell LLP in New York, New York, where he was a member of the Mergers and Acquisitions and Commercial Real Estate practice groups.
Mr. Matthews graduated from the University of Virginia School of Law. During law school, he served as an Articles Editor for the Virginia Journal of International Law. Prior to the practice of law, Mr. Matthews worked in the finance department of a U.S. presidential campaign and worked on the launch of a start-up news company. He earned his Bachelor of Arts degree cum laude from Vanderbilt University with a double major in Political Science and Human & Organizational Development.
Mr. Matthews is currently serving as the President of the Mergers and Acquisitions Section of the Dallas Bar Association and had previously served as on the board of the Section for the prior three years. Mr. Matthews is also a member of The Cary Council, which supports the missions of the Southwestern Medical Foundation and the UT Southwestern Medical Center.
Mr. Matthews maintains an active pro bono practice, including providing pro bono counsel for families adopting children in the Dallas/Fort Worth metropolitan area who are under the care of the Texas Child Protective Services.
Mr. Matthews is admitted to practice law in Texas and New York.