Nicola Paterson is an associate in the San Francisco office of Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher. She practices in the firm’s Litigation Department and has litigated a wide range of cases, including matters involving white collar defense and investigations, securities litigation and enforcement, contractual disputes, cybersecurity, antitrust, and life sciences.
Representative matters include:
- Member of the five-attorney team that won mid-trial acquittal on two counts, and mistrial on remaining five counts in a six-week federal criminal jury trial involving securities fraud, conspiracy, and false statements. Assisted all aspects of trial preparation, including extensive motion practice, client and witness interviews, and expert witness preparation. Presented mock-jury arguments and examined witnesses. During trial, second-chaired witness examinations (including the cross examination of the government’s key witness), prepared experts and witnesses, and wrote motions and arguments – including Brady motion and motion for judgment of acquittal. Assisted with jury selection and opening and closing presentations.
- Successfully briefed settlement with the Securities and Exchange Commission resulting in payment of less than four percent of claimed penalties. Responsibilities included writing the successful mediation brief and conducting negotiations with the SEC. The SEC had previously sought penalties in the multiple millions of dollars in response to a guilty plea in a parallel criminal action.
- Briefed and argued a successful IRS appeals action relating to a 10-year dispute. The result, after Gibson Dunn was brought in at the eleventh hour, saved the client from near certain business ending tax levies in the multiple hundreds of thousands of dollars.
- Member of the bench and jury trial team that successfully represented one of the world’s leading public universities in a breach of contract and false claims act action. Responsibilities included preparing witnesses and second-chairing witness examinations in both trials.
- Member of the trial team representing Chevron Corporation in its successful RICO and fraud action in the Southern District of New York.
Selected Presentations & Speeches:
- Co-Author, “The Data Security Governance Conundrum: Practical Solutions and Best Practices for the Boardroom and the C-Suite,” Columbia Business Law Review (July, 2015).
- Co-Author, “Equalizing the Negotiation Process with a Trial-Ready SEC,” ABA Criminal Litigation (June, 2015).
- Co-Author, “Lessons in Control and Conflict Analysis,” Delaware Business Court Insider (November, 2014).
Ms. Paterson received her J.D., cum laude, from Georgetown Law in 2010, where she was a Current Developments Editor for the Georgetown Journal of Legal Ethics. She received a B.A., with Honors, in Political Science from the University of Exeter in 2000 and an additional B.A., with Honors, in American Studies from the University of Kent in 2004.
Prior to joining Gibson Dunn, Ms. Paterson was an associate at another leading international law firm, and a fellow at the Georgetown Center on National Security and the Law.
Ms. Paterson has held (and is currently qualified to hold) a top secret security clearance. Ms. Paterson is a Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/US).
Ms. Paterson is admitted to practice law in the State of California and the District of Columbia.