Erin N. Rankin is an associate in the Washington, D.C. office of Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher, where she practices in the firm’s Litigation Department.
Ms. Rankin has extensive experience litigating government contract disputes and advising clients on FAR and DFARS compliance, with a particular focus on cost and pricing issues. Ms. Rankin also assists clients with all types of legal questions and disputes that arise in the creation, performance, and closing out of government contracts. She defends clients against False Claims Act allegations, negotiates and drafts subcontracts, conducts internal investigations, navigates disputes between prime and subcontractors, and represents clients in mandatory disclosures and suspension and debarment proceedings. In addition, Ms. Rankin conducts due diligence for clients buying or selling companies that perform government contracts. Ms. Rankin also has an active pro bono practice, advocating for veterans, immigrants, and voter rights.
Prior to joining the firm in 2015, Ms. Rankin was an associate at Vinson & Elkins LLP in Washington, D.C., where she practiced in the government contracts, export controls and economic sanctions groups.
Ms. Rankin earned her Juris Doctor with honors in 2009 from The George Washington University Law School. She received her undergraduate degree in 2006 from The Ohio State University, where she graduated magna cum laude with honors and distinction. Ms. Rankin is a member of the bars of the District of Columbia and Virginia, and she is admitted to practice before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit and the U.S. Court of Federal Claims.
Select Representative Experience
- Represented Aetna Government Health Plans in ASBCA No. 60207 through the evidentiary hearing and obtained a judgment entitling the contractor to termination for convenience costs, including precontract costs under FAR 31.205-32.
- Ongoing representation of a Department of Energy contractor in False Claims Act litigation in federal district court and a parallel Contract Disputes Act proceeding before the Civilian Board of Contract Appeals.
- Ongoing representation of a Department of Defense contractor in a contract dispute relating to the allowability of indirect travel costs in multiple proceedings before the Armed Services Board of Contract Appeals.
- Ongoing representation of an engineering firm in its dispute with a subcontractor in federal district court.
- Ongoing representation of a designer/manufacturer of aircraft systems in its claim for breach of contract damages against the U.S. Air Force in proceedings before the Armed Services Board of Contract Appeals.
- Ongoing representation of a defense technology company before the Armed Services Board of Contract Appeals in a dispute regarding the company’s compliance with the Cost Accounting Standards.
- Represented a GSA schedule contractor in successfully resolving GSA OIG audit findings regarding the contractor’s Commercial Sales Practice information.
- Represented a government contractor in termination for default proceedings before the Civilian Board of Contract Appeals, resulting in conversion into a termination for convenience.
- Represented a NASA contractor in successfully resolving a contract dispute relating to labor costs incurred under a services contract in proceedings before the Armed Services Board of Contract Appeals.
- Represented a GSA schedule contractor during investigation by the GSA OIG following the contractor’s disclosure of potential noncompliance with the Price Reduction Clause, resulting in no action.
- Represented a Department of Defense contractor in negotiating the settlement of the cost impact of a change to accounting practices.
- Represented a Department of Defense contractor in a breach of contract claim filed by a subcontractor in Virginia state court.
- Advised a software company in its negotiations of a channel agreement with a GSA schedule contractor.
- Represented a technology company in its negotiation of a subcontract with a prime contractor for the Drug Enforcement Administration.
- Represented a private equity firm in its acquisition of an aerospace manufacturing company with numerous contracts with the Department of Defense.
- Advised a defense technology company in drafting and negotiating a Cooperative Research and Development Agreement with the U.S. Navy.
- Represented a defense technology company in successfully resolving a dispute with the Department of Defense regarding compliance with the Truth in Negotiations Act.