Justin T. Stolte is a corporate partner in the Houston office of Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher, and a member of the firm’s Mergers and Acquisitions, Energy and Infrastructure, and Oil and Gas practice groups. He represents exploration and production companies, midstream companies, private equity clients, and other financial institutions in complex transactions across the energy sector, with a particular focus on acquisitions, divestitures, and joint ventures involving upstream and midstream oil and gas assets. Mr. Stolte has significant experience in several segments of the oil and gas industry, having previously worked in business development and commercial roles at Apache Corporation and as a petroleum engineer for ChevronTexaco in the Permian Basin prior to law school.
Mr. Stolte has been recognized in the following publications:
- The Legal 500 U.S. as a “Next Generation Lawyer” for Energy Transactions (2017 – 2018 edition);
- Houston Business Journal as a “40 under 40” honoree (2018);
- Oil & Gas Investor as a “Top 30 under 40” honoree (2015);
- Texas Monthly as a “Texas Rising Star” (2012 through 2015);
- Law360 as a “Rising Star (Top 5 Energy Attorney under 40)” (2014); and
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers (Oil & Gas (Transactional) – 2014).
He received his law degree, cum laude, from the University of Notre Dame. Mr. Stolte also holds a degree in Petroleum Engineering from the Colorado School of Mines, where he graduated with high honors, and received an MBA from Massachusetts Institute of Technology’s Sloan School of Management.
- ArcLight Capital Partners – $1.12 billion acquisition of Midcoast Operating, L.P., a company which conducts natural gas and NGL gathering, processing, transportation, and marketing operations in Texas, Oklahoma, and Louisiana (pending)
- Concho Resources (NYSE: COG) – (1) $9.5 billion merger with RSP Permian Inc. (NYSE: RSPP) (pending) and (2) $600 million acquisition of certain producing and non-producing assets located in the Permian Basin
- EnerVest – $2.7 billion business combination with Magnolia Oil and Gas Corporation, as part of which EnerVest will divest certain of its producing and non-producing assets located in the Eagle Ford and Austin Chalk areas to TPG Pace Energy Holdings (NYSE: TPGH) (pending)
- Sempra Energy (NYSE: SRE) – “P2K” pipeline project with Boardwalk Pipeline Partners (NYSE: BWP) for the transportation of natural gas from the Permian Basin to Katy and the Houston Ship Channel (pending)
- Private equity fund – $400 million drilling joint venture to develop producing and non-producing assets located in Kern County, California
- SK E&P America – acquisition of Longfellow Nemaha, LLC, a private company with producing and non-producing assets located in the STACK, for an undisclosed purchase price
- Penn Virginia Corporation (NYSE: PVAC) – (1) $86 million acquisition of certain of Hunt Oil’s producing and non-producing assets located in the Eagle Ford and (2) $205 million acquisition of certain of Devon Corporation’s (NYSE: DVN) producing and non-producing assets located in the Eagle Ford
- Chisholm Energy – (1) acquisition of Resource Rock Exploration’s producing and non-producing assets located in the Permian Basin for an undisclosed purchase price, (2) acquisition of certain of Enduro Royalty Trust’s (NYSE: NDRO) producing and non-producing assets located in the Permian Basin for an undisclosed purchase price, and (3) series of bolt-on acquisitions of producing and non-producing assets located in the Permian Basin for undisclosed purchase prices
- Enduring Resources – (1) acquisition of certain producing and non-producing assets located in the San Juan Basin for an undisclosed purchase price, (2) $2.5 billion divestiture of upstream and midstream businesses located in the Permian Basin to American Energy – Permian Basin, LLC,* and (3) $1.3 billion divestiture of upstream and midstream businesses located in the Eagle Ford to Talisman Energy USA Inc. and Statoil Texas Onshore Properties LLC*
- Hyperdynamics Corporation (OTC: HDYN) – drilling joint venture with SAPETRO covering exploratory offshore assets located in West Africa
- Apache Corporation (NYSE: APA) – (1) divestiture of operated interest in the SAGE System, a natural gas pipeline system and natural gas processing terminal, to Ancala Partners for an undisclosed purchase price, (2) $400 million divestiture of an ammonia plant, along with a to-be-constructed technical ammonium nitrate (TAN) plant, to Yara International (OTC: YARIY), (3) $2.75 billion divestiture of Wheatstone and Kitimat LNG projects to Woodside Petroleum Limited (ASX: WPL), (4) $2.1 billion divestiture of Western Australian oil and gas assets to Macquarie Capital and Brookfield Asset Management, and (5) $1.0 billion divestiture of upstream and midstream assets located in the Anadarko Basin to an undisclosed buyer*
- Howard Energy Partners – (1) joint venture involving midstream assets located in South Texas and (2) series of acquisitions of midstream assets located in South Texas for undisclosed purchase prices*
- Calumet Specialty Product Partners (NASDAQ: CLMT) – acquisition of crude oil loading facilities located in the Bakken from Murphy Oil USA Inc. (NYSE: MUR) for an undisclosed purchase price*
* Matters prior to joining Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher