Luke Powers Strother is an associate in the Oil and Gas, Mergers and Acquisitions, Power and Renewables, Projects and Infrastructure, and Private Equity practice groups in Gibson Dunn’s Houston office. He works on a variety of commercial transactions, including acquisitions and divestitures, mergers and acquisitions, private equity investments, joint ventures, project development, and general corporate matters. Luke has particular experience representing clients in the energy industry, including in the upstream, midstream, power, and renewable sectors.
- Represented Occidental Petroleum in its $1.33 billion divestiture of 4.5 million mineral acres and 1 million surface acres located in Wyoming, Utah, and Colorado to Orion Mine Finance.*
- Represented Hess Corporation in its $315 million divestiture of certain Bakken shale assets in North Dakota to Enerplus Resources Corporation.*
- Represented Diversified Energy Company in its $180 million acquisition of certain upstream assets located in the Barnett shale from Blackbeard Operating.*
- Represented Arclight Capital Partners in connection with the acquisition of a 50% interest in the King’s Quay floating production system and associated export lateral pipelines from Murphy Exploration & Production Company – USA, a subsidiary of Murphy Oil Corporation.*
- Represented Hess Corporation in its $505 million sale of its joint venture interest in offshore GOM assets to BHP Billiton.*
- Represented Quanta Services Inc. in its $2.7 billion acquisition of a renewable energy infrastructure company, Blattner Holding Co.*
- Represented Energy Transfer in its $7.2 billion acquisition of Enable Midstream Partners.*
- Represented Riverstone Holdings LLC in the sale of certain onshore and offshore GOM assets held by its portfolio companies to Talos Energy Inc.*
- Represented a private E&P company in the divestiture of oil and gas properties located in the Midland Basin from private sellers.*
- Represented Independence Resources Management, LLC, backed by Warburg Pincus, in its divestiture of certain assets in the Midland Basin to Earthstone Energy, Inc. for approximately $135.2 million in cash and $50.8 million worth of Earthstone equity.*
Luke received his J.D. from the University of Texas School of Law, where he served as an articles editor for the Texas Journal of Oil, Gas, and Energy Law and as a staff editor for the Texas Review of Law & Politics. He received a B.S., cum laude, in Petroleum Engineering and a minor in Business from Texas A&M University While at Texas A&M, Luke won the Buck Weirus Spirit Award for his involvement at the university.
He is admitted to practice law in the State of Texas.
*Matters prior to joining Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher