Dirk Oberbracht is a partner in the Frankfurt office of Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher. He is a member of the firms Private Equity and Mergers & Acquisitions Groups and Partner-in-Charge of the Frankfurt office.
Mr. Oberbracht focuses on Private Equity, M&A and corporate law, advising corporate entities and private equity investors. He has extensive expertise in cross-border and domestic M&A and Private Equity deals, including carve-outs, joint ventures, minority investments and corporate restructurings.
Mr. Oberbracht is “frequently recommended” for Private Equity and M&A (JUVE 2017/2018). Chambers Europe Germany 2018 ranks him in Band 2 for Private Equity. Chambers Europe 2018 and Chambers Global 2018 rank him in Corporate/M&A: High-end Capability. Clients stated: “He has strong experience in public and private deals. He has a good sense of what the client wants”. He is also described as “very experienced and helpful”. He was selected by JUVE 2015/2016 as one of the 10 “leading senior partners for M&A in Germany”. Chambers Europe Germany, The Legal 500 Germany, Handelsblatt Best Lawyers, Who’s Who Legal – Germany and IFLR1000 regularly list him as a leading lawyer for Private Equity, Corporate and M&A. Clients comment: “When we have a transaction north of €100 million, he’s the guy I call”, “superb negotiator with significant amount of experience and a clear focus on client satisfaction” and “excellent market reputation for M&A work”.
Prior to joining Gibson Dunn, Dirk Oberbracht was a corporate partner in the Frankfurt office of a renowned US law firm and headed such office.
Mr. Oberbracht is fluent in German and English.
Representative transactions include advising:
- Atlas Copco on the €486 million acquisition of Oerlikon Leybold, the vacuum segment of the Swiss Oerlikon group.*
- Clariant and Ashland on the €257 million sale of ASK Chemicals, a leading manufacturer of foundry chemicals with facilities in 25 countries, to Rhône Capital.*
- Daimler Chrysler AG on the sale of debis AirFinance B.V., an aircraft leasing business, to Cerberus for more than US$1.3 billion.*
- Deutsche Bank and other financial institutions in connection with the €1.8 billion acquisition of GEA Heat Exchangers by Triton*
- Dubai International Capital on the US$1.7 billion sale of Mauser, a leading industrial packaging company, to Clayton Dubilier & Rice.*
- Fresenius on several transactions.*
- Goldman Sachs as financial advisor on the €3.1 billion acquisition of Kabel Baden-Württemberg by Liberty Global, Inc.*
- HSE24/AXA Private Equity on the acquisition and restructuring of a Russian home shopping business*
- Management team of Matrix42 on the LBO of Matrix42, a software company, sponsored by Emeram Capital Partners.*
- Madison Dearborn Partners on the €800 million acquisition of Sirona Dental.*
- Mauser on several transactions in Germany, the US, Italy, Spain, Thailand, Singapore and other countries.*
- Nordic Capital on the intended acquisition of a global hydraulic business (value in excess of €500 million).*
- One Equity Partners on the acquisition of transformer manufacturer SGB-SMIT from private equity investor BC Partners.
- One Equity Partners on the acquisitions of De-Vau-Ge and Dailycer, manufacturers of cereals.*
- One Equity Partners on the acquisition of Mauser, an international leading industrial manufacturing company, and the €850 million sale of Mauser to Dubai International Capital.*
- One Equity Partners on the acquisition and restructuring of Schoeller Arca Systems, an industrial packaging company.*
- One Equity Partners on the acquisition of Vacuumschmelze, a manufacturer of advanced magnetic materials, from The Morgan Crucible Company and the US$1 billion sale of Vacuumschmelze to OM Group.*
- Stone Canyon Industries and its subsidiary BWAY on the US$2.3 billion acquisition of Mauser Group, a leading industrial packaging company, from Clayton Dubilier & Rice.
- Triton on the acquisitions of Basler, a fashion label, and RMG, a manufacturer of valves.*
- Xella, a leading building materials company headquartered in Germany, and the Management Team on the sale of Xella to Lone Star
(*Experience Prior To Joining Gibson Dunn)