Dirk Oberbracht is a partner in the Frankfurt office of Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher. He is a member of the firm’s Private Equity and Mergers & Acquisitions Groups and Partner-in-Charge of the Frankfurt office.
Mr. Oberbracht is a leading Private Equity and M&A lawyer. He advises private equity investors, corporate clients, families and management teams. He has extensive expertise in cross-border and domestic deals, including carve-outs, joint ventures, minority investments, corporate restructurings and management equity programs.
Mr. Oberbracht is “frequently recommended” for Private Equity and M&A (JUVE 2018/2019). Chambers Europe Germany 2018 ranks him in Band 2 for Private Equity. Chambers Global 2019 ranks him in Germany Corporate/M&A: High-end Capability, stating clients who describe him as “very strategic, smart and great in getting complex deals done”. Chambers Europe Germany, The Legal 500 Germany, Handelsblatt / Best Lawyers, Who’s Who Legal – Germany and IFLR1000 regularly list him as a leading lawyer for Private Equity, Corporate and M&A. He is recommended by kanzleimonitor.de 2018/2019, a study of the German Inhouse Lawyers’ Association (BuJ). Clients comment: “When we have a transaction north of €100 million, he’s the guy I call”, “superb negotiator with significant amount of experience and a clear focus on client satisfaction”, “excellent market reputation for M&A work”, and “strong experience in public and private deals. He has a good sense of what the client wants”.
Prior to joining Gibson Dunn, Dirk Oberbracht was a corporate partner in the Frankfurt office of a renowned US law firm and headed such office for several years.
Mr. Oberbracht is fluent in German and English.
Representative transactions* include advising:
- Atlas Copco on the €486 million acquisition of Oerlikon Leybold, the vacuum segment of the Swiss Oerlikon group.
- Clariant and Ashland on the €257 million sale of ASK Chemicals, a leading manufacturer of foundry chemicals with facilities in 25 countries, to Rhône Capital.
- Deutsche Bank and other financial institutions in connection with the €1.8 billion acquisition of GEA Heat Exchangers by Triton.
- Dubai International Capital on the US$1.7 billion sale of Mauser, a leading industrial packaging company, to Clayton, Dubilier & Rice.
- Fresenius on several transactions.
- Goldman Sachs as financial advisor on the €3.1 billion acquisition of Kabel Baden-Württemberg by Liberty Global, Inc.
- Madison Dearborn Partners on the €800 million acquisition of Sirona Dental.
- Mauser on several transactions in Germany, the US, Italy, Spain, Thailand, Singapore and other countries.
- Nordic Capital on the intended acquisition of a global hydraulic business (above €500 million).
- One Equity Partners on the acquisition of Alltub Group, a market leader in aluminium and Laminate specialty packaging for the cosmetics industry and other markets.
- One Equity Partners on the acquisition of transformer manufacturer SGB-SMIT from private equity investor BC Partners.
- One Equity Partners on the acquisition of Mauser, an international leading industrial manufacturing company, and the €850 million sale of Mauser to Dubai International Capital.
- One Equity Partners on the acquisition and restructuring of Schoeller Arca Systems, an industrial packaging company.
- One Equity Partners on the acquisition of Vacuumschmelze, a manufacturer of advanced magnetic materials, from The Morgan Crucible Company and the US$1 billion sale of Vacuumschmelze to OM Group.
- Stone Canyon Industries and its subsidiary BWAY on the US$2.3 billion acquisition of Mauser Group, a leading industrial packaging company, from Clayton, Dubilier & Rice.
- Triton, a PE fund, on several acquisitions.
- Triton on its investment in Deutsche Radiologie Holding.
- Xella International S.A., a Holding company of funds advised by Goldman Sachs and PAI Partners, on the sale of Xella to Lone Star.
(*Includes experience prior to joining Gibson Dunn)