Dirk Oberbracht is a partner in the Frankfurt office of Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher. He is a member of the firm’s Private Equity and Mergers & Acquisitions Groups and Partner-in-Charge of the Frankfurt office.
Mr. Oberbracht is a leading Private Equity and M&A lawyer. He advises private equity investors, corporate clients, families and management teams. He has extensive expertise in cross-border and domestic deals, including carve-outs, joint ventures, minority investments, corporate restructurings and management equity programs.
Mr. Oberbracht is “frequently recommended” for Private Equity and M&A (JUVE 2019/2020). Chambers Europe Germany 2020 ranks him in Band 2 for Private Equity. “‘He is amazingly good at negotiating,’ enthuses one interviewee'” (Chambers Europe Germany 2019). Chambers Global and Chambers Europe 2020 rank him in Germany Corporate/M&A: High-end Capability. Clients described him as “very strategic, smart and great in getting complex deals done” (Chambers Europe Germany 2019). The Legal 500 Germany has inaugurated him to their Hall of Fame for Private Equity, for his continued excellence and constant praise by clients. Handelsblatt / The Best Lawyers™ in Germany, Who’s Who Legal – Germany and IFLR1000 regularly list him as a leading lawyer for Private Equity, Corporate and M&A. WirtschaftsWoche recognized him as one of the Top Lawyers in M&A and Corporate (2020). He is recommended by Kanzleimonitor 2019/2020, a study of the German Inhouse Lawyers’ Association (BuJ). Clients comment: “When we have a transaction north of €100 million, he’s the guy I call”, “superb negotiator with significant amount of experience and a clear focus on client satisfaction”, “excellent market reputation for M&A work”, and “strong experience in public and private deals. He has a good sense of what the client wants.”
Prior to joining Gibson Dunn, Dirk Oberbracht was a corporate partner in the Frankfurt office of a renowned US law firm and headed such office for several years.
Mr. Oberbracht is fluent in German and English.
Representative transactions* include advising:
- Atlas Copco in connection with the €1.1 billion tender offer for ISRA VISION AG.
- Atlas Copco on the €486 million acquisition of Oerlikon Leybold, the vacuum segment of the Swiss Oerlikon group.
- CANAL+ on the €1 billion acquisition of M7 Group, a European pay-TV Operator, from Astorg, a private equity firm.
- Celanese on the acquisition of Nouryon’s Elotex® brand redispersible polymer powders business.
- Clariant and Ashland on the €257 million sale of ASK Chemicals, a leading manufacturer of foundry chemicals with facilities in 25 countries, to Rhône Capital.
- Dubai International Capital on the US$1.7 billion sale of Mauser, a leading industrial packaging company, to Clayton, Dubilier & Rice.
- Goldman Sachs as financial advisor on the €3.1 billion acquisition of Kabel Baden-Württemberg by Liberty Global, Inc.
- Heska Corporation on the acquisition of scil animal care GmbH, a veterinary point of care laboratory and imaging diagnostics leader, from Covetrus, Inc.
- HJM Investment GmbH & Co. KG on the sale of a stake in RENOLIT SE and the acquisition of RKW SE.
- Madison Dearborn Partners on the €800 million acquisition of Sirona Dental.
- Nordic Capital on the intended acquisition of a global hydraulic business (above €500 million).
- One Equity Partners on the acquisition of Alltub Group, a market leader in aluminum and Laminate specialty packaging for the cosmetics industry and other markets.
- One Equity Partners on the acquisition of transformer manufacturer SGB-SMIT from private equity investor BC Partners.
- One Equity Partners on the acquisition of Mauser, an international leading industrial manufacturing company, and the €850 million sale of Mauser to Dubai International Capital.
- One Equity Partners on the acquisition of Vacuumschmelze, a manufacturer of advanced magnetic materials, from The Morgan Crucible Company and the US$1 billion sale of Vacuumschmelze to OM Group.
- Stone Canyon Industries and its subsidiary BWAY on the US$2.3 billion acquisition of Mauser Group, a leading industrial packaging company, from Clayton, Dubilier & Rice.
- Triton, a PE fund, on several acquisitions.
- Triton on its investment in Meine Radiologie Holding.
- Triton on its acquisition of Lamina Technologies SA.
- Xella International S.A., a Holding company of funds advised by Goldman Sachs and PAI Partners, on the sale of Xella to Lone Star.
(*Includes experience prior to joining Gibson Dunn)