Gerry Spedale is a partner in the Houston office of Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher. His practice focuses on capital markets, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and corporate governance matters for companies in the energy industry, including MLPs. He has extensive experience representing issuers and investment banks in both public and private debt and equity offerings, including initial public offerings, convertible note offerings and offerings of preferred securities. He also has substantial experience in public and private company acquisitions and dispositions and board committee representations.
Mr. Spedale has been widely recognized, including The Legal 500 U.S. (2013), The Best Lawyers in America® (2012-2018), and Texas Super Lawyer – Rising Star (2004-2008).
- Affiliate of The Carlyle Group – purchase of $300 million of 7% Series B Cumulative Preferred Units of Black Stone Minerals, L.P. issued to finance Black Stone’s acquisition of mineral and royalty interests from Noble Energy, Inc.
- Initial Public Offerings (Representing Issuers or Underwriters) – 8point3 Energy Partners LP; Rice Midstream Partners LP; Enable Midstream Partners LP; Rice Energy Inc.; Valero Energy Partners LP; Athlon Energy Inc.; Delek Logistics Partners LP; Pacific Coast Oil Trust; Enduro Royalty Trust; PAA Natural Gas Storage, L.P.; TransMontaigne Partners LP; Alliance Resource Partners LP; Plains All American Pipeline LP; Torch Offshore Inc.
- Various Investment Banks – registered equity and debt offerings and 144A offerings for various issuers, including master limited partnerships
- CenterPoint Energy, Inc. – formation of a midstream joint venture with assets of over $11 billion involving OGE Energy Corp. and ArcLight Capital Partners; reorganization of Reliant Energy, Incorporated, including the formation of CenterPoint Energy, Inc. and the spin-off of Reliant Resources, Inc.; sale of Texas Genco Holdings, Inc., to multiple buyout funds; various acquisitions; numerous offerings of securities, including convertible debt securities
- Noble Corporation – $2.16 billion acquisition by Noble Corporation of FDR Holdings Ltd.; re-incorporation of Noble Corporation from the Cayman Islands to Switzerland
- Valero Energy Corporation – sale of Lima refinery; acquisition of Benecia refinery; numerous offerings of securities, including trust preferred securities; various asset dispositions
- Valero Energy Partners, LP – equity and debt offerings
- Marathon Oil Corporation – $3.5 billion acquisition of Eagle Ford shale assets; sale of St. Paul Park, Minnesota refinery and certain other downstream assets; acquisition of Khanty Mansiysk Oil Corporation; numerous offerings of securities
- Occidental Petroleum Corporation – acquisition of a 10% interest in the general partner of Plains All American Pipeline, L.P.
- Ergon, Inc. – sale of majority stake in Lion Oil Company; acquisition of the general partner of BlueKnight Energy Partners, L.P. and sale of asphalt terminals
- SunPower Corporation – formation and initial public offering of 8point3 Energy Partners, a joint venture YieldCo with First Solar, Inc.
- Dynegy Inc. – proposed $23 billion acquisition of Enron Corp.
- Shell Oil Company – $2.5 billion tender offer and merger proposal for Barrett Resources
- Delek US Holdings, Inc. – various asset dispositions
- CST Brands, Inc. – 144A debt offering and registered equity offering
- Toshiba International Corporation – various joint ventures and acquisitions of energy-related businesses
- Lehman Brothers Merchant Banking – various investments in energy-related businesses
- Denham Capital Management LP – various acquisitions of energy-related businesses; investment in and development of ethanol dehydration facility
Mr. Spedale earned his Juris Doctor magna cum laude in 1993 from Tulane University Law School, where he was elected to the Order of the Coif. He graduated cum laude in 1990 from Louisiana State University, where he received a Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science.
* Includes matters handled prior to joining Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP