Jamie Thomas is an English-qualified partner in the Singapore office of Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher. He is a member of the firm’s Global Finance, Capital Markets and Business Restructuring and Reorganization Practice Groups.
Mr. Thomas’ experience spans a range of markets including London, South and Southeast Asia. His focus is primarily on leveraged finance, restructurings, debt buy-backs, asset-backed lending, receivables financing, structured lending, cross-border finance, pre-IPO financings as well as expertise in reserves-based and other upstream oil & gas financing and financing for energy sector and the telecoms industry in Asia. He also regularly advises on resources related matters in markets such as Indonesia and India and complex finance transactions in emerging markets. Recently, he has been assisting a number of clients with alternative capital solutions such as Term Loan B, Unitranche and subscription line financings.
Chambers Asia Pacific 2018 and Chambers Global 2018 recognize and rank Mr. Thomas as a leading lawyer for Banking and Finance in Singapore, Indonesia and India. He “is noted for his ‘very strong’ knowledge of the Indian market, and has also been active on Indonesian-related matters” and is lauded for having “a better understanding of local and regional banking regulatory issues than the vast majority of finance lawyers in South-East Asia” by Chambers Asia Pacific based on client feedback and peer review.
Each year since 2011, Mr. Thomas has been a lead partner on major award winning finance-related deals in Asia:
- In 2016, he represented one of Indonesia’s largest independent exploration and production companies on a secured cross-border acquisition bridge facility arranged by Australia and New Zealand Banking Group Limited to finance the acquisition of a 40% stake in South Natuna Sea Block B from ConocoPhillips. This deal was named the “APAC Deal of the Year” by the Oil & Gas Council at its Asia Pacific Oil & Gas Awards 2017.
- In 2015, he was in the press for closing, in record time, three oil and gas financings in under thirty days. He led the team which represented:
- one of Indonesia’s largest independent exploration and production companies on its US$200 million Term Facility Agreement with PT Bank ANZ Indonesia, PT Bank DBS Indonesia, PT Bank Mandiri (Persero) Tbk, Standard Chartered Bank and Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation to refinance upstream gas operations in Senoro Field, Senoro-Toili PSC Block, Central Sulawesi in December 2015. This deal was named the “Indonesian Project Finance Deal of the Year” by The Asset at its Asia Infrastructure Awards 2016;
- a Singapore listed oil & gas company on its pre-production financing related to its investments in developing new oil fields in Indonesia which closed in December 2015; and
- an oil & gas company in Indonesia on its refinancing of a US$205 million credit facility with Credit Suisse and Deutsche Bank which signed in December 2015.
- In 2014, he represented Pertamina as the lead creditor in the restructuring of US$1.5 billion of debt owed to various creditors of an aromatics plant at Tuban, East Java, Indonesia owned by PT Trans-Pacific Petrochemical Indotama which was reported to be the largest restructuring of its kind in Indonesia.
- In 2014, he represented Sri Lanka’s premier diversified blue chip corporate conglomerate in respect of raising finance for its Waterfront Development Project which is a multi-use resort that includes a hotel, apartment complex, convention center, retail, entertainment facilities and office space. This transaction is reportedly the largest international borrowing to date by a Sri Lankan corporate in the country’s history and was preceded by Mr. Thomas representing the guarantor and lead arranger of Softlogic Finance’s issue of senior secured non-convertible debentures which were the first ever AAA-rated public issuance in Sri Lanka.
- In 2012 and 2013, he represented HSBC as intercreditor agent of the shared security of the financings supporting Alibaba Group Holding Limited’s successful privatization of Alibaba.com, China’s largest e-commerce company, and the financings supporting Alibaba’s repurchase of half of Yahoo’s 40 percent stake in it for US$7.1 billion. He also advised HSBC as facility agent of the financing by the international banks supporting the privatization. This deal was named 2012 “Take Private Deal of the Year” by China Business Law Journal, “Best China Deal” at the FinanceAsia Achievement Awards 2012, “Deal of the Year 2012” by ASIAN-MENA COUNSEL, “Loan of the Year” at the IFRAsia Awards 2012, “Syndicated Deal of the Year” and “Syndicated Acquisition Finance Deal of the Year” at the APLMA Asia Pacific Syndicated Loan Awards 2013 and “Equity Market Deal of the Year” and “M&A Deal of the Year” at the ALB Hong Kong Law Awards 2013.
- In 2011, he represented Deutsche Bank, as arranger, in a highly structured financing into India for Ackruti City Limited by the issue of offshore fully convertible debentures with a call option, with the money on-lent through onshore optionally partially convertible debentures, and a term loan facility, both secured by onshore security, to onshore project companies for slum redevelopment. This transaction was named “Deal of the Year” by India Business Law Journal and Asian-Counsel. It was also nominated for “Infrastructure and Real Estate Deal of the Year” by IFLR/Asialaw India Awards.
Mr. Thomas gained his degree specializing in oil and petrochemical science at Manchester University in 1994 and he gained his law qualifications (CPE in 1995 and LPC in 1996) from the College of Law with commendation. Mr. Thomas spent seven years at Clifford Chance and then was a partner at White & Case before moving with his team in January 2015 to Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher.
Mr. Thomas is a member of the Law Society of England and Wales and is on a Committee for the Asia Pacific Loan Market Association as well as other restructuring and finance committees in Asia.
Recent Awards and Recognition
- 2017: “APAC Deal of the Year” by the Oil & Gas Council at its Asia Pacific Oil & Gas Awards 2017.
- 2016: “Indonesian Project Finance Deal of the Year” by The Asset at its Asia Infrastructure Awards 2016.
- 2013: “Syndicated Deal of the Year” and “Syndicated Acquisition Finance Deal of the Year” at the APLMA Asia Pacific Syndicated Loan Awards 2013; “Equity Market Deal of the Year” and “M&A Deal of the Year” at the ALB Hong Kong Law Awards 2013.
- 2012: “Take Private Deal of the Year” by China Business Law Journal; “Best China Deal” at the FinanceAsia Achievement Awards 2012; “Deal of the Year 2012” by ASIAN-MENA COUNSEL; “Loan of the Year” at the IFRAsia Awards 2012.
- Pro bono award: Winner of the Wig and Pen prize (London and Westminster).
Recent Speaking Engagements and Publications
- Co-presenter, “Alternative capital, Term Loan B and Unitranche financings”, client seminars 2017
- Co-presenting to over 50 companies, financial institutions and alternative capital providers in Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Indonesia and Singapore on alternative capital and debt reprofiling, 2016 – 2017
- Co-presenting on Iran Sanctions to various financial institutions and oil and gas companies in Indonesia and Singapore, November 2015 and September 2016
- Co-presenting to a leading international financial institution Asia-wide on key finance provisions for credit and compliance teams to look out for in financings in South and Southeast Asia, December 2015
- Co-presenting to a leading international financial institution Asia-wide on structured financing and common pitfalls in various jurisdictions in South and Southeast Asia, September 2015
- Co-presenter, “Debt Capital Alternatives for SME Sector: Constructing Legal Agreements for Emerging Markets”, Colombo, Sri Lanka, December 2013
- Co-presenter, “Restructuring & Workouts”, Asia Pacific Loan Market Association, April 2010
- Co-presenter, “Leveraged Finance: An overview of legal issues in Singapore, China, Malaysia and India”, client seminars 2008 and 2009
- Co-author, “Market Disruption – Issues arising under APLMA/LMA and US Law Credit Agreements – A Global Perspective”, October 2008