Scott J. Calfas is a partner in Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher’s Los Angeles office and a member of the firm’s Corporate Transactions, Private Equity, REIT, Betting and Gaming, and Aerospace and Related Technologies Practice Groups. In his over 26 years at the firm he has been involved in a wide array of corporate and transactional matters. His areas of practice include representing private equity firms and their portfolio companies in mergers and acquisitions, representing real estate investment trusts (REITs) in public offerings, mergers, acquisitions and other matters, as well as general corporate and securities transactional work for public and private companies. Representative clients and matters include:
- William Hill PLC on its exclusive partnership with Eldorado Resorts, Inc. for sports betting operations in the United States.
- Ducommun Incorporated in the sale of its subsidiaries, LaBarge Electronics, Inc. (to Intervala, LLC) and Miltec Corporation (to General Atomics), in separate transactions.
- An affiliate of Rockpoint Group, L.L.C. in its investment in Roseland Residential, L.P., a subsidiary of Mack-Cali Realty Corporation.
- Lion Gables Apartment Fund, L.P. in its sale of Lion Gables Residential Trust, a private REIT which owned Gables Residential, to Clarion Partners in a transaction valued at over $3 billion.
- The independent directors of Pinnacle Entertainment in connection with a spin-off of certain Pinnacle assets and the sale of Pinnacle’s real estate to Gaming & Leisure Properties, Inc. in a transaction valued at approximately $4.75 billion.
- ADCO Global, Inc., a portfolio company of Aurora Capital Group, in its sale to an affiliate of Arsenal Capital Partners.
- United Plastics Group, a portfolio company of Aurora Capital Group, in its sale to Baird Capital Partners.
- A joint venture of Urban Partners and AREA Property Partners in its acquisition of Harbor Properties, Inc. and related assets and entities.
- Lexington Precision Corp., a portfolio company of Aurora Resurgence Management Partners, in its sale to Industrial Growth Partners.
- Air Lease Corporation in its initial capital infusion of over $1 billion via a 144A offering.
- Numerous REITs and REIT investors in connection with IPOs and other public and private offerings of securities, including follow-on offerings, shelf registration statements and take-downs, and UPREIT and downREIT contributions. Representative REITs include Evans Withycombe Residential, G&L Realty, Pacific Gulf Properties, Price REIT, and Mission West Properties (underwriter side).
- Numerous real estate funds in connection with structuring and executing private REITs.
- Numerous companies in their IPOs, including Herbalife, Kenfil Distribution and a number of REITs referenced above.
- Bulge bracket investment banks in the IPOs or follow-on offerings of the following companies: Intuitive Surgical, Trizetto Group, Quality Systems, Inc., Corinthian Colleges, Onyx Acceptance Corporation and others.
- Churchill Downs in its acquisition and subsequent disposition of Hollywood Park race track.
- Mars, Incorporated and its subsidiary, The Nutro Company, in a variety of corporate matters.
Mr. Calfas joined the firm after receiving his law degree cum laude from the University of Michigan in 1991. He received his Bachelor of Arts degree cum laude from UCLA in 1988. Mr. Calfas is a member of the Business Law Section of the American Bar Association and the State Bar of California, and of the Business and Corporations Law Section of the Los Angeles County Bar Association. He serves as a Member, and former Chairman, of the Board of Governors of the Institute of Corporate Counsel at USC Gould School of Law. Mr. Calfas has lectured and written on corporate and securities law matters.