Andrea Calla is an associate in the Abu Dhabi office of Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher, and a member of the Energy, Projects & Infrastructure and Mergers & Acquisitions practice groups.
Andrea’s practice focuses on advising corporations, financial institutions, governments and government-owned entities on a range of energy and infrastructure-related transactions, with a primary focus on upstream, midstream, downstream sectors, greenfield project development, renewables and transitional energy, as well broader corporate matters.
Andrea received his undergraduate law degree (LLB) with Honors from the University of Newcastle, and a postgraduate diploma in legal practice (LPC) with Distinction from the Nottingham Trent University.
He is admitted to practice in England and Wales.
Prior to joining Gibson Dunn, Andrea was a corporate associate based in the London and Abu Dhabi offices of a major international law firm. Andrea also completed a secondment to the Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC) where he focused on Upstream Oil and Gas.
Oil & Gas and Petrochemicals
- ADNOC on the award of exploration concession rights for Abu Dhabi Offshore Block 5 to a wholly-owned subsidiary of a consortium of four Pakistani companies: Pakistan Petroleum Limited, Mari Petroleum Company Limited, Oil and Gas Development Company Limited, and Government Holdings (Private) Limited.
- ADNOC on the award of exploration concession rights for Abu Dhabi Offshore Block 4 to a wholly-owned subsidiary of Japan’s Cosmo Energy Holdings Co., Ltd.
- ADNOC on the award of exploration concession rights for Abu Dhabi Offshore Block 3 to a consortium comprised of wholly-owned subsidiaries of Italy’s Eni S.p.A and Thailand’s PTT Exploration and Production Public Company Limited.
- ADNOC on the award of exploration rights for Abu Dhabi Onshore Block 5 to a wholly-owned subsidiary of Occidental Petroleum Corporation.
- ADNOC on a strategic partnership that confirms a $6.2 billion investment agreement between ADNOC and Borealis AG to build the fourth Borouge facility – Borouge 4 – at the polyolefin manufacturing complex in Ruwais, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.
- Mitsui E&P Middle East on the restructuring of its producing crude oil and natural gas assets onshore Oman.
- A client on the development of an ammonia production plant.
- ADNOC on its acquisition of a 25% stake in Borealis AG
- ADNOC on the expiry of Total’s Abu Al Bukhoosh offshore field concession and the transfer of operatorship and the integration of certain assets into the Umm Shaif and Nasr concession operated by ADNOC Offshore.
- ADNOC on the award to Lukoil of a participating interest in the ultra-sour gas Ghasha concession in Abu Dhabi with ADNOC, Eni, Wintershall DEA and OMV.
- Golar LNG Limited on the entry of its subsidiary – Gimi MS Corporation – into a 20-year Lease and Operate Agreement with BP for the charter of a Floating Liquefied Natural Gas Facility – the Gimi – designed to produce an average of approximately 2.5 million tonnes of LNG per annum, to service the ultra-deepwater Greater Tortue / Ahmeyim project straddling the offshore Mauritania and Senegal maritime border with total gas resources in the field estimated to be around 15 trillion cubic feet.
- Mitsui E&P UK Limited on the sale of its 8.97% working interest in the Britannia Field on the UK Continental Shelf to Zennor Petroleum.
- K-SURE and the commercial lenders on the $1 billion financing for the development of an LNG receiving and regasification terminal in Bahrain.
Renewables, Conventional Power and Utilities, and other Selected Experience
- A UAE company on the disposal of an integrated industrial waste treatment an disposal facilities in the UAE involving a full carve out.
- Masdar (Abu Dhabi Future Energy Company) on its development and financing of the 158 MW Cibuk 1 Wind Farm in the Republic of Serbia
- The lending group to the Marubeni and Jinko consortium on the development and financing of the $870 million 1.17 GW Sweihan Solar PV IPP in Abu Dhabi
- Sasol New Energy and Electricidade de Moçambique E.P., as sponsors, on all aspects of the development and project financing of a 150 MW gas engine IPP at Ressano Garcia.
- Sasol on its divestment of its entire interest in the 150 MW gas engine IPP at Ressano Garcia.
- JBIC and the commercial Lenders in relation to the $3 billion 2,525 MW / 136.5 MIGD “Facility D” IWPP in Qatar.
- Lenders in relation to the Mitsui / Engie bid for the 2,300 MW / 105 MIGD “Facility E” IWPP in Qatar.
- Engie on the sale of its stakes in Paiton (Indonesian power assets) to Nebras Power and Mitsui for approximately $1.5 billion and in Meenakshi (Indian power assets) for an undisclosed sum.
- Emirates Global Aluminium on a $1.6 billion bauxite mine and related infrastructure in Guinea.A client on the proposed acquisition of a Solar Power Plant in Africa.
*Includes representations prior to Andrea’s association with Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher.