Emad H. Khalil is a partner in the New York office of Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher. His practice focuses on U.S. and cross-border investments and co-investments, acquisitions, dispositions, and joint ventures, as well as related financings (including Islamic finance) and restructurings. His representations include control, minority and preferred equity investments; and asset-level construction, development, and operation.
Mr. Khalil regularly represents strategic, infrastructure fund and private equity clients in the renewable power, infrastructure, oil and gas, energy transition, and healthcare sectors. He also represents issuers and investors in connection with venture capital and growth equity investments in a broad range of sectors. He has represented clients throughout the United States, Latin America, the Caribbean, Asia, Europe and the Middle East.
Mr. Khalil was born in Cairo, Egypt and raised in New York City. In addition to New York, he has lived and worked in Singapore and Dubai. He is also fluent in Arabic.
He received his Juris Doctor from Harvard Law School in 1990 and his Bachelor of Arts from Cornell University in 1987. He is admitted to practice in New York.
- Abdul Latif Jameel: Venture capital, growth equity and LP investments in numerous sectors, including nuclear fusion, crypto, electric vehicles and biotech.
- Arcapita: Represented Bahrain-based private equity firm Arcapita as debtor in the first-ever U.S. bankruptcy court debtor in possession sharia financing; and first-ever U.S. bankruptcy court sharia exit financing.
- Berkshire Hathaway Energy: Acquisition of the 550 MW Topaz solar power project in California.
- Berkshire Hathaway Energy: Advise on numerous tax equity financings, including for the 298 MW Kingfisher wind power project in Oklahoma, the 419 MW Mesquite Star wind farm in Texas, and the 161 MW Wildorado wind farm in Texas.
- Blue Planet Funding: Advise on the development and financing of the 683 MW Dawn Solar project in Texas.
- Bonneville Environmental Foundation: Advise on the proposed development and financing of the 65 MW Tacoma Green Hydrogen project.
- Brookfield Renewable and Stonepeak: Up to US$ 1 billion investment in InterEnergy Group Ltd., a leading power developer and operator in Latin America and the Caribbean.
- Charleston Stevedoring Company, LLC: Advise on operations at the Port of Charleston, South Carolina.
- Confidential Client: Represent Committee of the Board of Directors of a Vehicle-to-Grid (V2G) company.
- Confidential Client: Represent private equity client in connection with the acquisition of a pharmaceutical distribution company in the Middle East.
- Confidential Client: Growth capital investment in European autonomous electric vehicle company.
- Confidential Client: Joint venture with European car dealership.
- Confidential Client: Joint venture with Asian electric car manufacturer.
- Confidential Client: Represent European company in the acquisition of a U.S. water treatment company.
- Confidential Client: Advise on proposed bid for Global Container Terminals’ operations in Staten Island in New York and Bayonne in New Jersey.
- Confidential Client: Advise European Infrastructure Fund on their bid for North Carolina-based solar and storage developer Cypress Creek Renewables.
- Cullgen Inc.: US$ 40 million financing for San Diego, CA and Shanghai, China-based biotechnology company developing small molecule therapeutics.
- EDBI (Venture arm of the Singapore Government): Numerous biotech venture investments including into CombinatoRx, ES Cell International, Fluidigm, Idenix, Ivantis, MerlionPharma, Paradigm Therapeutics, and Vanda Pharmaceuticals.
- Gateway Terminals, LLC: Advise on operations at the Port of Savannah Georgia.
- Gilead Sciences: Advise on the procurement of fuel cell power from Bloom Energy.
- Government of Barbados: Advise on implementing the Barbados National Energy Policy goal of 100% renewable energy and a carbon neutral island- state by 2030, including unbundling of the power sector and developing new licenses for generation, energy storage, transmission/distribution and supply, and system operator.
- Heights Legacy LLC: Venture capital investment in Blockskye Inc. which provides inventory booking, payment, expense, authorization, and settlement solutions for enterprise travel and procurement enabled by blockchain.
- I Squared Capital: Co-investments for US$ 1.3 billion acquisition of IC Power’s Latin American and Caribbean power portfolio from Kenon Holdings Ltd.
- I Squared Capital: Co-investments for US$ 1.2 billion acquisition from Duke Energy of a portfolio of hydroelectric and natural gas generation plants, transmission infrastructure and natural gas processing facilities, totaling 2,300 MW in Peru, Chile, Ecuador, Guatemala, El Salvador and Argentina.
- I Squared Capital: Co-investments for US$ 1.9 billion acquisition of Hong Kong fixed-line business Hutchinson Global Communications.
- Limetree Bay Ventures: Advise on the proposed out-of-court restructuring of the contractual and financial arrangements for this refinery located in St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands.
- Macquarie Infrastructure and Real Assets Inc.: Representation of NYNJ Link (controlled Macquarie vehicle) in connection with its successful bid to demolish the existing Goethals Bridge connecting Staten Island, New York with Elizabeth, New Jersey, and to obtain a 35-year concession from the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, its over US$ 1 billion equity and debt financing, and its construction, operation and maintenance of the replacement Goethals Bridge.
- SB Energy (SoftBank Group Corp.’s U.S.-based solar and storage platform): Represent SB Energy in connection with its joint venture with Intersect Power, its financing and construction of utility-scale projects, its negotiation of a senior revolving credit facility and its acquisition of five U.S. solar power plants with a combined capacity of more than 1.7 GW from Intersect Power.
- SMC Infrastructure Partners: Acquisition and debt and equity financing of Miami, FL-based infrastructure paving contractor General Asphalt a leader in specialized infrastructure construction and maintenance in South Florida, with a specific focus on the aviation surface subsector.
- SMC Infrastructure Partners: Acquisition and debt and equity financing of Fort Lauderdale, FL-based Hypower, LLC, a critical infrastructure electrical contractor focused on serving owners and operators of aviation, electrification, energy transition, telecom, and transportation assets.
- VIelectron: Advise on the development and financing of five solar power and related battery storage projects in the U.S. Virgin Islands.