Shaun A. Mathur is an associate in the Los Angeles office of Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher, where his practice focuses on complex commercial litigation at the trial and appellate levels. He is a member of the firm’s Litigation, Appellate and Constitutional Law, Class Actions, Media, Entertainment and Technology, and Intellectual Property Practice Groups.
Shaun represents clients in a variety of industries, including technology, media and entertainment, consumer products, automobile, insurance, and pharmaceutical, among others. He has extensive experience advising clients in copyright and trademark infringement disputes, class actions, and mass arbitrations. Shaun also has drafted numerous merits and amicus briefs in the U.S. Supreme Court, multiple federal circuit courts, and all levels of the California appellate courts, and has presented oral argument to the Seventh Circuit. He has been recognized by Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in America™ for Technology Law (2021-2024), Entertainment and Sports Law, and Litigation – Intellectual Property (2023-2024).
- Obtained reversal in the U.S. Supreme Court of the Ninth Circuit’s judgment awarding $12.8 million in non-taxable litigation expenses under the Copyright Act
- Obtained reversal in the California Court of Appeal of fraudulent concealment verdict and punitive damages award levied against automobile manufacturer
- Obtained reversal in the Ninth Circuit of $100 million judgment against large retailer
- Prevailing before the First Circuit on the scope of the Section 1 exemption to the Federal Arbitration Act, on behalf of gig economy company
- Obtained partial affirmance in the Ninth Circuit of order granting summary judgment on copyright infringement and business tort claims asserted against software company
- Obtained complete defense verdict in federal trademark infringement and unfair competition action filed against large social media and entertainment platform
- Obtained dismissal with prejudice of trademark infringement claims in two lawsuits brought against media companies relating to alleged use of images on online properties, which was affirmed on appeal, and currently defending against copyright infringement claims
- Obtained numerous orders from state and federal courts compelling individual arbitration and dismissing and/or staying class and representative actions alleging worker misclassification
- Obtained stay of preliminary injunction entered against ride-share platform in action brought by the California Attorney General and represented ride-share platform in appeal of injunction
- Obtained favorable settlement for water purification start-up company in action alleging that one of the company’s founders fraudulently concealed material information from the other founders
- Obtained favorable settlement for cosmetics company in copyright infringement lawsuit alleging that cosmetics company’s advertisement infringed plaintiff’s copyrighted painting
- Obtained favorable settlement for pretrial detainee in civil rights lawsuit alleging his substantive and procedural due process rights were violated during 8.5 year term of solitary confinement
- Represented software company at trial against claims of copyright infringement and numerous business torts
- Represented media and broadcasting company in contract dispute relating to broadcast of awards show
Before joining the firm, Shaun served as a law clerk to the Honorable Carolyn B. McHugh of the United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit, and to the Honorable Robert J. Shelby of the United States District Court for the District of Utah.
He graduated with Highest Honors and Order of the Coif from the S.J. Quinney College of Law at the University of Utah, where he served as an articles editor on the Utah Law Review. He earned his Bachelor of Science degree in Chemistry from Stony Brook University.
Shaun is a member of the State Bar of California and is admitted to practice before the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh, Ninth, and Tenth Circuits.