Bethany Saul (she/her) is an associate in the Litigation Department, where she specializes in trial litigation and complex civil litigation. She represents clients in commercial disputes across a range of practice areas, including securities litigation, bankruptcy, antitrust, and employment disputes. Bethany has considerable trial experience, including arbitral hearings and bench trials, in federal and state courts.
Her recent matters include:
- Represented CEO and board of directors of publicly-traded company in corporate control contest, including trial in Delaware Court of Chancery.
- Represented publicly-traded satellite company in breach of contract and unjust enrichment action, including two-week bench trial in federal court.
- Briefed successful motion to dismiss, circuit appeal, and opposition to U.S. Supreme Court petition for writ of certiorari for Fortune-500 energy company in $18 billion arbitral enforcement action.
- Briefed successful motion to dismiss all claims in federal court for Fortune-500 company in antitrust class action.
- Represented foreign energy company in breach of contract action, including two-week arbitral hearing.
Bethany also maintains an active pro bono practice.
- Reproductive justice – Bethany currently represents plaintiffs in a nationally-watched reproductive justice matter, securing TROs and relief from state-wide abortion bans.
- Asylum & immigration – Bethany represents minors and LGBTQ+ individuals in affirmative and defensive asylum and immigration matters at the agency, trial, and appellate levels. She has stand-up experience in family court and agency representations.
- LGBTQ+ rights – Bethany has an active amicus practice, advocating for the interests of multiple non-profit organizations on behalf of LGBTQ+ youth in numerous federal district and circuit courts.
Most recently, Bethany won the 2023 Frank Wheat Memorial Award for her unparalleled commitment to pro bono work and, in particular, helping LGBTQ+ individuals obtain asylum to escape persecution in their home countries. Bethany serves on the Junior Board of Legal Services NYC. She is also actively involved in diversity and mentorship programming, serving as a member of the NY Hiring Committee, Co-Chair of the New York Office LGBTQ+ committee, and member of the New York LGBT Bar.
Bethany earned her B.A. from Boston University, summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, and her J.D. from New York University School of Law, where she was a research assistant for Professor Arthur R. Miller and revised the Wright & Miller Federal Practice & Procedure treatise. She served as an extern to the Honorable Judge J. Paul Oetken of the Southern District of New York.
Speaking Engagements & Publications
- Featured, In Their Words: Attorneys’ Most Memorable Pro Bono Work, Law360 (Oct. 2023)
- Panelist, Diversity in the Law, Gibson Dunn (May 2022).
- Featured, Next-Gen Women Lawyers Explain How They’re Creating Change in a Complex System, Vice (Jun. 29, 2021).
- Moderator and Panelist, Impact of Discretionary Decision-Making on LGBTQ+ Asylum Clients in the UK and US, Gibson Dunn (Jun. 2021).
- Co-Author, Online Dispute Resolution: An Option for Times of Crisis and Calm (Mar. 20, 2020).