Andrew M. Herman is a partner in the Washington, D.C. office of Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher. He is a member of the firm’s Mergers and Acquisitions and Private Equity Practice Groups.
Mr. Herman’s practice focuses on advising private equity sponsors and their portfolio companies on leveraged buyouts, growth equity investments and other transactions. He also advises public companies on mergers and acquisitions transactions, securities law compliance and corporate governance. He is experienced in advising on the acquisition and sale of sports franchises.
Mr. Herman’s representative clients include MidOcean Partners, ATL Partners, Quad-C Management, Arlington Capital, Revolution Growth, Exelon Corporation, Tutor Perini and Monumental Sports and Entertainment (holding company of the Washington Wizards, Washington Capitals and Washington Mystics).
Mr. Herman has been recognized as a top lawyer by Chambers USA from 2011 to present. He also has been listed in the 2013-2018 editions of Super Lawyers and was recognized as a Notable practitioner in IFLR1000 2019. In Chambers, Mr. Herman is described as “a good, detail-oriented lawyer,” with clients noting that he “works really well with other attorneys and has a good bedside manner.” Prior to joining Gibson Dunn, Mr. Herman was a partner with Kirkland & Ellis.
Representative Clients and Transactions
Private Equity Sponsor Transactions
- MidOcean Partners in numerous transactions, including:
- Acquisition of Hanley Wood
- Acquisition of Florida Food Products
- $650 million acquisition of Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc., a NYSE-listed company, and subsequent sale of majority interest in Legal Shield (f/k/a Pre-Paid Legal Services) to Stone Point Capital*
- Acquisition of The Planet Equity Group*
- Acquisition of BH Cosmetics*
- $1.0 billion sale of Water Pik, Inc. to Church & Dwight Co., Inc.*
- Acquisition of Agilex Flavors & Fragrances and subsequent sale to Firmenich*
- $1.56 billion sale of Penton to Informa plc*
- Acquisition of Holiday Group and Travelpro International*
- Sale of Global Knowledge to Rhone Capital*
- Equity investment in All Systems Holding LLC and subsequent sale to Thomas H. Lee Partners*
- ATL Partners and Public Sector Pension Investment Board in the formation of a new aircraft leasing platform, SKY Leasing, and the subsequent sale of its international operations to Goshawk Aviation Ltd.
- ATL Partners and BCI in the acquisition of Pilot Air Freight*
- Arlington Capital Partners in numerous transactions, including:
- Acquisition of Perfekta Inc. by Cadence Aerospace
- Acquisition of Cadence Aerospace from Court Square Capital Partners*
- Acquisition of Avalign Technologies Holdings, Inc. from RoundTable Healthcare Partners*
- Quad-C Management, Inc. in numerous transactions, including:
- Acquisition of S.i. Systems
- Acquisition of Galleher Corp.*
- Acquisition of Stanton Carpet Corp.*
- Formation of Compassion First, a veterinary services organization, and subsequent acquisitions of additional pet hospitals, and subsequent pending sale to JAB Holdings*
- Greenbriar Equity in its acquisition of Lazer Spot*
- Pamplona Capital Management in its acquisition of Beacon Rail Leasing*
- Revolution Growth in its investment in Optoro, Inc.*
- Revolution Growth in its investment in Shinola*
- CEB Inc. in its $3.3 billion sale to Gartner, Inc.*
- Piedmont Natural Gas in its $4.9 billion sale to Duke Energy*
- Macquarie Infrastructure and Real Assets as the leader of a consortium of investors in the $4.7 billion acquisition of Cleco Corporation*
- Exelon Corporation in its $7 billion acquisition of Pepco Holdings Inc.*
- Freshpet, Inc. in its Initial Public Offering*
- Greenbriar Equity in its acquisition of EDAC Technologies Corporation, a NASDAQ-listed company*
- Special committee of board of directors of SRA International in $1.9 billion going private transaction to Providence Equity Partners*
- Constellation Energy in $4.5 billion sale of 49.99% of its nuclear generation business and $2.6 billion of related liquidity enhancement transactions with Électricité de France SA*
Other Representative Matters
- Monumental Sports & Entertainment in the investment by Laurene Powell Jobs in the partnership that owns the Washington Capitals, Washington Wizards, Washington Mystics, Capital One Arena, and other sports and entertainment assets and businesses*
- Monumental Sports & Entertainment in its acquisition of a 33% equity interest in Comcast SportsNet Mid-Atlantic Holdings and the sale of a 33% equity interest in Monumental Sports Network to NBCUniversal Media*
- BofA Merrill Lynch, as financial advisor to The Sterling Family Trust, in the $2 billion sale of the Los Angeles Clippers basketball franchise to Steve Ballmer, former CEO of Microsoft Corp.*
- Carolina Hurricanes in the sale of control to Tom Dundon, managing partner of Dundon Capital Partners*
- Federated Sports & Gaming, Inc. in general corporate matters and venture financings*
- Monumental Sports & Entertainment in its acquisition of the Washington Wizards, Washington Mystics, Capital One Arena (f/k/a Verizon Center) and related businesses*
- Longwing Real Estate Ventures in connection with acquisition with minority interest in New Jersey Nets and of hotel and commercial properties*
- a number of clients seeking opportunities to acquire potential ownership of professional sports franchises
Mr. Herman graduated in 1995 from Columbia University School of Law, where he was a Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar and the submissions editor of the Journal of Transactional Law. He received a master’s degree with honors in accounting from the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill in 1992.
*Engagements prior to joining Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher.