Matthew Parrott is an associate in the Orange County Office of Gibson Dunn and a member of the firm’s Antitrust and Trade Regulation Practice and its Litigation Department.
Mr. Parrott’s practice focuses primarily on antitrust and competition litigation and counseling. He represents clients in criminal and civil antitrust litigations and investigations, class actions, alternative dispute resolution proceedings, and appeals. Additionally, Mr. Parrott represents clients in various other types of matters, including securities and shareholder derivative, patent and licensing, breach of contract, business tort, consumer fraud and unfair competition, and privacy litigation. Mr. Parrott is experienced in all phases of litigation—from drafting and responding to pleadings to conducting trials and appeals.
Mr. Parrott’s representative antitrust and competition matters include the following:
- Defense of a multi-national manufacturing company in a federal antitrust price-fixing grand jury investigation and in direct and indirect purchaser class actions and other consolidated proceedings in federal court and alternative dispute resolution proceedings.
- Defense of a pharmaceutical company in federal antitrust litigation involving sham litigation and "product hopping" claims.
- Defense of a chemical manufacturing company in a direct purchaser antitrust price‑fixing class action lawsuit in federal court.*
- Defense of a financial services company in federal litigation involving allegations by the Department of Justice, state attorneys general, class plaintiffs, and other parties that contractual provisions violated the antitrust laws.*
- Defense of a financial services company in federal antitrust litigation accusing company of conspiring with other financial services companies to adopt arbitration clauses barring class actions in consumer agreements.*
- Antitrust counseling to various U.S. and international companies.
Mr. Parrott’s representative securities matters include the following:
- Defense of current and former directors of a pharmaceutical company in federal shareholder derivative actions arising out of the company’s $600 million settlement of government investigations and qui tam complaints.
- Representation of a consulting and accounting firm in Securities and Exchange Commission proceedings.
- Defense of a medical services company and individual defendants in a putative securities class action litigation and shareholder derivative actions in federal courts.*
Mr. Parrott’s representative other matters include the following:
- Defense of a pharmaceutical company regarding a dispute over interpretation of a patent license agreement in which plaintiff claimed it was entitled to $600 million in additional royalties based on its interpretation of the agreement. Summary judgment was entered in favor of our client, pursuant to which the Court accepted our client’s interpretation of the agreement and dismissed plaintiff’s claim for the additional royalties.
- Representation of a pharmaceutical company alleging that defendants misappropriated its trade secrets and committed other business torts in federal court.
- Defense of affiliated hospitals in coordinated class actions filed in Orange County Superior Court, Civil Complex, asserting violations of the Confidentiality of Medical Information Act and Consumer Records Act, as well as other state law claims, arising from alleged disclosure of patient information.
- Defense of a pharmaceutical company regarding various patent license royalty disputes with patent licensors in federal court.
- Representation of an information technologies company regarding breach of contract claims and other business tort disputes in various state court and arbitration proceedings.
- Defense of a technology company regarding business tort allegations brought by a competitor in the Complex Commercial Litigation Division of Delaware Superior Court.
- Pro bono representation of various clients in immigration matters, social security benefits proceedings, and other counseling.
*Includes matters handled prior to joining Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP.
Mr. Parrott recently completed a two month secondment to the California Orange County District Attorney’s Office as part of its Trial Attorney Partnership program. As a Deputy District Attorney, Mr. Parrott secured multi-count guilty verdicts in two criminal trials, conducted dozens of preliminary hearings, and argued suppression motions and other matters in the Orange County Superior Court.
Prior to joining Gibson Dunn, Mr. Parrott was a litigation associate with Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP in New York City. Mr. Parrott also was a member of the adjunct faculty at Fordham University School of Law.
Mr. Parrott served as a law clerk to the Honorable Loretta A. Preska (Chief Judge, Southern District of New York) and the Honorable Kenneth F. Ripple (Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals).
Mr. Parrott received his J.D. from Fordham University School of Law and his B.A., magna cum laude, with honors from Lafayette College.
Mr. Parrott is a member of the State Bars of California and New York. He is admitted to practice before several district and appellate courts.