Robert B. Little is a partner in Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher’s Dallas office. He is a member of the firm’s Mergers and Acquisitions, Capital Markets, Energy and Infrastructure, Private Equity, Securities Regulation and Corporate Governance, Global Finance, and Corporate Transactions practice groups. Mr. Little serves on the Gibson Dunn Hiring Committee and is the hiring partner for the Dallas office.
Consistently recognized as one of The Best Lawyers in America®, Mr. Little’s practice focuses on corporate transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, securities offerings, joint ventures, investments in public and private entities, and commercial transactions. He also advises business organizations regarding matters such as securities law disclosure, corporate governance, and fiduciary obligations. In addition, he represents investment funds and their sponsors along with investors in such funds. Mr. Little has represented clients in a variety of industries, including energy, retail, technology, transportation, manufacturing, and financial services.
In 2013, Mr. Little was the youngest corporate M&A lawyer in Texas to receive a ranking by Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business. Chambers noted that Mr. Little “attracted a raft of glowing comments, with one interviewee noting: ‘He is very personable and one of the best lawyers in negotiations at keeping the relationship with the other side good. He is a fantastic lawyer with great commercial and interpersonal skills.’” Chambers 2014 observed that he has a “remarkable grasp of legal issues” and “provides outstanding legal work.” The 2015 edition noted that he “receives extensive praise from clients and peers who describe him as ‘extremely thorough and very knowledgeable.’”
Texas Lawyer named Mr. Little to its 2013 list of “Legal Leaders on the Rise” recognizing Texas lawyers under age 40 whose accomplishments distinguish them from their peers. In addition, Dallas Business Journal named Mr. Little to its list of Who’s Who in Energy 2013, featuring “the movers and shakers of the energy industry.”
Mr. Little received his law degree in 1998 with highest honors from The University of Texas School of Law, where he was named a Chancellor and a member of Order of the Coif and served as Articles Editor of the Texas Law Review. He also holds a B.A. from Baylor University, where he graduated summa cum laude in 1995.
Prior to joining Gibson Dunn in 2011, Mr. Little was a partner in the Dallas office of Vinson & Elkins. He previously served as a law clerk to The Honorable Patrick Higginbotham of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit.
Mr. Little is the Chairman of the Mergers & Acquisitions Section of the Dallas Bar Association and is admitted to practice in Texas. He is a frequent writer and speaker on corporate law matters.
- Counsel to Tenet Healthcare Corporation in multiple joint venture transactions
- Counsel to Energy Future Intermediate Holding Company LLC, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Energy Future Holdings Corp. (f/k/a TXU Corp.), in its Chapter 11 post-petition debtor-in-possession capital markets financing transactions
- Counsel to Berkshire Hathaway Energy in its acquisition of publicly-traded NV Energy, Inc. for $10 billion
- Counsel to Berkshire Hathaway Energy in its acquisition of a Texas wind power project
- Counsel to MetroPCS in its $32 billion dollar combination with U.S. mobile phone carrier
- Counsel to Carlson Capital in its acquisition of a majority equity position in SWK Holdings Corp.
- Counsel to American Airlines, Inc. in its multi-billion dollar acquisition of 260 aircraft from Airbus S.A.S.
- Counsel to Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co. and TPG Capital in connection with their $45 billion acquisition of TXU Corp. (co-counsel)
- Counsel to Energy Future Holdings Corp. (f/k/a TXU Corp.) in its liability management transactions, including private and registered exchange offers totaling over $10 billion
- Counsel to Woodbine Holdings, an E&P company, in its sale to a Chinese buyer for approximately $560 million
- Counsel to Anchorage Capital Group in its secured notes and warrants investment in Woodbine Acquisition Corporation, an E&P company
- Counsel to Haggar Corp., a publicly held apparel company, in its sale to a group of private equity firms
- Counsel to Luminant Generation Company in its joint venture with Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Ltd. to construct two additional nuclear power generating units at Luminant’s Comanche Peak facility
- Counsel to Pioneer Natural Resources Company in its strategic acquisition of Evergreen Resources, Inc. in a stock and cash transaction valued at approximately $2.1 billion
- Counsel to Wayzata Investment Partners LLC in its acquisition of power generation assets at the Gila River Power Station in Maricopa County, Arizona, from Entegra Power Group LLC
- Counsel to MetaSolv, Inc. in its sale of equity securities to private equity investors
- Counsel to Tempur-Pedic International Inc. in its acquisition of a Canadian distributor
- Counsel to Crow Holdings in the sale of a real estate portfolio for $2.2 billion
- Counsel to Energy Future Holdings Corp. (f/k/a TXU Corp.) in high yield offerings totaling over $2.5 billion
- Counsel to investor in its acquisition of convertible preferred stock of Red Mango, Inc.
- Counsel to Blockbuster Inc. in its split-off transaction from Viacom Inc.
- Counsel to MetaSolv, Inc. in its sale to Oracle Corporation
- Counsel to Range Resources Corporation in its acquisition of Stroud Energy, Inc. for approximately $450 million
- Counsel to CFH Industrial Trust in its $1.5 billion sale to ING Clarion
* Includes matters handled prior to joining Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP
Publications and Presentations
- “Update on Confidentiality, Letters of Intent and Other Preliminary Agreements,” Panelist, The University of Texas School of Law 10th Annual Mergers and Acquisitions Institute, October 16, 2014
- “Delaware Decision Highlights Practical Difficulties in Seeking Indemnification for Third Party Claims in M&A Agreements,” INSIGHTS, Volume 28, No. 4, April 2014 (co-author with Chris Babcock)
- “A Clear Path To Section 363 Sale Challenges,” Law360, February 6, 2014 (co-author with Chris Babcock and Jeremy Graves)
- “Hot Topics for the 2014 Proxy Season,” Securities Section of the Dallas Bar Association, January 27, 2014 (co-presenter with Katherine Cournoyer)
- “Top Five M&A Lessons From Delaware Courts in 2013,” Delaware Business Court Insider, January 21, 2014 (co-author with Caitlin Calloway)
- “New Reg D: Implications for Offering Publicly-Traded Securities as Consideration in Private Acquisitions,” Deal Lawyers, November-December 2013 (co-author with James Moloney and Anthony Shoemaker)
- “Guidance for Boards of Public Company M&A Targets,” Corporate Counsel, October 18, 2013 (co-author with Jeff Henderson)
- “Confidentiality and Other Preliminary Agreements in the M&A Context: Building the Right Foundation for Today’s Market,” Panelist, The University of Texas School of Law 9th Annual Mergers and Acquisitions Institute, October 17, 2013
- “Into the Fire: The Latest Guidance for Boards of Directors in M&A Transactions,” Speaker, SMU Corporate Counsel Symposium, October 11, 2013
- “A Checklist for the Early Stages of an M&A Transaction,” Texas Lawyer, May 13, 2013 (co-author with Steven Schaefer)
- “How Would Delaware Courts Treat Fiduciary-Out Provisions?,” Delaware Business Court Insider, April 17, 2013 (co-author with Caitlin Peterson)
- “Walking the High Wire: Guidelines for Board of Director Designees Of Private Equity Funds, Activist Stockholders and Other Investors,” Bloomberg/BNA’s Securities Regulation & Law Report, December 10, 2012 (co-author with Chris Babcock)
- “Covering the Bases: When it comes to making representations and warranties, timing can be everything,” The Deal, July 16, 2012 (co-author with Travis Souza)
- “Ins and Outs of Purchasing Natural Gas-Fueled Power Plants,” Texas Lawyer, July 16, 2012
- “Beware Damage Waiver Provisions In M&A Agreements,” Law360, July 13, 2012 (co-author with Chris Babcock)
- “M&A Confidentiality Agreements – Recent Guidance From Delaware,” The M&A Lawyer, Volume 16, Issue 6, June 2012 (co-author with Eduardo Gallardo and Travis Souza)
- “Drafting M&A Confidentiality Agreements,” INSIGHTS, Volume 26, No. 5, May 2012 (co-author with Eduardo Gallardo and Travis Souza)
- “Important Deal Points in Acquiring a Natural Gas-Fired Power Plant,” West LegalEdcenter Webcast, May 24, 2012 (co-presenter with Jonathan Whalen)
- “Private Placement of Publicly Traded Equity Securities as Consideration in an M&A Transaction after the JOBS Act,” Gibson Dunn Securities Regulation and Corporate Governance Monitor, April 18, 2012 (co-author with Anthony Shoemaker)
- “In the Cross-Hairs: How to Respond When an Unfriendly Buyer Targets You,” Dallas Bar Association Mergers & Acquisitions Section, September 13, 2011, and West LegalEdcenter Webcast, November 16, 2011 (co-presenter with Travis S. Souza)
- “Steering Clear of Hazards: A Director’s Guide to Duties and Protections in the Vicinity of Insolvency,” SMU 18th Annual Corporate Counsel Symposium, October 1, 2010 (co-author with Elizabeth M. Viney)