Associate Director, Benefits
Gibson Dunn is a leading global law firm, advising clients on significant transactions and disputes. Our exceptional teams craft and deploy creative legal strategies that are meticulously tailored to every matter, however complex or high-stakes. The firm’s work is distinguished by a unique combination of precision and vision.
Based in Los Angeles, New York or Washington, D.C., the Associate Director, Benefits is responsible for driving the strategy, design, development, communication and administration of the firm’s global health and welfare, and retirement plan benefits.
The Associate Director, Benefits will report directly to the Chief Human Resources Officer and will work directly with members across the HR and Payroll teams and will liaise and interact directly with individuals at all levels, across the firm.
The Associate Director, Benefits is responsible for the direct supervision, development, and assignment of work of their team members, including a Benefits Manager, senior retirement plan analyst, benefits coordinator, specialists and assistant.
• Develops and oversees the firm’s global benefits strategy and policies across the firm to ensure alignment with the firm’s objectives.
• Advises, consults and serves as a member of the firm’s Benefits Committee and Retirement Committee.
• Designs, develops, and administers the company’s benefit plans and programs, including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, disability, retirement/401(k), and any other ancillary benefits.
• Reviews and analyzes the benefits market to determine trends, regulations and practices, and develops competitive programs and offering for the firm’s lawyers and staff.
• Manages vendor relationships and negotiates plan coverage, services, and costs with carriers and brokers.
• Strong leadership and team management skills.
• Critical thinking and sound judgment with ability to analyze and resolve problems.
• Highly effective communication skills (written and verbal) to interact with all levels of leadership, and technology and business partners along with managing a productive working relationship.
• Experience in providing accurate, timely and responsive support on complex problems.
• Ability to prioritize multiple projects/deliverables to meet deadlines.
• Capable of maintaining confidence of personal and highly sensitive information.
• Demonstrated high level of proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources or related field or equivalent relevant work experience, required. Certification as a PHR, SPHR or CEBS preferred.
• Minimum of eight (8) years’ experience with overseeing and managing benefits, preferably in a law firm or similarly structured professional services firm.
• Demonstrated knowledge of Human Resources policies and practices, as well as knowledge of all pertinent federal and state regulations and filing and compliance requirements affecting employee benefits programs, including but not limited to, the ACA, HIPPA, ERISA, COBRA and Section 125 requirements.
• Experience with administering and navigating global benefits, regulatory requirement and country specific laws and practices a must.
Gibson Dunn will consider for employment qualified Applicants with Criminal Histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of local law.
Compensation & Benefits:
The annual compensation range for this position is $175-225k. The salary offered within this range will depend upon qualifications and other operational considerations.
Benefits offered for this position include health care; retirement benefits; paid days off, including sick time, and vacation time; parental leave; basic life insurance; Flexible Spending Accounts; as well as discretionary, performance-based bonuses.
GIBSON DUNN & CRUTCHER LLP IS COMMITTED TO THE PRINCIPLES OF EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY FOR ALL PARTNERS, EMPLOYEES AND APPLICANTS AND, IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE APPLICABLE FEDERAL AND STATE LAWS, DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF SEX, RACE, CREED, COLOR, RELIGION, MATRICULATION OR POLITICAL AFFILIATION, NATIONAL ORIGIN, ALIENAGE OR CITIZENSHIP STATUS, ANCESTRY, AGE, MARITAL STATUS OR PARTNERSHIP STATUS, FAMILY RESPONSIBILITIES, DISABILITY, MEDICAL CONDITION, PERSONAL APPEARANCE, GENETIC INFORMATION, PREDISPOSING GENETIC CHARACTERISTICS, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, MILITARY STATUS, STATUS AS A VICTIM OF DOMESTIC VIOLENCE, STALKING AND SEX OFFENSES, ARREST OR CONVICTION RECORD, OR ON ANY OTHER BASIS PROHIBITED BY LAW.