Tull Florey is a partner in the Houston office of Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher and a member of the firm’s Mergers & Acquisitions, Capital Markets, Oil & Gas and Securities Regulation and Corporate Governance practice groups. He has an extensive corporate and securities law practice, emphasizing transactional and governance matters. His practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions and securities offerings for companies in the energy industry. He has particular experience with clients engaged in oilfield service, oil and gas exploration and production, oilfield equipment manufacturing, midstream and seismic activities. He also assists clients on an ongoing basis with general corporate concerns, including Exchange Act reporting, corporate governance and Section 16 matters.
Mr. Florey has been widely recognized, including Chambers USA (2018-2021), The Legal 500 U.S. (2013), The Best Lawyers in America® (2006-2022), and Texas Super Lawyer (2010-2016, 2019-2021).
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Pioneer Natural Resources – $8 billion acquisition of Parsley Energy, Inc.
- Expro Group – proposed $3 billion combination transaction with Frank’s International N.V.
- Valaris plc – $12 billion combination transaction of Ensco plc and Rowan Companies plc
- Atwood Oceanics, Inc. – $2 billion acquisition by Ensco plc
- Contango Oil & Gas Company – acquisition of Mid-Con Energy Partners, LP and acquisition of assets of Will Energy Corporation
- American Midstream Partners, LP – proposed $815 million acquisition of Southcross Energy Partners, L.P. and substantially all of the assets of Southcross Holdings LP, $170 million sale of propane marketing and services business to SHV Energy N.V. and acquisition of the assets of Panther Asset Management, LLC
- Arkoma Drilling, L.P. and Williston Drilling – sale of Bakken shale oil and gas assets to Comstock Resources
- Civeo Corporation – acquisition of Noralta Lodge Ltd., acquisition of 400 room accommodations facility from Lakeland, L.L.C and redomicile transaction from Delaware to British Columbia, Canada
- Patterson-UTI Energy, Inc. – $262 million acquisition of Multi-Shot, LLC
- John Wood Group plc – formation of joint venture with Siemens AG with assets over $1 billion, $2.8 billion sale of Well Support Division to General Electric Company and acquisitions of the Infinity Group, Mitchell’s Oil Field Services and Duval
- Forum Energy Technologies, Inc. – formation of joint venture with Quantum Energy Partners to acquire Global Tubing and acquisitions of Houston Global Heat Transfer, Syntech Technology, Inc., Wireline Solutions, LLC, Dynacon, Inc. and Merrimac Manufacturing, Inc.
- Concho Resources Inc. – $9.5 billion acquisition of RSP Permian, Inc.
- Penn Virginia Corporation – proposed $1.7 billion acquisition by Denbury Resources Inc.
- ESCO Corporation – sale of Ulterra Drilling Technologies and acquisitions of Stabiltec Downhole Tools LLC and Ulterra Drilling Technologies
- Schlumberger Limited – $14.8 billion acquisition of Cameron International Corporation and $11 billion acquisition of Smith International, Inc.
- Conflicts Committee of Williams Partners, L.P. – $11.4 billion financial repositioning transaction with The Williams Companies, Inc., proposed $13.8 billion acquisition by The Williams Companies Inc. and $50 billion merger of Williams Partners with Access Midstream Partners, L.P.
- Conflicts Committee of Kinder Morgan Energy Partners (KMP) and Special Committee of Kinder Morgan Management (KMR) in $70 billion purchase of KMP, KMR and El Paso Pipeline Partners by Kinder Morgan, Inc. and $6.2 billion dropdown from Kinder Morgan, Inc. of 100% of Tennessee Gas Pipeline Company, L.L.C. and a 50% interest in El Paso Natural Gas Company
- White Star Petroleum, LLC – acquisition of Lighthouse Oil & Gas LP
- Pride International, Inc. – $8.6 billion acquisition by Ensco plc, $1 billion divestiture of its Latin America land operations, $95 million divestiture of its Eastern Hemisphere land operations and $2 billion merger transaction with Marine Drilling Companies, Inc.
- Marathon Oil Corporation – $15 billion spin-off of Marathon Petroleum Corporation, $3.7 billion acquisition of the remaining interest in Marathon Ashland Petroleum owned by Ashland Inc. and $300 million acquisition of Khanty Mansiysk Oil Corporation
- East Resources, Inc. (privately held Marcellus shale company) – $4.7 billion acquisition by Shell Oil Company
- PostRock Energy Corporation – sale of its KPC pipeline system to MV Pipelines, LLC and three-part sale of Marcellus shale properties to Magnum Hunter Resources Corporation
- Quest Midstream Partners, L.P. – recombination transaction with Quest Energy Partners, L.P. and Quest Resource Corporation to form PostRock Energy Corporation
- Valaris plc – offerings of senior notes, exchangeable notes and ordinary shares and tender and exchange offers for senior notes
- Civeo Corporation – public offering of common shares
- Publicly traded oilfield services company – private offering of senior notes
- Forum Energy Technologies, Inc. – public and private offerings of senior notes and common stock
- Publicly traded E&P company – tender offers for senior notes, second lien notes exchange offer and offerings of senior notes and convertible notes
- Atwood Oceanics, Inc. – public offerings of senior notes and common stock and tender offer for senior notes
- Cabot Oil & Gas Corporation – public offering of common stock
- ConocoPhillips – numerous public and private offerings of debt securities of ConocoPhillips and its subsidiaries
- Conoco Inc. – numerous public and private offerings of debt securities of Conoco and its finance subsidiary and initial public offering of common stock
- Pride International, Inc. – numerous public and private offerings of debt and equity securities
- Hercules Offshore, Inc. – initial public offering of common stock and subsequent offerings of common stock and convertible debt
- PostRock Energy Corporation – multiple private placements of common stock, preferred stock and warrants to White Deer Energy, L.P.
- Underwriters for Spectra Energy and Spectra Energy Partners – numerous public and private offerings of debt and equity securities of Spectra Energy, Spectra Energy Partners and their subsidiaries and affiliates
- Underwriters for Enbridge Energy Partners – public offering of debt securities
- BofA Merrill Lynch, Barclays and Citigroup as lead underwriters – initial public offering by MidCoast Energy Partners, L.P.
- P. Morgan, BofA Merrill Lynch, Credit Suisse, Citigroup and Deutsche Bank Securities as lead underwriters – initial public offering by Forum Energy Technologies, Inc.
- Goldman, Sachs & Co., J.P. Morgan and Citigroup as lead underwriters – initial public offering by C&J Energy Services, Inc.
Mr. Florey earned his Juris Doctor in 1995 from the University of Virginia School of Law where he was the Executive Editor of the Virginia Law Review. He graduated in 1992 with High Honors from The University of Texas at Austin, where he was elected to Phi Beta Kappa and received a Bachelor of Arts degree in Plan II Interdisciplinary Honors.
* Includes matters handled prior to joining Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher