Zain Hassan is an associate in the Houston office of Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP. He currently practices across the firm’s Corporate group, focusing in Oil & Gas, Mergers & Acquisitions, Sports Law, and Capital Markets. Zain maintains an active pro bono practice, representing clients in asylum petitions, u-visa applications, and guardianship proceedings.
Zain’s experience includes:
- Representation of seller in its approximately $400 million divestiture of 62,000 net acres of producing Eagle Ford assets
- Representation of Chief Oil & Gas LLC in its sale of Chief E&D Holdings LP and related interests to Chesapeake Energy Corp. for $2.6 billion in cash and stock
- Representation of Pioneer Natural Resources Company (NYSE: PXD) in its $6.4 billion acquisition of DoublePoint Energy’s leasehold interests and related assets
- Representation of Reliance Marcellus, LLC, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Reliance Industries Limited, in its ~$250 million divestiture of approximately 450,000 gross acres of producing leasehold in the Marcellus Shale to Northern Oil and Gas, Inc. (NYSE MKT: NOG)
- Representation of a publicly-traded E&P company in its approximately $127 million divestiture of producing Delaware Basin assets to an independent operator
- Representation of Celanese Corporation (NYSE: CE) in a $7.5 billion SEC-registered notes offering and a €1.5 billion SEC-registered notes offering by Celanese US Holdings LLC, its wholly-owned subsidiary
- Representation of Underwriters in Targa Resources Corp.’s $1.5 billion SEC-registered notes offering; further representation of Underwriters in Targa Resources Corp.’s $1.25 billion SEC-registered notes offering
- Representation of ModivCare Inc. (NYSE: MODV) in its $500 million private placement notes offering
- Representation of Celanese US Holdings LLC, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Celanese Corporation (NYSE: CE), in its $400 million SEC-registered notes offering; further representations in Celanese US Holdings LLC’s €500 million notes offering and its cash tender offer for €300 million of previously issued notes
- Representation of Berkshire Hathaway Energy Company in its wholly-owned subsidiary Eastern Energy Gas Transmission and Storage, Inc.’s exchange offer and consent solicitation with respect to certain notes previously issued by Eastern Energy Gas Holdings, LLC for $1.6 billion of new notes
- Representation of Amazon.com, Inc. (NASDAQ: AMZN) in its $18.5 billion notes offering, including sustainability notes
- Representation of Goldman Sachs as sole agent in Clean Energy Fuels Corp.’s (NASDAQ: CLNE) “at-the-market” continuous offering of up to $100 million of common stock; further representation in CLNE’s follow-on $100 million offering
- Representation of CTI BioPharma Corp. (NASDAQ: CTIC) — offering of ~14 million shares of common stock for gross proceeds of $60 million
- Representation of a major telecom provider in the renewal of its media rights agreements with the NBA, NHL, and MLB
- Representation of multiple owners in the sale of secondary equity in a Major League Baseball team
- Representation of a secondary interest holder in a Major League Baseball team in the consolidation of its minority interest owners
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Representation of Celanese Corporation (NYSE: CU) in its pending $11.0 billion acquisition of a majority of the Mobility and Materials business of DuPont de Nemours, Inc.
- Representation of an offshore drilling company in the restructuring of intercompany debt
- Representation of Contango Oil & Gas Company in its all-stock merger with Independence Energy, LLC, valued at approximately $5.7 billion
- Representation of Expro Group Holdings International Limited in its all-stock business combination with Frank’s International N.V. (NYSE: FI), valued at approximately $2.1 billion
Zain received his J.D., magna cum laude, from the University of Houston Law Center in 2020, where he served as articles editor on the Houston Law Review and Vice President of the Energy and Environmental Law Society. He focused his research on the effects of oil and gas development on habitat fragmentation and obstruction of western ungulate migration corridors, along with the impacts of carbon sequestration and climate intervention technologies on anadromous fish ecology.
Prior to law school, Zain worked on numerous Endangered Species recovery programs at the state and federal level, for the Departments of Interior and Defense. He received his Bachelor of Science in Biological Sciences in 2013.
Zain is admitted to practice law in the State of Texas.