Scott Jalowayski is a partner (non-resident) in the Hong Kong office and a partner in the Singapore office of Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP.
Mr. Jalowayski has practiced in Asia since 2000. He advises private equity funds, their portfolio companies, and other global and regional investment managers on their investment and M&A transactions in Asia, including leveraged and unleveraged control acquisitions, minority investments, joint ventures, divestures and restructurings. He has significant experience representing asset managers in active and passive co-investments and in consortium arrangements. He represents clients in a wide range of industries, including infrastructure, health care, industrials, energy, telecommunications, media, retail and technology.
Mr. Jalowayski is listed as a leading lawyer for private equity work, including buyouts and venture capital investments, by Chambers Global, Chambers Asia Pacific and also now by the inaugural Chambers Greater China Region released in 2022 in which a client praised him for his ability to “provide proper guidance in complicated deal situations.” He is also regularly recognized by IFLR1000 and Legal 500 Asia Pacific.
Mr. Jalowayski received his J.D. (summa cum laude) from New York Law School in 1998, where he was the Articles Editor for New York Law School Law Review. He also gained his MBA from Monterey Institute of International Studies in 1995 and B.A. from the University of California, Los Angeles in 1991. He is admitted to practice in Hong Kong and the State of New York.
- I-Squared Capital in its sale of Chenya Energy to Marubeni Corporation. Chenya Energy is a solar development, construction and operating platform in Taiwan.
- I-Squared Capital and its portfolio company HGC Global Communications Limited in HGC Global’s acquisition of Macroview Telecom, a leading China-based digital technology solutions and managed services provider.
- Goldman Sachs as the lead investor in the US$435 million equity financing of Missfresh Limited, a leading provider of online grocery delivery services in China.
- A leading global asset manager in its minority investment in a leading QSR restaurant chain in China.
- Goldman Sachs in its US$100 million convertible bond financing of a subsidiary of HKSE-listed GCL New Energy Holdings Limited, a leading developer and operator of renewable energy projects in the PRC.
- The buyer consortium consisting of TPG and the Chairman of NYSE-listed ShangPharma Corporation in ShangPharma’s 13e-3 going-private transaction valued at approximately US$180 million.
- TPG and its portfolio company, Nexeo Solutions LLC, in Nexeo’s joint venture with the executives of Beijing Plaschem.
- Bain Capital in the US$489 million sale of Shanghai-based Feixiang Chemicals to Rhodia S.A.
- D. E. Shaw, as the majority exchangeable bondholders in connection with the US$3.4 billion consolidation of Jiangsu Zhongneng and HKSE-Iisted GCL-Poly Energy.
- Quanta Computer in its joint venture with The 3M Company to manufacture and market touch screen technology solutions.
- A global investment bank in its equity investment in a leading provider of web, video and search analytics solutions.
- A global investment bank in the financing of a specialty pharmaceutical business which develops therapeutics for infectious diseases.
Australia, India and Southeast Asia
- I Squared Capital in the acquisition of digital infrastructure assets based in Europe and Asia from Telstra.
- Goldman Sachs/West Street Capital Partners as co-lead investor it its US$750 million acquisition, together with Pagoda and QIC, of Icon Cancer Care, and leading oncology services provider in Australia.
- Goldman Sachs in its investment in its equity financing of LivSpace Pte Ltd., a leading online platform for interior design products and services in India.
- Goldman Sachs in its equity financing of NestAway Technologies, a leading online platform for home rentals in India.
- Goldman Sachs in its equity financing of VerSe Innovation, a leading online news aggregator in India.
- The Carlyle Group in its purchase of a stake in Metropolis Healthcare Limited, a Mumbai-based chain of pathology laboratories, from Dr. GSK Velu and affiliates.
- A global investment bank in its investment in senior, secured, rated and listed redeemable and non-convertible debentures issued by an Indian infrastructure developer.
- A global investment bank in a US$100 million financing of an Indian-based wind turbine power plant developer. The financing included an issuance of BSE-listed NCDs, offshore debt, and warrants.
- A global investment bank in the acquisition of core franchisees of two leading branded quick service restaurant chains operating hundreds of outlets in India and Sri Lanka.
- TPG and its portfolio company, TE Asia Healthcare, in its joint venture with TalkMed Group Limited, a Singapore listed company providing medical oncology and palliative care services, for the purpose of establishing the Hong Kong Integrated Oncology Centre.
- An alternative asset manager as a senior secured lender in connection with the financing of the leveraged buyout of CAMGSM, Cambodia’s largest mobile telecommunications service provider.
- A global investment bank in its sale of a minority interest in a leading proprietary trading system based in Tokyo.
- A global investment firm in its agreement to sell a portfolio of real estate assets, which contain hotels, throughout Japan.
- A global multi-strategy investor in its sale of a 267-room Tokyo hotel.
- A global private equity fund in its potential acquisition of a Japanese self-storage business.
- A global private equity fund in its potential acquisition of a Japanese consumer products business out of bankruptcy.
- TPG in its joint venture with Fortress to purchase a portfolio of properties from Citi Principal.
- A hedge fund investor in the sale of an apartment complex in Japan.
- “What May Be Ahead For PE Infrastructure Investment In Asia,” Law360, June 2019
- “5 Factors Driving Private Equity In Asia,” Law360, April 2018
- “M&A Litigation Goes Global,” Co-author, Insights, May 2013
- “A Private-Equity Boost for China,” Wall Street Journal, April 3, 2013
- “Spotlight On Private Equity In Asia 2012,” Law360, March 2012
- “Deal Maker Spotlight,” Featured in Q&A, Global M&A, May 2011
- “A Better Stimulus for China,” Wall Street Journal, November 20, 2008