Steven Klein is a partner in the New York office of Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher and is a member of Gibson Dunn’s Real Estate Practice Group. Steven’s practice covers a broad range of real estate transactions, including acquisitions and dispositions, joint ventures, financings, leasing, construction and development, restructurings and recapitalizations. He also has substantial experience in REIT offerings, REIT mergers and formation of investment funds. He has advised clients on securitized financing agreements, permanent and mezzanine loan agreements, loan restructuring agreements, partnership and limited liability company agreements, private placement memoranda, property management agreements, retail and office leases and regional shopping centre agreements.
Steven has been recognized as a leading lawyer by:
- Chambers USA in New York Real Estate
- Expert Guide to the World’s Leading Real Estate Lawyers
- The Best Lawyers in America®
- The Legal 500
- Who’s Who Legal Real Estate
- New York Magazine‘s “Best Lawyers”
Highlights of Steven’s recent experience include:
- Welltower in the sale of its existing partner’s joint venture interests in 147 skilled nursing facilities to a new partner, with a new joint venture agreement, master lease, and restructuring of existing partner’s joint venture and master lease for 58 assisted living facilities.
- Welltower in its acquisition of a portfolio of 86 seniors housing properties owned by Holiday Retirement.
- Welltower in its establishment of a healthcare real estate fund with KeyBank. The new unitranche loan program will provide first mortgage financing on seniors housing and skilled nursing facilities.
- AECOM Capital in several acquisition, development, joint venture and construction financing projects across the United States.
- Monarch Alternative Capital LP in its joint venture with American House Senior Living Communities, for the acquisition, development and management of senior housing properties across the United States.
- Sherwood Equities’ in a multi-decade lease for nine marquee billboards at Two Times Square and 1600 Broadway to Providence Equity Partners.
- Sherwood Equities in its sale of a retail condominium at 1600 Broadway to a joint venture between Bayerische Versorgungskammer and Paramount Group, Inc.
Additional relevant information about Steven includes:
- Steven is a member of the American College of Real Estate Lawyers, the Real Estate Board of New York (REBNY), International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC), and the Advisory Board of NYU Schack Institute of Real Estate.
- Prior to joining Gibson Dunn, Steven was Chair of the Real Estate department of Willkie Farr & Gallagher.
- Steven received his Juris Doctor from Rutgers University School of Law in 1986.