Wilhelm Reinhardt is a partner in the Frankfurt office of Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher. He is a member of the firm’s Mergers & Acquisitions and Private Equity Group.
Mr. Reinhardt focuses his practice on mergers and acquisitions, including private equity transactions and joint ventures. He is also very experienced in public M&A transactions, representing both buyers and targets. He further has profound expertise in German corporate law.
JUVE 2019/2020 lists Mr. Reinhardt as “frequently recommended” for Corporate, M&A and Private Equity and cites competitors who describe him as “multifaceted takeover lawyer“. He was selected by JUVE 2018/2019 as one of 11 “leading partners for Corporate Law under 50” in Germany. He is regularly “recommended” for Corporate Law and M&A (Chambers Europe Germany, The Legal 500 EMEA, The Legal 500 Deutschland, Handelsblatt / The Best Lawyers™ in Germany, Kanzleimonitor). Clients praise Wilhelm Reinhardt for his “excellent legal and business acumen”, “ ‘close to the business’ mindset” and the “ability to translate complex legal contexts to business language” (Chambers Europe and Chambers Global Germany 2017). Chambers Global and Chambers Europe 2019 rank him in Germany Corporate/M&A: High-end Capability. One source says: “Technique is something we really value with him. He always has the most up-to-date knowledge and know-how. He links the newest legal decisions with the concrete case and puts this into practice.” Others comment: “He is a quick thinker, can adapt to any situation, grasps complex issues very quickly and simplifies them for us” (Chambers Global Germany 2018). IFLR1000 2020 lists him among the “highly regarded” lawyers for M&A and Private Equity in Germany. The Legal 500 Deutschland describes Mr. Reinhardt as “expert for public takeovers”.
Prior to joining Gibson Dunn, Mr. Reinhardt was a corporate partner in the Frankfurt office of a renowned US law firm.
Mr. Reinhardt speaks German, English and Japanese.
Representative transactions include advising
- Atlas Copco in connection with the €1.1 billion tender offer for ISRA VISION AG
- Advent International on the public tender offer for Douglas Holding AG.*
- Anheuser-Busch InBev on general corporate matters and various M&A transactions.*
- Apollo on the backstop of the capital increase of Infineon Technologies AG.*
- Bayer AG on the public tender offer for Schering AG.*
- BC Partners on the public tender offer for Techem AG.*
- BC Partners on the sale of Synlab to Cinven.*
- Clariant and Ashland on the sale of ASK Chemicals, a leading manufacturer of foundry chemicals with facilities in 25 countries, to Rhône Capital.*
- Credit Suisse as financial advisor to Terex Group in connection with the public tender offer for Demag Cranes AG.*
- Credit Suisse as financial advisor to the supervisory board of Deutsche Annington SE in respect of the takeover offer for Gagfah S.A.*
- Credit Suisse as financial advisor to Volkswagen AG in connection with the public mandatory offer for MAN SE.*
- Equinox and Steilmann Holding AG on the public tender offer for Adler Modemärkte AG.*
- Fair Value REIT AG on the public tender offer by DEMIRE.*
- Fosun International on the acquisition of a 23.16% stake in Tom Tailor Holding AG.*
- HJM Investment GmbH & Co. KG beim Verkauf der Anteile an der RENOLIT SE und dem Erwerb der RKW SE.
- Intermediate Capital Group on the acquisition of Eismann Group and the subsequent sale to Gilde Buy Out Partners.*
- Lazard as financial advisor to the supervisory board of Innogy in the tender offer for Innogy by E.ON.
- Lenovo on the public tender offer for Medion AG and on integration measures.*
- Nestlé S.A. on the sale of the PowerBar business and on other corporate matters.*
- One Equity Partners on the acquisition of transformer manufacturer SGB-SMIT from private equity investor BC Partners.
- One Equity Partners on the acquisitions of Powertech Transformers Group and of BCV Technologies S.A.S. by its portfolio company SGB-SMIT Group.
- One Equity Partners on the acquisition of Alltub Group, a market leader in aluminium and laminate specialty packaging for the cosmetics industry and other markets.
- One Equity Partners on the acquisition of a minority stake in Pfleiderer AG.*
- Perella Weinberg Partners as financial advisor to Deutsche Börse in connection with the merger of Deutsche Börse and London Stock Exchange.*
- Rhön-Klinikum AG on the intended public take-over by Fresenius SE.*
- Tognum AG (now Rolls-Royce Power Systems AG) on the public tender offer by joint venture partners Daimler AG and Rolls-Royce Group plc.*
- Triton on its investment in Deutsche Radiologie Holding
- Versatel AG on the public tender offer by KKR.*
- Warburg Pincus on the initial acquisition and subsequent increase of shares in Kontron AG.*
- Xella, a leading building materials company headquartered in Germany, and the Management Team on the sale of Xella to Lone Star.
(*Experience Prior To Joining Gibson Dunn)