Carlos M. Soto is an associate in the Los Angeles office of Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher. He is a member of the firm’s Corporate Department and Mergers and Acquisitions and Private Equity Practice Groups. Mr. Soto has broad experience advising public and private, domestic and foreign companies as purchasers and sellers in domestic and cross-border merger and acquisition transactions of different structures and as investors and managers in joint ventures and multiple equityholder entities. He also counsels clients with respect to general corporate and governance matters. Mr. Soto regularly represents companies in the media and entertainment, asset management, real estate and private equity industries.
Some of Mr. Soto’s recent representative transactions include*:
- Hackman Capital Partners. $1.85 billion acquisition of CBS Studio Center complex in Studio City related TV and motion picture production studio operations.
- Candle Media. Formation of next generation media company backed by Kevin Mayer, Thomas Staggs and Blackstone and corporate matters relating to subsequent acquisitions of companies such as Hello Sunshine and Moonbug Entertainment.
- The Chernin Group.
- Acquisition of Goldin Auctions, a leading auction house specializing in sports memorabilia and collectibles, and in its subsequent divestiture to Collectors Holding.
- Divestiture of a 36% stake in Barstool Sports to Penn National Gaming in a transaction with an implied valuation of approximately $450 million.
- Platinum Equity and Verra Mobility Corporation. $2.4 billon reverse merger of Verra Mobility Corporation with and into a special purpose acquisition company sponsored by The Gores Group.
- Platinum Equity.
- Acquisition of Cosmic Pet, a leading innovator in pet toys, chews and treats.
- Acquisition of Euro Parking Collection plc., a company specializing in the identification, notification and collection of unpaid traffic and public transport fees across Europe.
- Divestiture of NILCO, a wood-based products supply company, to U.S. Lumber Group.
- Hudson Pacific Properties. Acquisition of Bentall Centre, a 1.45 million square feet office and retail complex in Vancouver, Canada, and formation of joint venture with Blackstone Property Partners for the management thereof.
- Kildare Partners. Formation of a joint venture to manage a portfolio of 9 shopping centers in Puerto Rico acquired for $550 million.
- Welltower Inc. Formation of a joint venture with Invesco in connection with the sale to Invesco of an 85% interest in over 30 properties with a value in excess of $600 million.
- Citibank. $425 million divestiture of global alternative investor services business to SS&C Technologies.
- Venture capital investment in Aura, a technology company specializing in digital security and various subsequent equity financing series.
- Aura’s acquisition of Pango, a privacy and security technology company with a suite of products, including VPN and password management services, and the related spin-off of Pango assets undertaken in connection therewith.
- Various corporate and governance matters, including advice on venture capital investments in companies such as The Infatuation, a restaurant discovery platform.
- PCCP. Sale of minority stake to AMP Capital and various corporate matters.
- Investcorp. €1 billion divestiture of Icopal, a leading European roofing and waterproofing company.
- América Móvil.
- $23.0 billion public acquisition of affiliates Telmex Internacional, S.A.B. de C.V. and Carso Global Telecom, which had a controlling interest in Teléfonos de México, S.A.B. de C.V. (“Telmex”) and follow-on $4.1 billion all-cash public tender offer for the remaining outstanding equity of Telmex.
- Various SEC registered and 144A/Regulation S offerings resulting in the issuance of over $10 billion, £6 billion, €3.75 billion and CNY1.0 billion of senior notes.
- Assisted with various public filings, including annual reports, beneficial ownership reports and automatic shelf registration statements.
- FEMSA. $7.3 billion public strategic exchange of its beer operations for a 20% equity interest in the Heineken Group.
- Acumen Fund. Venture capital investments in KopaGas, a Tanzanian-based company bringing efficient liquid petroleum gas (LPG) to low-income households
Mr. Soto received his law degree from the University of Chicago Law School in 2009 and his Bachelor of Arts degree in Politics from Princeton University in 2005.
Mr. Soto is admitted to practice in the States of New York and California.
*Includes representations prior to Mr. Soto’s association with Gibson Dunn.