Fang Xue is Chief Representative of the Beijing office of Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP. She is a member of the firm’s Corporate Department and its Mergers & Acquisitions and Private Equity practice groups.
Ms. Xue has broad-based corporate and commercial experience. She has represented Chinese and international corporations and private equity funds in cross-border acquisitions, private equity transactions, stock and asset transactions, joint ventures, going private transactions, tender offers and venture capital transactions, including many landmark deals among those.
Ms. Xue previously worked at Shearman & Sterling LLP where she spent four years in the New York office and two years in the Hong Kong office, prior to moving to Beijing in 2009.
Ms. Xue is a frequent speaker on topics relating to cross-border and going private transactions, and is regularly interviewed and quoted by main-stream business publications. She is fluent in English and a native speaker of Mandarin Chinese.
Ms. Xue received her Juris Doctor, magna cum laude, from Duke University School of Law, where she served as Research Editor of the Law and Contemporary Problems and was a member of the Order of the Coif. She received her Bachelor of Arts in International Business, magna cum laude, from Ocean University of Qingdao, and her L.L.M degree from University of International Business and Economics. She is admitted to practice in the State of New York and is qualified to practice in China.
Ms. Xue was named to the shortlist for the “Best in M&A and Private Equity” category of the Euromoney Legal Media Group Asia Woman in Business Law Awards 2016. She has been recognized as a “Notable Practitioner” in the 2018 edition of Euromoney’s IFLR1000 financial & corporate legal rankings.
Ms. Xue published an article “Recent Trends and Issues in Outbound Acquisitions by Chinese Companies” in December 2016, on Thomson Reuters’ The M&A Lawyer, a monthly newsletter specializing in mergers/acquisitions law, corporate governance and antitrust issues.
- CITIC Capital and Caixin Global in an acquisition of top tier international financial information provider from Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC.
- NetEase Inc. in its mobile games joint venture with Mattel Inc.
- Special Committee of China Xiniya Fashion Limited in the share and assets swap transaction with True Silver Limited, Honest Plus Investment Limited and Qiming Investment Limited.
- Beijing NAURA Microelectronics Equipment Co., Ltd. in an acquisition of Akrion Systems LLC.
- AGIC and Humanwell Healthcare in an acquisition of The Ritedose Corporation for US$605 million.
- Special Committee of the Board of Directors of eFuture Holding Inc. in the company’s going private transaction.
- Controlling shareholders of Sky-mobi Limited in the company’s going private transaction.
- Ningbo Joyson Electronic Corp. in an acquisition of 100% shares of Key Safety Systems, Inc. for US$920 million.
- Acquisition of OmniVision Technologies by an investment consortium consisting of Hua Capital Management Co., Ltd., CITIC Capital Holdings Limited and Goldstone Investment Co., Ltd. for US$1.9 billion.
- Nanjing Xinjiekou Department Store Co., Ltd. in an acquisition of 100% shares of China Cord Blood.
- Initial Purchasers in connection with the offering of US$150 million Senior Notes by China XD Plastics Company Ltd.
- Special Committee of China Information Technology, Inc. in the company’s going private transaction.
- Special Committee of JA Solar Holdings Co., Ltd. in the company’s going private transaction.
- Buyer Consortium consisting of CNshangquan Limited and ChinaEquity in the going private transaction of Mecox Lane Limited.
- Special Committee of Jinpan International Limited in the company’s approximately US$144 million proposed going private transaction.
- Special Committee of China Housing & Land Development, Inc. in the company’s proposed going private transaction.
- Temasek in a partial divestiture of its interest in a portfolio company.
- Shanghai Pudong Science and Technology Investment Co., Ltd. in its attempted acquisition of NASDAQ-listed RDA Microelectronics, Inc.
- Acquity Group Limited (NYSE: AQ) in its sale to Accenture for US$316 million.
- Special Committee of Camelot Information Systems Inc. in the company’s going private transaction.
- Shah Capital in UTStarcom Holdings Corp.’s attempted going private transaction.
- MiaSolé in its sale of 100% interest to Hanergy.
- Special Committee of Trunkbow International in the company’s going private transaction.
- Bain Capital in the acquisition of a video surveillance business and related assets from Hangzhou H3C Technology Co., Ltd.
- Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. in the US$530 million acquisition of Symantec Corporation’s 49% stake in Huawei Symantec Technologies Co., Ltd.
- Special Committee of China Security & Surveillance Technology Inc. in the going private transaction.
- Independent Committee of Chemspec International Limited in the company’s going private transaction.
- Baytree Investments (Mauritius) Pte Ltd, a wholly owned subsidiary of Temasek Holdings Pte Ltd, in connection with a pre-IPO investment in China ITS (Holdings) Co., Ltd., a leading transportation infrastructure technology solution and services provider in China, as part of the global public offering by China ITS.
- New-Wave Investment Holding Company Limited in its acquisition of a 9.3% interest in SINA Corporation.
- AVIC Aircraft Co., Ltd. (former Xi’an Aircraft Industry (Group) Company Ltd.) in its acquisition of a 91.25% stake in FACC AG.
- Agility Logistics in its acquisition of a PRC logistics company.
- A PRC travel company in connection with the issuance of convertible notes to certain investors.
- A PRC alternative energy company in connection with multiple issuances of convertible redeemable notes to venture capital investors.
- Kellwood Company in the sale of its Smart Shirts Business to Youngor Group Co., Ltd.
- Morgan Stanley in connection with Linktone Ltd.’s sale of a controlling stake to PT Media Nusantara Citra.
- Tasameem Real Estate Co. L.L.C. in its acquisition of an equity interest in a Korean industrial company.
- The Dun & Bradstreet Corporation in connection with certain acquisitions.
- NBC Universal, Inc. in its restructuring of its investment in ION Media Networks, Inc.
- Citigroup in its acquisition of Federated Department Stores’ credit card portfolio.
- Tetra Laval Group in its acquisition of Carlisle Process Systems.
- Citigroup Global Markets Inc. as financial advisor to BCE Inc. in the sale of Telesat to The Public Sector Pension Investment Board and Loral Space and Communications Inc.
- Credit Suisse and UBS as financial advisors and dealer managers to Companhia Vale do Rio Doce in its tender offer to acquire all outstanding common shares of Inco Limited.
- CIT Group Inc. in its acquisition of Healthcare Business Credit Corporation.
- Seix Investment Advisors Inc. in the sale of substantially all its assets to Trusco Capital Management, Inc.
- SunGard Data Systems Inc. in its acquisition by a consortium of private equity funds.
- Mittal Steel Company N.V. in its acquisition of International Steel Group Inc.
- Newport News Inc. in its bankruptcy sale to Pangea Acquisition 8 Limited.
- Novartis in its acquisition of Mead Johnson & Company’s Global Adult Nutritional Business from Bristol-Myers Squibb Company.
Recent Speeches and Interviews
- Interviewed by The Asian Lawyer on the topic of “Lawyers Double Dip as Chinese Clients ‘Go Private’” (June 22, 2015)
- Interviewed by Caixin.com on the topic of “Insider trading in Everbright Securities’ fat finger incident” (Caixin.com, February 16, 2014)
- Featured speaker in the lecture to Zhongguancun Science Park Management Committee, on the topic of “China outbound investments” (November 21, 2013)
- Featured speaker on Beijing Private Equity Association’s monthly training, on the topic of “PE investment into China: structure and exits” (November 20, 2013)
- Featured speaker on China Venture Capital Association’s forum, on the topic of “PE investment into China: structure and exits” (August 28, 2013)
- Interviewed by Caixin on the topic of “Preferred shares” (Caixin – China Economics & Finance, 2013 Issue 28)
- Featured speaker on the 2012 China Entrepreneur CEO/CFO forum, “Matters relating to Chinese companies’ delisting from the US stock market” (December 12, 2012)
- Interviewed by Caixin on the topic of “Dissent shareholder’s cash options” (Caixin – China Economics & Finance, 2013 Issue 46)
- Featured interview by Caixin.com and Tencent Finance, “Going-private transactions of US-listed Chinese companies: a wise decision or not?” (Caixin.com, Tencent Finance, September 3, 2012)
- Interviewed by Caixin on the topic of “The coming-home wave of China concept stocks” (Caixin – China Economics & Finance, 2012 Issue 45)
- Widely quoted by other media such as CNTV.com, legaldaily.com on topics including going-private transactions of US-listed Chinese companies