Laura O'Boyle is a litigation associate in the New York office of Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher. Ms. O'Boyle is a member of Gibson Dunn's Media, Entertainment and Technology, Securities Litigation, and Crisis Management Practice Groups.
Ms. O'Boyle has experience on a wide range of complex commercial disputes, with an emphasis representing media, technology and entertainment companies in a wide array of litigation matters, including intellectual property disputes (copyright, trademark, and trade secret), privacy and defamation cases and contractual disputes. Ms. O'Boyle also has extensive experience representing corporations and individuals in securities litigation and enforcement matters.
Ms. O'Boyle graduated with distinction in 2006 from Stanford Law School, where she served as vice-president of the Stanford Public Interest Law Foundation and a research assistant for the Stanford Law School Center for E-Commerce. At Stanford, Ms. O'Boyle also was a member of the Stanford Journal of International Law and the Stanford Judicial Review. In 2002, she earned her Bachelor of Arts degree, magna cum laude, in Public Policy from Brown University, where she was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. Ms. O'Boyle co-chairs the Parenting Group in the New York office, and has previously served on the firm's Hiring, Diversity and Community Affairs Committees.
Ms. O'Boyle is admitted to practice in the State of New York.
Representative Media, Entertainment and Technology Matters:
- Successfully defended celebrity author and publishing company in copyright and trademark infringement lawsuit, securing victories at both the trial and appellate level
- Represented well-known comedian in high-profile defamation action, securing complete dismissal of lawsuit at the pleading stage
- Represented television production company in lawsuit alleging breach by network of distribution contract, securing favorable settlement for client
- Represented global technology company in action alleging breach of technology development agreement
Representative Securities Litigation and Enforcement Matters:
- Represented leading pharmaceutical company in derivative action, securing dismissal at the pleading stage
- Represented Fortune 500 company in an SEC investigation of financial reporting issues; SEC staff closed the investigation with no enforcement action or penalty
- Represented cleantech startup and its executives in putative class action alleging securities fraud and related SEC investigation
Additional Representative Matters:
- Represented plaintiff staffing company in successful effort to enjoin former employees and a competitor from working together in violation of non-compete and related provisions
- Represented telecommunications company in an international arbitration alleging breach of interconnection agreements
- Represented global insurance company and its directors in litigation brought by hostile bidder and shareholder plaintiffs alleging breaches of fiduciary duties
- Defended Big 4 accounting firm in wage-and-hour class actions pending in multiple jurisdictions
- Defending private equity firm against fraud claims arising from sale of portfolio company
Ms. O'Boyle also maintains a robust pro bono practice, and has successfully represented multiple individuals in asylum proceedings, as well as numerous clients through
Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts.