Christopher D. Belelieu is a litigation partner in the New York office of Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher. Mr. Belelieu’s practice focuses on both complex commercial litigation and arbitration matters, including securities, antitrust, employment, class actions and contractual disputes. He has represented both plaintiffs and defendants in federal and state courts, as well as in different arbitral forums.
Mr. Belelieu also represents and provides strategic advice to clients in the start-up space. In addition, Mr. Belelieu advises companies on compliance with antitrust laws and has successfully secured antitrust regulatory approval for a number of mergers and acquisitions. His clients include Perella Weinberg Partners, WeWork and The Wing.
Prior to joining Gibson Dunn, Mr. Belelieu was a partner at Boies Schiller Flexner LLP. He began his legal career at Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP. He also served as a clerk for Judge Rosemary Barkett of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit. Mr. Belelieu is also a member of the Board of Directors for The Legal Aid Society of New York City.
Mr. Belelieu received his law degree in 2006 from the Columbia University School of Law where he was recognized as a James Kent Scholar, a Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar and a recipient of the David Berger Memorial Prize in International Law. He also served as Editor-in-Chief of The Columbia Journal of European Law and as Executive Editor of The Columbia Journal of Transnational Law. He earned an A.B. summa cum laude from Georgetown University in 2003.
Matters in which Mr. Belelieu has played a significant role include:
- Representing a financial services firm in litigation alleging that former members of the firm engaged in a covert plan to steal the firm’s financial restructuring group in violation of both their contractual and fiduciary duties
- Representing a fund in litigation in the Delaware Court of Chancery related to the breach of its Series A consent rights
- Representing a company and its shareholders in Delaware Court of Chancery related to the breach of a company’s obligations under a merger agreement to use diligent efforts to develop and commercialize a product that was acquired from the client
- Representing an outsourced chief investment officer in a dispute related to its investment strategy
- Representing a financial institution in arbitration related to the sale of collateralized debt obligations (CDOs)
- Representing a financial services firm in several fee disputes
- Representing a financial institution and related entities in litigation relating to residential mortgage-backed securities filed in federal and state courts
- Defending a cable programmer and distributor in a purported class action alleging antitrust violations by programming companies and cable and satellite providers based on the bundling of television channels
- Representing a major pharmaceutical company in a shareholder class action arising out of alleged misrepresentations and omissions relating to the sale of one of its drugs
- Representing a company in a dispute related to the calculation of the working capital on a closing statement
- Defending a company in various employment-related matters, including purported class actions alleging violations of the Fair Labor Standards Act, the California Private Attorney General Act, and other state labor laws, as well as proceedings before the National Labor Relations Board
- Representing a start-up in litigation related to the alleged misappropriation of confidential information and trade secrets
- Representing a company and its co-founder in litigation related to allegations of sexual harassment, gender discrimination and defamation
- Representing a start-up in litigation related to allegations of gender discrimination
- Defending a company in litigation related to its lease and guaranty obligations
*Representations were made by Mr. Belelieu prior to his association with Gibson Dunn.