Keith R. Martorana is a partner in the New York office of Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher and a member of Gibson Dunn’s Business Restructuring and Reorganization Practice Group.
Mr. Martorana’s practice focuses on representing debtors, financial institutions, creditor groups and hedge funds inside and outside of chapter 11 in numerous industries, including the retail, communications, oil & gas, energy, homebuilding, automotive, emergency services, commercial real estate, and manufacturing sectors.
Mr. Martorana received his Juris Doctor, magna cum laude, from New York Law School, where he also served as an Executive Articles Editor of the New York Law School Law Review. He obtained his Bachelor of Arts degree, summa cum laude, from Fordham University. He is admitted to practice law in New York.
Recent engagements include:
- Brookstone, Inc.: Representation of Brookstone, Inc. (a leading retailer of personal and novelty goods) in their successful chapter 11 reorganization.
- Republic Metals Corporation: Representation of Coeur Mining, Inc. as a substantial holder of claims against Republic Metals Corporation (a leading refiner of gold, silver and other precious metals) in their chapter 11 case.
- Toys R’ Us: Representation of post-effective date owner and operator of substantially all of the U.S. real estate of the former Toys R’ Us enterprise.
- iHeart Communications: Representation of bondholder group and backstop new money providers in the successful chapter 11 reorganization of iHeart Communications (a leading radio and media company).
- Triangle USA Petroleum Corporation: Represented a group of ad hoc noteholders holding approximately $400 million of debt issued by Triangle USA Petroleum Corporation in connection with its successful chapter 11 reorganization.
- The Sports Authority, Inc.: Represented The Sports Authority Inc. (a leading sporting goods retailer) in connection with its chapter 11 proceeding.
- General Motors Corporation: Represented Wilmington Trust Company as Trustee for the liquidating trust of General Motors Corporation (n/k/a Motors Liquidation Company), including in connection with a major litigation related to purported defective ignition switches in certain cars manufactured by General Motors Corporation.
- Corporación GEO: Represented a group of noteholders of approximately $150 million in debt issued by Corporación GEO (a leading Mexican homebuilder) in its successful reorganization.
- Arcapita Bank B.C.S.(c): Represented Arcapita Bank B.C.S.(c), a Bahraini private equity firm, in connection with its successful chapter 11 reorganization.
- Rural/Metro Corporation: Represented the First Lien Lenders and DIP Lenders in the pre-arranged bankruptcy proceeding of Rural/Metro Corporation (one of the nation’s largest providers of ambulance and fire protection services which operates in 21 states).
- Wastequip, Inc.: Represented First Lien Lenders in connection with the consensual out-of-court restructuring of Wastequip, Inc. (a leading manufacturer of waste containers).
- Ambac Financial Group: Represented Law Debenture Trust Company in its capacity as indenture trustee to over $400 million in subordinated debentures issued by Ambac Financial Group (the holding company of a leading financial insurance guaranty company) in connection with its chapter 11 restructuring.
- Travelport: Represented Q Investments in its capacity as lender in connection with the restructuring of a $715 million loan to Travelport (a leading provider of IT logistics for airlines and travel companies).
- General Growth Properties: Represented the DIP Lenders in General Growth Properties (one of the nation’s largest REITs which owns and/or operates over 200 regional shopping malls in 44 states).
- True Temper Sports Inc.: Represented the agent for the DIP Lenders and First Lien Lenders in the prepackaged bankruptcy of True Temper Sports, Inc. (the leading manufacturer of golf club shafts).
- LyondelBasell Industries: Represented a DIP Lender to LyondellBasell Industries (a leading manufacturer of specialty chemicals) in connection with its chapter 11 restructuring.
- Dayton Superior Corporation: Represented the agent for the First Lien Term Lenders in the chapter 11 reorganization of Dayton Superior Corporation (the largest North American manufacturer and distributor of products used in concrete and masonry construction).
- William Lyon Homes: Represented Luxor Capital in connection with its distressed acquisition of William Lyon Homes (a large regional real estate developer in the Southwestern United States) in its prepackaged chapter 11 case.
- Extended Stay Hotels: Represented Paulson & Co. as successful bidder in connection with the auction to acquire the Extended Stay hotel chain out of chapter 11.
- Co-Author, “The Pervasive Problem of Numerosity,” Law360, (June 2, 2010).
- Author, Tracinda Corp. v. DaimlerChrysler AG, 51 New York Law School Law Review 419 (2006-2007).
- Co-Author, chapter in the book, Restructuring and Workouts – Strategies for Maximizing Value.