Ankita Ritwik is Of Counsel in the Washington, D.C. office of Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP. She is a member of the Litigation and International Arbitration Practice Groups.
Ankita has extensive experience in investment treaty and international commercial arbitration, including award enforcement in multiple jurisdictions. She has represented a variety of clients with investments in Europe, Latin America, Asia and Africa, in the mining, energy, telecommunications, real estate, and manufacturing industries in international arbitration and enforcement proceedings. Ankita also has experience working with a wide variety of arbitral institutions including ICSID, UNCITRAL, ICC, SCC, HKIAC, SIAC, AIAC, TAI, DIA and OCC.
She earned her law degree cum laude from Harvard Law School, where she was the Notes Editor for the Harvard International Law Journal. She graduated with honors from Yale University, where she double-majored in Economics and Molecular Biophysics & Biochemistry. Before attending law school, Ankita worked as a business consultant at McKinsey & Co.
She is fluent in Hindi, and has a working knowledge of Spanish and French. Ankita is admitted to practice in the District of Colombia and the State of New York.
A sample of Ankita’s experience includes*:
- Representing investors in a telecommunications enterprise with over USD 1.5 billion in arbitration awards against India in the enforcement of those awards.
- Representing a number of U.S. investors in an ICSID arbitration claim against Colombia of over USD 200 million, arising from a significant property development and management enterprise in the State.
- Advising U.S. investors in a large scale precious metals mining project in a former Soviet Union country in parallel investor state and commercial arbitration claims.
- Representing multiple international investors seeking enforcement of arbitration awards against Spain, arising from investments in renewable energy projects in the country.
- Representing a multinational telecommunications company in a number of contract disputes under a multi-jurisdictional service agreement framework.
- Successfully represented an Australian copper and gold mining company with a USD 6 billion arbitration award against Pakistan in the global enforcement of that award.
- Successfully represented European investors in renewable energy projects in a multi-million dollar ICSID arbitration against Spain. The tribunal found Spain liable for violating its obligations under the Energy Charter Treaty and is currently evaluating damages.
- Successfully represented a Swiss mining company with investments in a coal mine in an ICSID arbitration against Colombia, securing an arbitration award of over USD 20 million for the client.
- Successfully represented a Canadian gold mining company in an ICSID arbitration against Colombia. The tribunal found Colombia liable for violating its obligations under the Canada-Colombia FTA, and is currently evaluating damages.
- Successfully represented European investors in a manufacturing plant in Venezuela in an ICSID arbitration against the country, resulting in an arbitration award of over USD 160 million.
- Advised a large multinational oil and gas company with investments in North Africa on potential contractual disputes with the State-owned oil company.
*Includes experience prior to joining Gibson Dunn