Brad Roach is a partner in Gibson Dunn’s Singapore office and a member of the firm’s Energy and Infrastructure, Mergers and Acquisitions and Global Finance Practice Groups. Mr. Roach has more than 20 years’ experience advising clients in the energy, infrastructure and project finance industry throughout Asia, the Middle East and North Africa, and has been based in Singapore since 1996.
Mr. Roach is a strategic advisor who is recognized for his negotiation skills and a commercial and pragmatic approach to counselling clients on their investments in the oil and gas, power and mining sectors. He has extensive experience advising companies on asset and corporate acquisitions, joint venture and shareholder agreements, gas and LNG sale and purchase agreements, joint operating agreements, farmout agreements, production sharing contracts, unitization agreements and financing agreements. He has also advised developers of power projects in various countries throughout Southeast Asia. He has advised the sponsors of four greenfield LNG projects, including three in Indonesia, the Tangguh LNG project, the Bontang LNG project and the Donggi-Senoro LNG project.
Mr. Roach has been recognized by Chambers & Partners and other professional directories for many years and is ranked “Band 1” for Energy & Natural Resources in Singapore and Projects & Energy in Indonesia. He has been ranked “Band 1” for ten consecutive years in Indonesia by Chambers & Partners, which notes he is “widely acknowledged for his deep experience in oil and gas transactions” and is “the leading authority for oil and gas in the region”. He was named Best Lawyers International’s Energy Lawyer of the Year for Singapore in 2017.
Mr. Roach is admitted to practice in England and Wales. He has been a director of the Association of International Petroleum Negotiators (AIPN) for several years, and a member of the Southeast Asia Petroleum Exploration Society (SEAPEX).
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Murphy Oil Corporation in connection with the sale of 30% of its participating interests in several exploration and producing PSCs in Malaysia to PT Pertamina (Persero) for a consideration of US$2 billion.
- Repsol S.A. in connection with the sale of its 42.4% participating interest in the Wiriagar PSC and 3.06% interest in the Tangguh LNG project in Indonesia to BP for a consideration of US$313 million.
- Talisman Energy in connection with the acquisition of a 30% participating interest in the Block 07/03 PSC in Vietnam from Premier Oil.
- PT Medco Energi Internasional Tbk. in connection with the acquisition of the shares in Lundin Indonesia Holding B.V., which has interests in several PSCs in Indonesia.
- PT Pertamina (Persero) in connection with its successful bid for ConocoPhillips’ assets in Algeria for a consideration of US$1.75 billion, including a 65% participating interest and operatorship in Block 405a and a 3.7% and 16.9% unit participating interest in the Ourhoud and EMK fields.*
- Murphy Oil Corporation in connection with the acquisition of a 20% participating interest in the Block 13/03 PSC in Vietnam from Santos.
- PT Medco Energi Internasional Tbk. in connection with its acquisition of 100% of the shares of Storm Ventures International (Barbados) Limited, which has interests in several petroleum concessions and permits in Tunisia.
- Murphy Oil Corporation in connection with its acquisition of a 40% participating interest and operatorship in the Deepwater Block 2A PSC in Malaysia from BHP Billiton Petroleum.
- A bidding consortium in connection with the auction sale process held by Newfield Exploration Company in respect of its Malaysian subsidiaries.
- Mitra Energy Limited in connection with a farmout of a 75% participating interest in Service Contract No. 56 in the Philippines to Total and its farmout of an interest in Blocks 45 and 46/07 in Vietnam to Talisman Energy.*
- PT Saka Energi Indonesia in connection with its acquisition of a 100% participating interest in the South Sesulu PSC in Indonesia from Hess Corporation and the acquisition of a 100% participating interest in the Wokam II PSC in Indonesia from Murphy Oil Corporation.
- PT Medco Energi Internasional Tbk. in connection with the acquisition of a 21.25% participating interest in Block 9 in Yemen from Reliance Exploration & Production DMCC for a consideration of US$90 million.*
- Talisman Energy in connection with the sale of a 5.03% participating interest in the Offshore North West Java PSC in Indonesia to PT Pertamina Hulu Energi Offshore Northwest Java.*
- PT Medco Energi Internasional Tbk. in connection with the sale of a 20% interest in the Senoro-Toili PSC in Indonesia to Mitsubishi Corporation for a consideration of US$260 million.*
- INPEX Corporation in connection with the transfer of a 15% participating interest in the Babar Selaru PSC in Indonesia to PT Pertamina Hulu Energi Babar Selaru.*
Oil & Gas
- Murphy Oil Corporation in connection with its farm-in to a 50% participating interest and operatorship in the Deepwater Block 2C PSC in Malaysia from SapuraKencana, Mitsubishi Corporation and PETRONAS Carigali Sdn. Bhd.
- Murphy Oil Corporation in connection with its negotiations with PetroVietnam on the Block 144 and 145 and Block 11/2-11 PSCs in Vietnam and the negotiation of the Block W PSC in Equatorial Guinea and associated joint operating agreements.*
- Talisman Energy in connection with the unitisation of oil fields in Malaysia and Vietnam, various joint bidding and study agreements and joint operating agreements in Indonesia, and the acquisition of an interest in the Block 133 and 134 PSC in Vietnam.*
- ExxonMobil in connection with certain of its operations in Malaysia.*
- Murphy Oil Corporation in connection with the award of the Semai II PSC, located offshore Papua, Indonesia and associated joint operating agreement with PTT Exploration and Production Company and INPEX Corporation and the first exercise by PT Pertamina (Persero) of its right to back-in to a 15% participating interest in connection with the Semai II PSC.*
- Win Precious Resources Pte. Ltd. in connection with the negotiation of a joint operating agreement for a PSC in Myanmar.
- PT Medco Energi Internasional Tbk. in connection with the Area 47 Exploration and Production Sharing Agreement in Libya.*
- PT Medco Energi Internasional Tbk. on an exploration joint venture agreement with Anadarko Petroleum Corporation in relation to 13 production sharing contracts located in Indonesia.
- PT Medco Energi Internasional Tbk. in connection with the farmout of a 60% participating interest in the Nunukan PSC in Indonesia to Anadarko Petroleum Corporation.*
- Salamander Energy plc in connection with its bid and participation in the South East Sangatta PSC, East Kalimantan.*
LNG Project Development and Financing
- PT Medco Energi Internasional Tbk. on the development and financing of a US$2.8 billion, 2.1 million tonne LNG project in Sulawesi, Indonesia, including:
- the Shareholders’ Agreement entered into with Mitsubishi Corporation and an affiliate of PT Pertamina (Persero) to establish the project company, PT Donggi-Senoro LNG;
- the Gas Sales Agreement for the supply of 250 mmscfd of feedstock gas to PT Donggi-Senoro LNG from the Senoro-Toili PSC;
- the FEED Contract and EPC Contract with JGC Corporation; and
- the LNG HOAs and SPAs with Chubu Electric, Kyushu Electric and Korea Gas Corporation.*
- BG International Limited in connection with Egypt LNG, a US$900 million LNG export project in Idku, Egypt, including advising on the terms of the concession agreements with EGPC, domestic gas sales agreements, and LNG sale and purchase agreements.*
- BG International Limited on the development of the Tangguh LNG project in Papua, Indonesia including:
- the joint venture agreement and unitisation agreement between the partners in three PSCs to provide for the unitisation of 14.4 trillion cubic feet of proved reserves and the development of the Tangguh LNG project; and
- the terms of the Fujian LNG Sale and Purchase Agreement between the participants in the Tangguh LNG Project, BPMIGAS and Chinese National Offshore Oil Corporation (CNOOC) and the Fujian Investment Development Corporation, and LNG Sale and Purchase Agreements with SK Power Limited and POSCO in South Korea.*
- KOGAS in respect of an equity investment and LNG offtake arrangements in respect of a proposed LNG project in Bayelsa State, Nigeria.*
- LNG Japan Corporation on the development and financing of the Tangguh LNG project.*
- Shizuoka Gas Company, Ltd. on the terms of an LNG sale and purchase agreement with The Tokyo Electric Power Company, Incorporated.*
- PT Pertamina (Persero) in connection with its bid for Chevron’s geothermal power operations in Indonesia and the Philippines.
- A consortium of PT Medco Energi Internasional Tbk., Korea Electric Power Corporation and Nebras Power in connection with their bid for the Jawa-1 1,600MW power project in Java, Indonesia.
- PT Medco Energi Internasional Tbk. on the development of the US$1.5 billion 330MW Sarulla geothermal power project, Indonesia.*
- The Bechtel Group, Inc. and Royal Dutch/Shell on the sale of the shares of InterGen N.V. to AIG and the Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan Board for US$1.75 billion.*
- An affiliate of Tenaga Nasional Berhad in connection with the development of a 2,000MW coal-fired power station in Malaysia.*
- A developer in its purchase of nine barge-mounted diesel fired power barges from National Power Corporation in the Philippines.*
- PT Amman Mineral Industri in connection with its proposed development of a 2.6 million tonne per annum copper smelter in Sumbawa, Indonesia.
*Indicates experience gained prior to joining Gibson Dunn.
Mr. Roach is consistently recognized as a leading lawyer in his fields of practice. Recent awards include:
- Chambers & Partners: Energy & Natural Resources (International Firms): Singapore – Band 1 (2014-2018); Corporate & Finance – Projects & Energy (International Firms) (Expert Based Abroad): Indonesia – Band 1 (2008-2017); Energy & Natural Resources: Asia Pacific – Band 1 (2015);
- Chambers Global: Leaders in Their Field (Corporate/M&A, Projects and Energy) (2012-2017);
- The International Who’s Who of Energy Lawyers (2014-2017);
- The International Who’s Who of Oil and Gas Lawyers (2007-2013);
- The International Who’s Who of Project Finance Lawyers (2008-2011);
- Legal Media Group’s Expert Guide to the World’s Leading Energy Lawyers (2005-2018);
- Legal Media Group’s Expert Guide to the World’s Leading Banking, Finance and Transactional Lawyers (2008-2017);
- Asia Pacific Legal 500: Leading Individual (Energy) (2006-2018);
- Asia Pacific Legal 500: Leading Individual (Indonesia: Foreign Firms) (2017-2018);
- IFLR1000/Petroleum Economist: Leading Lawyer (Project Finance: Singapore) (2014);
- IFLR1000: Leading Lawyer (Asia Pacific, Singapore: Banking; Energy and Infrastructure; Project Development; and Project Finance) (2015-2018);
- Best Lawyers International: Leading Lawyer (Singapore: Energy Law) (2013-2019);
- Best Lawyers International: Leading Lawyer (Singapore: Mergers and Acquisitions Law) (2018-2019); and
- Best Lawyers International: Energy Lawyer of the Year (Singapore) (2017).