Stacie B. Fletcher is a partner in the Washington, D.C. office of Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher. She practices in the firm’s Litigation Department and is a member of its Environmental Litigation and Mass Tort Practice Group.
Ms. Fletcher was recognized as a Euromoney LMG “Rising Star” in the area of Environmental Law. She was also recognized from 2014 until 2017 as a Super Lawyers “Rising Star” in Environmental Litigation for the Washington D.C. area and, in 2017 and 2018, she was recognized as an up-and-coming, “next generation” lawyer in the area of Environmental Law by US Legal 500. She has represented clients in a wide variety of federal and state litigation, including agency enforcement actions, cost recovery cases, and mass tort actions.
Representative engagements include:
- Representing chemical manufacturing and refinery clients in enforcement actions alleging violations of the Clean Air Act’s New Source Review program, the New Source Performance Standards, and the National Emission Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants.
- Defending refinery in enforcement action alleging violations of the Clean Air Act’s Anti-Dumping regulations.
- Defending biomedical manufacturing company in Clean Air Act enforcement action relating to permitting of hazardous air pollutant emissions.
- Defending a pulp and paper manufacturer in a series of lawsuits alleging that air emissions from the client’s facilities have caused personal injuries and property damage.
- Prosecuting a $250 million CERCLA cost recovery action against the United States based on government involvement at a Cold War-era rocket manufacturing facility in Southern California, including direct and cross-examination of expert and fact witnesses at a two-week bench trial in federal district court.
- Representing trade association of automobile manufacturers challenging state regulations limiting greenhouse gas emissions from motor vehicles. Green Mountain Chrysler Jeep v. Crombie; Central Valley Chrysler Jeep v. Goldstene; and Association of International Automobile Manufacturers v. Sullivan.
- Defending rocket motor manufacturing company in state court toxic tort litigation alleging personal injuries and medical monitoring damages for alleged groundwater contamination.
- Compliance and enforcement counseling addressing Clean Air Act, Clean Water Act, and RCRA topics in a variety of industries such as downstream oil refining, chemical manufacturing, biomedical supply manufacturing, and Portland cement.
Ms. Fletcher received her law degree from the University of Virginia, where she was Executive Editor of the Virginia Law Review. She earned a Bachelor of Arts degree from Davidson College.
Ms. Fletcher is admitted to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the District of Columbia.