Matt Hoffman is a partner in the Los Angeles office of Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher and a member of the firm’s Litigation Department. Mr. Hoffman specializes in civil trials in both federal and state courts, with a principal focus on complex business litigation. He has extensive experience in products liability, product recall, mass tort litigation, insurance and reinsurance, consumer fraud class actions, unfair competition, and legal malpractice defense. His litigation experience includes work for companies in the food and beverage, insurance, pharmaceutical, medical device, automotive, telecommunications, health care, and utility industries. Mr. Hoffman has tried and arbitrated numerous cases involving a wide variety of pharmaceutical and consumer products such as anti-inflammatories, contraceptives, medical devices, and pet foods. Mr. Hoffman also has represented several AmLaw 200 law firms in several complex litigation matters involving claims of legal malpractice. Mr. Hoffman has tried a number of civil jury and non-jury cases to successful conclusions in California and throughout the country.
The Recorder recently named Mr. Hoffman as one of its 2013 Lawyers on the Fast Track, one of fifty California attorneys with less than ten years of practice whose early career achievements and leadership roles indicate they will be tomorrow’s top lawyers and leaders.
Representative Trials and Litigation
- Defended U.S. food manufacturer in a mass tort action involving allegations by hundreds of homeowner plaintiffs that odors from client’s manufacturing facility constituted a legal nuisance. Obtained complete defense verdict in ten-week jury trial.
- Won summary judgment for trust company in connection with embezzlement by former employee, whereby the District Court imposed a constructive trust over life-insurance proceeds for which policy premiums were paid with the fraudulently obtained funds.
- Won summary judgment for the University of Southern California in a federal civil rights lawsuit brought by former students against the university and the Los Angeles Police Department alleging discriminatory policing of student parties.
- Defending oil company in a lawsuit brought by City Attorney for the City of Los Angeles alleging that odor and other emissions from its oil production facility have caused debilitating health effects in the community.
- Representing major food manufacturer in an Alien Tort Statute case alleging that the company aided and abetted the use of child slave labor in its supply chain.
- Representing New Jersey Governor Chris Christie and the State of New Jersey in federal action brought by the NCAA, MLB, NFL, NBA, and NHL alleging violation of the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act (PASPA).
- Defended major insurance company against a national U.S. bank claiming mortgage insurance claims were wrongfully denied and successfully prosecuted sanctions trial against same U.S. bank for destruction and alteration of evidence.
- Complete defense verdict following bench trial for national commercial mortgage lender in two consolidated nationwide securities class actions. Represented same mortgage lender in a separate class action, which was settled favorably during trial.
- Defended shopping mall against claims for antitrust violations, tortious interference, and unfair competition arising from alleged contacts with potential tenants of a competing shopping mall. The antitrust and unfair competition claims client were dismissed at trial, and the remaining claim was settled after a jury verdict.
- Summary adjudication of trespass, bodily injury, and punitive damages claims in a toxic contamination case, resulting in plaintiff dismissing the lawsuit within hours after the granting of summary adjudication was announced.
- Represent excess carrier and reinsurer in evaluating exposures under various casualty liabilities policies issued to oil and gas companies, including leading joint defense group in regards to claims for coverage to recover losses arising from groundwater contamination.
- Dismissal with prejudice of multimillion-dollar legal malpractice lawsuit on behalf of national law firm.
- Won denial of permanent injunction against medical device manufacturer notwithstanding prior verdict of patent infringement.
- Defended major U.S. pet food manufacturer in multi-district litigation involving over 200 consumer class actions alleging food contamination.
- Favorable settlement for major U.S. food manufacturer in personal injury action alleging E. coli contamination.
- Prevented injunction against U.S. food manufacturer concerning contractual right to sell environmental reduction credits.
- Represented medical device manufacturer in arbitration involving licensing dispute with competitor medical device manufacturer.
- Favorable settlement for manufacturer of commercial piping in consumer class action alleging unfair business practices.
- Favorable settlement of trade secrets dispute for medical device manufacturer.
- Represent numerous U.S. food and beverage manufacturers in consumer class actions alleging violations of California’s Unfair Competition and False Advertising Laws.
- Represent major U.S. confection and rice manufacturer against state weights and measures action.
Education and Background
Mr. Hoffman earned his law degree from Harvard University in 2003, where he was a member of the Board of Student Advisors and instructed first year law students in legal research and writing. He received a B.A. degree cum laude in Political Science and Russian from Duke University in 1995 and was a member of the Naval Reserve Officer Training Corps (NROTC).
Prior to attending law school, Mr. Hoffman served as a U.S. Naval Intelligence Officer, with tours at the Pentagon (1998-2000), Miramar (1996-1998) and Rota, Spain (1995). During his service, Mr. Hoffman participated in Operation Southern Watch in the Arabian Gulf aboard the U.S.S. Constellation, conducted counter-narcotics operations in the Caribbean, and trained at the Naval Strike and Air Warfare Center ("Top Gun"). Mr. Hoffman received both the Navy Commendation Medal and the Navy Achievement Medal and completed his Navy service in March 2005 at the rank of Lieutenant Commander.
Mr. Hoffman is a Fellow of Litigation Counsel of America, a trial lawyer honorary society, and the Complex Commercial Litigation Institute. He also is a member of the Association of Business Trial Lawyers and Veterans Bar Association.