Anna Howell is a member of the firm’s Oil and Gas, Energy and Infrastructure, Mergers and Acquisitions and Private Equity practice groups.
Ms. Howell advises on complex cross-border transactions in the energy and natural resources sectors with a particular focus in the oil and gas, liquefied natural gas (LNG), power and mining sub-sectors.
Ms. Howell routinely advises high-profile clients on some of their most prestigious and challenging matters to take place in the market, including first entries into both mature and emerging markets throughout Europe, Africa, Latin America, Asia Pacific, and the Middle East. Her experience ranges from cross border M&A, the development and financing of projects, joint ventures and restructurings. Anna understands and has advised on the whole energy value chain from upstream concessions and transportation arrangements to downstream commodity sales and trading.
Chambers Global describe Anna as a legal practitioner who “is one of the standout energy lawyers both for M&A and oil and gas work. She’s a very smart lawyer, and has a very intelligent approach to negotiations and tactics” and who “consistently impresses clients who value the ‘constant dialogue’ with her.” Other leading publications such as Chambers UK, Chambers Asia Pacific and The International Who’s Who of Business Lawyers – Energy routinely rank Anna as a leading individual in the energy and natural resources sector. Ms. Howell is ranked as highly regarded in IFLR1000 2019 for M&A, Project Development and Project Finance. She is also recognised in Legal 500 UK 2019 for M&A: upper mid-market and premium deals.
Prior to joining Gibson Dunn, Ms. Howell spent over 11 years practising in Asia and has worked in London, Singapore, Hong Kong and Beijing.
Selected experience includes*:
- BP on its agreements with Kosmos Energy to acquire a 62% working interest, including operatorship, of Kosmos’s exploration blocks in Mauritania and a 32.49% effective working interest in Kosmos’s Senegal exploration blocks*;
- Kerogen on its acquisition by share subscription of an approximate 28% equity interest in iGas Energy plc, an onshore oil and gas production company in the UK for US$35 million and the restructuring of iGas‘s Norwegian bonds through cash buy-backs and debt to equity exchanges*;
- E.On in relation to the sale of its shares in its UK E&P upstream portfolio by way of auction to the FTSE 250 company Premier Oil comprising of equity interests in 80 and acting as English counsel on the sale of E.On’s Norway E&P business for USD 1.6 billion to Letter1*;
- Carlyle International Energy Partners, part of the Carlyle Group, on its agreement to purchase the entire Romanian business of Sterling Resources including the release of security given pursuant to Sterling’s Norwegian Bonds and subsequently on further equity arrangements *;
- CNPC on its acquisition of a stake in the Yamal LNG project from Novatek*;
- BP on its acquisition of additional interests in the West Nile Delta project, offshore Egypt*;
- CNPC on its acquisition of a 28.57% stake in Eni East Africa Company, a wholly owned subsidiary of Eni SpA, for US$4.2 billion. As a result of this transaction, CNPC will indirectly hold a 20% stake in Rovuma Offshore Area 4 in Mozambique*;
- Temasek Holdings, on its US$150m investment in Seven Energy, an oil and gas group based in Nigeria*;
- various companies including oil majors and private equity funds on UKCS decommissioning advice*;
- a confidential company on a rig contracts for the abandonment of oil wells
- a confidential company on a time charter agreement for a FSRU in the Baltic
- a confidential company on relation to their intended purchase of an English distribution system operator and the structuring of the same , including in relation to associated tariff issues and on UK and EU regulatory issues
- CNOOC on the Queensland Curtis coal bed methane LNG (“QCLNG”) project in Australia, in relation to its purchase of 3.6 mtpa and 5 mtpa of LNG from BG and its acquisition of upstream and midstream interests in the QCLNG project including the development and negotiation of the gas sales, processing, common facilities and operating agreements, the LNG SPA for FOB sales, and a long term gas transportation agreement and pipeline system rules*;
* Experience prior to joining Gibson Dunn.