Bryan Parr is of counsel in the Washington, D.C. office of Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher and a member of the White Collar Defense and Investigations, Anti-Corruption & FCPA, and Litigation Practice Groups.
His practice focuses on white-collar defense and regulatory compliance matters around the world. Bryan has extensive expertise in government and corporate investigations, including those involving the the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) and anticorruption. He has defended a range of companies and individuals in U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ), SEC, and CFTC enforcement actions, as well as in litigation in federal courts and in commercial arbitrations. In his FCPA practice, Bryan regularly guides companies on creating and implementing effective compliance programs, successfully navigating compliance monitorships, and conducting appropriate M&A-related FCPA diligence and integration.
He is recognized as a leading corporate crime and investigations lawyer by Chambers & Partners Latin America for his significant activity and experience in the region. He is proficient in Portuguese, French, and Spanish, and works professionally in all three languages.
Bryan represents and counsels clients in matters across a number of industries, including technology, life sciences, mining and extractive, petrochemical, and aerospace and defense industries.
Prior to joining the firm, he was a partner at a major international law firm. Bryan graduated from the University of Virginia School of Law in 2007, where he was an editorial board member of the Virginia Journal of International Law. He also graduated magna cum laude from Duke University with a B.A. in French and Comparative Area Studies in 2002.
Bryan is licensed to practice in the State of New York, the State of Massachusetts, and in the District of Columbia and is admitted to practice before various federal district and appellate courts.
Investigations and White Collar Defense:
- Represented the largest integrated power group in Brazil in an independent investigation of potential FCPA violations
- Represented multiple South America-based multinational companies regarding enhancements to their anti-corruption compliance programs, interactions with independent compliance monitors, and related reporting required as part of DOJ and SEC FCPA resolutions
- Conducted investigations of potential kickbacks, management misconduct, and FCPA violations for multiple South American companies
- Led investigations of possible FCPA violations for major pharmaceutical company relating to operations in Brazil, Chile, Costa Rica and Central America
- Represented an international medical device company in FCPA investigations before the DOJ FCPA Unit involving Mexico, Brazil, and various other countries
- Represented a Brazilian company in investigation and defense of potential FCPA violations
- Defended a Brazil-based aerospace and defense executive in DOJ, SEC, and corporate investigations of possible FCPA violations
- Represented a major petroleum services company in investigations regarding potential management conflicts of interest and FCPA violations involving Mexican operations
- Represented a Fortune 500 engineering, construction, and services company in investigations of potential FCPA violations involving operations in Algeria
- Represented a diversified industrial company in various internal and US governmental investigations of possible FCPA violations in Europe and Asia
- Conducted due diligence and internal investigations regarding India- and Latin America-based operations for a major petroleum company
- Represented a major petroleum services company in investigations of management misconduct and potential FCPA violations involving operations in Kazakhstan
- Represented a Fortune 500 retailer in an internal investigation of possible FCPA violations in Mexico
- Defended a Brazil-based money manager in an SEC investigation
- Defended a privately held energy company in a CFTC investigation
FCPA Risk Assessments, Diligence, and Counseling:
- Advised a European transportation conglomerate in connection with post-acquisition compliance integration and due diligence
- Advised U.S. aerospace and defense company regarding potential investments in Brazil, CIS, and Africa
- Represented a leading sustainable infrastructure platform in its equity investment in the Brazil-based owner and operator of concessions in water, wastewater sanitation, highway and public lighting across Brazil
- Represented multiple South America-based companies regarding enhancements to their anti-corruption compliance programs
- Represented multiple multinational pharmaceutical companies in various anti-bribery and anti-corruption due diligence and integration efforts, following multi-billion-dollar JV formations and M&A transactions
- Conducted risk assessment on Argentinian operations of a Fortune 100 food and beverage company
- Conducted a global fraud and anti-corruption risk assessment of a newly acquired subsidiary operating in over 70 countries for a multinational telecommunications and technology company, with particular focus in Latin America
- Conducted risk assessments and acquisition due diligence on possible corporate targets in the Middle East and Latin America for a Fortune 500 company
- Counseled a Fortune 500 company on its regulatory and FCPA compliance program, policies, and procedures
Litigation and Arbitration:
- Represented a Brazilian mining company in resolving U.S. commercial disputes relating to criminal proceedings in Brazil
- Defended a mining company in federal litigation of claims under the Alien Tort Statute and Torture Victims Protection Act arising from operations in Colombia
- Represented a construction firm in an expert determination arising from construction and engineering contracts relating to West African mining concessions
- Represented a media company in federal litigation of securities fraud and breach of contract claims
Accolades and Recognitions:
- Ranked Band 3 for Corporate Crime & Investigation – International Counsel, Chambers Latin America (2023-2024)
- Recognized by The Legal 500 Latin America: International Law Firms – Compliance and Investigations (2021)
- Recognized as a “Rising Star” by the Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers magazine (2014-2018)
*Includes matters handled prior to joining Gibson Dunn.