Laura O’Boyle is a litigation partner in the New York office of Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher. She is a member of Gibson Dunn’s Securities Litigation, Media, Entertainment and Technology, and Crisis Management Practice Groups.
Ms. O’Boyle has extensive experience litigating a wide range of complex commercial matters in federal and state court, including fraud and breach of contract matters, securities class actions, trade secret claims and shareholder disputes. She also regularly represents media and technology companies in copyright, trademark, privacy and defamation matters.
Ms. O’Boyle was recognized as one of Law360’s Rising Stars in Securities for 2019.
Ms. O’Boyle graduated with distinction in 2006 from Stanford Law School, where she served as vice-president of the Stanford Public Interest Law Foundation and a research assistant for the Stanford Law School Center for E-Commerce. At Stanford, Ms. O’Boyle also was a member of the Stanford Journal of International Law and the Stanford Judicial Review. In 2002, she earned her Bachelor of Arts degree, magna cum laude, in Public Policy from Brown University, where she was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. Ms. O’Boyle co-chairs the Parenting Group in the New York office, and has previously served on the firm’s Hiring, Diversity and Community Affairs Committees. Ms. O’Boyle is admitted to practice in the State of New York.
- Representing private equity firm in Delaware Chancery Court action alleging fraud in connection with sale of portfolio company; awaiting decision after conclusion of two-week trial
- Representing venture-back technology company in ownership dispute
- Represented leading pharmaceutical company in derivative action challenging company’s tax disclosures, securing dismissal at the pleading stage; affirmed on appeal by New Jersey Appellate Division
- Represented well-known comedian in high-profile defamation action, securing complete dismissal of lawsuit at the pleading stage
- Represented celebrity author and publishing company in copyright and trademark infringement lawsuit, securing victories at both the trial and appellate level
- Represented television production company in lawsuit alleging breach by network of distribution contract, securing favorable settlement for client
- Represented international technology company in Delaware Chancery Court action alleging breach of product development agreement, securing favorable settlement on the eve of trial
- Represented global insurance company and its directors in litigation brought in Delaware Chancery Court by hostile bidder and shareholder plaintiffs alleging breaches of fiduciary duties
- Represented Fortune 500 company in an SEC investigation of financial reporting issues; SEC staff closed the investigation with no enforcement action or penalty.
- Represented international staffing company in successful effort to enjoin former employees and a competitor from violating non-compete and misappropriating trade secrets
- Represented telecommunications company in international arbitration alleging breach of interconnection agreements
- Represented global insurance company and its directors in litigation brought by hostile bidder and shareholder plaintiffs alleging breaches of fiduciary duties
- Represented Big 4 accounting firm in wage-and-hour class actions pending in multiple jurisdictions
Ms. O’Boyle also maintains a robust pro bono practice, and has successfully represented multiple individuals in asylum proceedings, as well as numerous clients through Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts.