Robert C. Blume is a partner in the Denver office of Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher. His practice focuses on internal investigations, compliance, business crimes, and complex civil litigation. He is also an accomplished trial lawyer. Mr. Blume spent more than seven years as a federal prosecutor with the United States Department of Justice and earned four Special Achievement Awards from the Attorney General. Recently, Law Week Colorado awarded Mr. Blume the distinct honor of "Barrister's Best White Collar Lawyer" for 2016. In 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016 Chambers USA recognized Mr. Blume in the area of Litigation: White-Collar Crime and Government Investigations. Mr. Blume was named a Future Star by Benchmark Litigation in 2015 and 2017, and recognized by Best Lawyers in 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017 in the categories of Criminal Defense: White-Collar; Commercial Litigation; and Litigation: Securities.
Mr. Blume represents corporations and individuals in local, state, and federal court and helps clients interface with government agencies around the country. In that capacity, Mr. Blume has defended local and international clients in enforcement actions and investigations brought by the United States Department of Justice, the United States Securities and Exchange Commission, and various state law enforcement agencies. These investigations involve allegations of accounting and securities fraud, mortgage and settlement service kickbacks, money laundering, Medicaid fraud, promotion of off-label medical devices, improper use of computer and electronic data, breach of consumer trust and protection, improper payments to government officials, illicit dumping and environmental crimes, and illicit price-fixing and anti-competitive activities. Mr. Blume also defends numerous companies facing civil and criminal False Claims Act exposure. Finally, Mr. Blume has conducted corporate governance reviews, risk assessments, and compliance audits for financial institutions, online payment service companies, IT consulting firms, fuel services firms, healthcare companies, and others.
Mr. Blume also helps clients navigate through Foreign Corrupt Practices Act ("FCPA") investigations and compliance initiatives. He has been retained as outside compliance counsel for a number of publicly-traded companies, has drafted anti-corruption policies under the FCPA and the UK Bribery Act, and has led internal investigations and M&A due diligence in Europe, the Far East, Asia, Africa, India, the Middle-East, Central America, and South America. Mr. Blume works directly with Audit Committees, Boards of Directors, and management regarding company practices, internal compliance programs, disclosure issues, human resource concerns, and remedial measures for improving compliance. Finally, Mr. Blume helped lead the investigation team for the Siemens FCPA Monitor and oversaw compliance for a number of companies operating under Monitorships.
Mr. Blume also advises on U.S. export control and OFAC sanction issues. He has successfully represented individuals in matters dealing with the Iranian Transaction Regulations and the Export Administration Regulations. He also has advised on matters involving the Arms Export Control Act and the International Emergency Economic Powers Act and its implementing regulations.
Finally, Mr. Blume is a trial lawyer. In addition to the dozens of trials conducted while an Assistant United States Attorney, Mr. Blume and his teams recently tried cases for Chevron Corporation (SDNY), Doral Bank (Puerto Rico), the Republic of Djibouti (UK Commercial Court), and Vail Resorts, Inc. (Colorado).
Mr. Blume has lectured and published on many topics, including Internal Investigation, search warrants, the FCPA, the False Claims Act, Electronic Evidence, and the unique role of a corporations’ Internal Audit group. He also serves as a faculty member and instructor at the National Institute of Trial Advocacy’s Advanced Trial Advocacy Program in Washington, DC and its Advanced Deposition Skills training in Boulder, Colorado.
Before joining Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher, Mr. Blume served with distinction as an Assistant United States Attorney for the District of Columbia. Assigned to the Homicide/Major Crimes Section, Mr. Blume investigated and tried more than fifteen homicide trials and twenty drug and violent crime trials in local and federal courts. Mr. Blume also spent four years with the Organized Crime and Racketeering Section in the Criminal Division of the Department of Justice, where he investigated and tried a number of Organized Crime and white collar cases involving RICO, mail and wire fraud, securities fraud, credit card fraud, insurance fraud, computer security breaches, FCPA violations, obstruction of justice, money laundering, and conspiracy.
Mr. Blume graduated cum laude from the Georgetown University Law Center and was the Associate Editor of the Georgetown Law Journal and a member of the Georgetown Criminal Justice Clinic. Mr. Blume received his Bachelor of Arts degree with honors from Brown University. He is admitted to practice in the District of Columbia and in the State of Colorado.
Mr. Blume currently serves as co-chair of the Rocky Mountain Regional Subcommittee of the ABA’s White Collar Crime Committee. He previously served as the national co-chair of the Corporate Criminal Liability Subcommittee.
Recent Professional Publications
- 2015 Year-End False Claims Act update, Gibson Dunn Client Alert (January 2016)
- 2015 Mid-Year False Claims Act Update, Gibson Dunn Client Alert (July 2015)
- 2014 Year-End False Claims Act Update, Gibson Dunn Client Alert (January 2015)
- 2014 Mid-Year False Claims Act Update, Gibson Dunn Client Alert (July 2014)
- To Pay or Not to Pay Witnesses?, Law Week Colorado (March 2014)
- 2013 Year-End False Claims Act Update, Gibson Dunn Alert (January 2014)
- 2013 Mid-Year False Claims Act Update, Gibson Dunn Client Alert (July 2013)
- Torrid Pace of False Claims Act Recoveries Likely to Continue in 2013, G2 Compliance Report (February 2013)
- In-House Search Warrant Checklist, Law Week Colorado (March 2013)
- 2012 False Claims Act Update, Gibson Dunn Client Alert (January 2013)
- 2012 Year-End FCPA Update, Gibson Dunn Client Alert (January 2013)
- Decoding FCPA Enforcement: The U.S. Government Issues Comprehensive Guidance on the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, Gibson Dunn Client Alert (November 2012)
- 2012 Mid-Year False Claims Act Update, Gibson Dunn Client Alert (July 2012)
- 2011 Year-End False Claims Act Update, Gibson Dunn Client Alert (January 2012)
- 2011 Mid-Year False Claims Act Update, Gibson Dunn Client Alert (July 2011)
- 2010 Year-End False Claims Act Update: Part 2, Gibson Dunn Client Alert (April 2011)
- 2010 Year-End False Claims Act Update: Part 1, Gibson Dunn Client Alert (March 2011)
- 2010 Year-End False Claims Act Update, Gibson Dunn Client Alert (January 2011)
- Do Rankings Matter? Transparency International Issues Its 2010 Corruption Perceptions Index, Gibson Dunn Client Alert (November 2010)
- Overview of the New Colorado Medicaid False Claims Act, The Colorado Lawyer (October 2010)
- 2010 Mid-Year False Claims Act Update, Gibson Dunn Client Alert (July 2010)
- 2010 Mid-Year FCPA Update, Gibson Dunn Client Alert (July 2010)
- U.S. Health Care Reform Legislation Significantly Expands the False Claims Act, Gibson Dunn Client Alert (April 2010)
- 2009 Year-End False Claims Act Update, Gibson Dunn Client Alert (January 2010)
- 2009 Year-End FCPA Update, Gibson Dunn Client Alert (January 2010)
- 2009 Mid-Year FCPA Update, Gibson Dunn Client Alert (July 2009)
- President Obama Signs Legislation Significantly Expanding the Scope of the False Claims Act, Gibson Dunn Client Alert (May 2009)
- A Sword or a Shield – The New Administration's Approach to Cybercrime and Cybercrime Fighting, The Champion (May 2009)
- 2008 Year-End False Claims Update, Gibson Dunn Client Alert (January 2009)
- 2008 Year-End FCPA Update, Gibson Dunn Client Alert (January 2009)
- "View from here: Countering corruption", Legal Week (October 2007)
- Navigating the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act: The Increasing Cost of Overseas Bribery, The Colorado Lawyer (August 2007)
- The FCPA Enforcement Explosion Continues: Nine New Enforcement Actions in 2007 and Approximately 100 Active Investigations, Gibson Dunn Client Alert (July 2007)
- The Foreign Corrupt Practices Act: Recent Developments, Trends, and Guidance, Insights (February 2007)
- 2006 Year-End FCPA Update, Gibson Dunn Client Alert (February 2007)
- Recent Developments in the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, Gibson Dunn Client Alert (April 2005)