Patrick Doris is a partner in Gibson Dunn’s Dispute Resolution Group in London, where he specialises in global white-collar investigations, commercial litigation and complex compliance advisory matters.
Mr. Doris’ practice covers a wide range of disputes, including white-collar crime, internal and regulatory investigations, transnational litigation, class actions, contentious antitrust matters and administrative law challenges against governmental decision-making.
Mr. Doris handles major cross-border investigations in the fields of bribery and corruption, fraud, sanctions, money laundering, financial sector wrongdoing, antitrust, consumer protection and tax evasion.
Mr. Doris’ recent commercial disputes experience has extended to advising corporations, UK public bodies and sovereign states in claims in courts and tribunals in the UK and around Europe. He has particular expertise in antitrust cases, human rights disputes and collective actions.
Mr. Doris is recognised by Legal 500 UK 2022 in the field of Regulatory Investigations and Corporate Crime. He is also ranked as a leading individual in the field of Administrative and Public Law, in which clients have noted his: “…exceptional contribution to … work to decriminalise homosexuality worldwide”. Clients describe him as “totally committed, a great manager and really goes the extra mile” and “outstanding, has tremendous judgment, works exceptionally hard and always gives the impression that he is 100% dedicated to and focused on your case”. He is also ranked for International Arbitration and Litigation (White Collar) in the Lawdragon 500 Global Litigation Lawyers guide 2021.
Mr. Doris earned his LL. M. (first class) in European Law in 1996; and received his BA in Law in 1994 from Trinity Hall, Cambridge University. Before entering private practice, Mr. Doris taught law at the University of Warwick and worked in the Criminal Division of the Law Commission of England & Wales, the UK government’s primary law reform body. Mr. Doris speaks English, Spanish, French and Catalan, with recent experience of conducting investigations in each of those languages.
Mr. Doris’ recent white collar investigations experience includes:
- Advising a major global investment bank in connection with an investigation into conduct worldwide resulting in major resolution with authorities in the United States under the FCPA.
- Advising a major global corporation in the business services sector in a multi-jurisdictional investigation into allegations of tax evasion, resulting in a major settlement with a European national tax authorities.
- Advising a major European investment bank in connection with multi-jurisdictional investigations relating to alleged manipulation of LIBOR and other benchmark rates and foreign exchange rates.
- Representing a leading figure in the field of broadcasting in connection with the Leveson Inquiry into the culture, practice and ethics of the Press.
- Representing a U.S. investment bank in connection with criminal investigations brought simultaneously in the U.S. (Department of Justice) and UK (Financial Conduct Authority and National Crime Agency) in relation to suspicions of insider dealing.
- Advising a leading U.S. operator in the financial sector in connection with an investigation into suspected OFAC and EU sanctions violations by third parties using facilities provided by the operator.
- Representing a leading online gambling operator in an investigation by the UK Competition & Markets Authority into alleged breaches of consumer protection laws.
Mr. Doris’ recent commercial litigation experience includes:
- Representing a leading global corporation in the technology sector in connection with class action litigation commenced against it in the Competition Appeal Tribunal alleging abuse of a dominant position.
- Representing a leading online gambling operator in its successful defence of contested administrative law proceedings before the High Court and Court of Appeal in London in connection with allegations that it was facilitating the avoidance of industry-specific levies and unregulated provision of gambling services by its customers.
- Representing a sovereign state in litigation relating to allegations of corruption against a former public official.
- Representing a sovereign state in its successful defence of a multi-billion dollar expropriation claim before the European Court of Human Rights.
- Representing a group of U.S. journalists in proceedings brought against them in London by a subject of their work alleging defamation, breach of the GDPR, malicious falsehood and misuse of private information.
- Advising a Turkish conglomerate in connection with expropriation claims before the European Court of Human Rights.
Mr. Doris’ recent compliance advisory experience includes:
- Advising a FTSE 100 technology company in connection with the establishment of its global compliance framework, including arrangements regarding bribery and corruption, antitrust, AML, facilitation of tax evasion, conflicts of interest, gifts & hospitality, data privacy, modern slavery, procurement, management of third party risk generally, and related governance and reporting matters.
- Advising a leading global industrial in connection with the establishment of its GDPR compliance programme.
- Advising a global manufacturing company in connection with its response to a major cyber-penetration incident, including liaison with responsible national supervisory authorities.
- Conducting the global risk assessment necessary in connection with UK laws relating to prevention of facilitation of tax evasion for a “Big Four” audit and accounting firm.
- Advising a leading global card network on its suspicious activity reporting processes.
- Advising one of the world’s leading extractive corporations in a global review of its ABC compliance arrangements across operations spanning six continents.
*Includes matters handled by Mr. Doris prior to joining Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher.