Ms. Coyle's practice focuses on complex commercial and intellectual property litigation and transnational disputes. She has represented clients across a variety of industries, including financial services, energy, telecommunications, and fashion. Ms. Coyle has extensive experience successfully representing brand owners in trademark infringement actions relating to internet-based counterfeiting, resulting in awards of millions of dollars in damages and broad injunctive relief. Ms. Coyle also has extensive experience in enforcement of international arbitral awards and international asset recovery.
Ms. Coyle earned her Juris Doctor in 2005 from Fordham University and graduated magna cum laude. She earned her Bachelor of Arts degree in 2000 from Hunter College, where she graduated summa cum laude. Ms. Coyle was the Associate Editor of the Fordham Law Review while attending Fordham University.
Ms. Coyle devotes significant time to assisting not-for-profit organizations with different issues, including trademark prosecution and disputes, and has represented immigrants seeking relief from deportation on political grounds.
Ms. Coyle is admitted to practice in the State of New York, the United States Court for the Southern District of New York, the Second Circuit, and the Third Circuit.
- Yukos Capital S.a.r.l.: Represented companies pursuing the interests of former shareholders of YUKOS Oil Company and their affiliates in complex multi-jurisdictional litigation arising from the forced bankruptcy and liquidation of Yukos in the Russian Federation, including:
- obtaining a $185 million judgment confirming an ICC arbitral award in favor of Yukos Capital S.a.r.l. against OAO Samaraneftegaz and affirmance by the Second Circuit;
- obtaining a $420 million pre-judgment attachment against OJSC Oil Company Rosneft on behalf of Yukos Capital S.a.r.l. in aid of enforcement of an ICC arbitral award; and
- obtaining 1782 discovery in aid of proceedings in the Netherlands.
- Gucci America, Inc., Balenciaga America, Inc., Tiffany & Co., and other brands: Represented Gucci America, Inc., Balenciaga America, Inc., Tiffany & Co., and other brands in a series of trademark infringement actions against operators of websites that sell counterfeit goods, resulting in awards of millions of dollars in damages and broad injunctive relief.
- Gucci America, Inc.: Represented plaintiff in Gucci America, Inc. v. Frontline Processing Corp., 721 F. Supp. 228 (S.D.N.Y. 2010) (HB), in which the Southern District of New York held that credit card processing companies may be held liable for contributory trademark infringement. Recognized as One of the Top 10 trademark decisions of the year according to the Northwestern Journal of Technology & Intellectual Property.
- Gucci America, Inc.: Obtained order granting plaintiff's motion to compel the Bank of China to produce counterfeiters' bank records, despite claims that the documents were protected under Chinese law, and denied the Bank's cross-motion to relieve its obligation to freeze the counterfeiters' accounts. Gucci Am., Inc. v. Li, No. 10 Civ. 4974 (RJS), (S.D.N.Y. Aug. 23, 2011).
- Verizon Communications: Obtained a $60 million judgment on behalf of Verizon against a competitive local exchange carrier.
- United Company RUSAL: Defended United Company RUSAL in federal lawsuit, obtaining a dismissal of a multi-billion dollar suit alleging fraud in connection with a Nigerian government auction on grounds of forum non conveniens and an affirmance by the Second Circuit.