Eduardo Gallardo is a partner in the New York office of Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher. He focuses his practice on mergers and acquisitions, and corporate governance matters. Mr. Gallardo has extensive experience representing public and private acquirers and targets in connection with mergers, acquisitions and takeovers, both negotiated and contested. He has also represented public and private companies in connection with proxy contests, leveraged buyouts, spinoffs, divestitures, restructurings, recapitalizations, joint ventures and other complex corporate transactions. Mr. Gallardo has substantial experience in the technology, financial services, telecommunications, real estate and healthcare industries.
Mr. Gallardo also advises corporations, their boards of directors and special board committees in connection with corporate governance and compliance matters, shareholder activism, takeover preparedness and other corporate matters. He also represents various major investment banks as financial advisors in M&A transactions, and hedge funds in their M&A and investment activities.
In 2011, Mr. Gallardo was named to Law 360’s list of “Rising Stars” under the age of 40.
Mr. Gallardo is a member of the Board of Advisors of the Institute for Law & Economics of the University of Pennsylvania, a contributor of The Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance and Financial Regulation, a member of the Advisory Board of Columbia Law School’s Blog on Corporations and the Capital Markets, and a member of the Society of Corporate Secretaries and Governance Professionals. He is also a member of the New York State Bar Association and the Negotiated Acquisitions Committee of the American Bar Association’s Business Law Section. Mr. Gallardo is a general editor of the M&A Practice Guide, published by Lexis/Nexis.
Mr. Gallardo received his Juris Doctor from Columbia Law School in 1999, where he was a Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar. He received a Bachelor of Arts from Cornell University in 1996. Mr. Gallardo is admitted to practice in the State of New York.
- The Related Companies and Corvex Management: Represented The Related Companies and Corvex Management in their investment in CommonWealth REIT, including their consent solicitation to remove the entire Board of Trustees of CommonWealth, and successful related litigation.
- Transatlantic Holdings: Represented Transatlantic Holdings, a reinsurance company, in its $3.4 billion merger with Alleghany Corporation, and successful defense against a hostile exchange offer commenced by Validus Holdings.
- Zayo Group: Represented Zayo Group, in its $2.2 billion acquisition of AboveNet, Inc.
- Fushi Copperweld: Represented the Special Committee of the Board of Directors of Fushi Copperweld, a China-based US publicly traded company, in connection with its completed going-private transaction.
- Baldor Electric Company: Represented Baldor Electric Company in its $4.2 billion sale to ABB Ltd via a tender offer.
- UBS Investment Bank: Represented UBS Investment Bank as financial advisor to International Paper in its $4.3 billion unsolicited tender offer for Temple-Inland, a manufacturer of corrugated packaging.
- Red Hat: Represented Red Hat in connection with various transactions.
- CommScope, Inc.: Represented CommScope in its sale to The Carlyle Group for $3.9 billion.
- Heineken: Represented Heineken in its $7.6 billion acquisition of the beer operations of FEMSA.
- Emulex Corporation: Represented Emulex Corporation in its successful defense against an attempted hostile takeover by Broadcom Corporation.
- iBasis, Inc: Represented the Special Committee of the Board of Directors of iBasis, Inc., in connection with an unsolicited tender offer from Koninklijke KPN.N.V., including related takeover defense and litigation.
- Catterton Partners: Represented Catterton Partners in its acquisition of Restoration Hardware.
- Liberty Shipping: Represented Liberty Shipping in connection with its unsolicited offer to acquire International Shipholding Corporation.
- Infocrossing, Inc.: Represented Infocrossing in its $609 million sale to Wipro Limited via a tender offer.
- SES Global: Represented SES Global in its $760 million acquisition of New Skies Satellites Holdings Ltd.
- Avnet, Inc.: Represented Avnet in connection with its $412.5 million acquisition of Access Distribution, a General Electric company and value-added distributor of complex computing solutions.
- Infocrossing, Inc.: Represented Infocrossing, in connection with its acquisition of (i)Structure LLC, an IT outsourcing company, from a subsidiary of Level 3 Communications, Inc.
- SES Global: Represented SES Global in its tax-free disposition to GE of various satellite businesses for $1.3 billion.
- Nabi Biopharmaceuticals: Represented Nabi Biopharmaceuticals in connection with a consent solicitation initiated by Third Point.
- Diamond Castle: Represented Diamond Castle in its $850 million acquisition of NES Rentals Holding, Inc.
- Dubai Financial: Represented Dubai Financial in its attempt to acquire a U.S.-based financial services company out of bankruptcy.
- TBC Corporation: Represented TBC Corporation in its acquisition by Sumitomo Corporation of America for a total transaction value of approximately $1.1 billion.
- SunTrust Banks, Inc.: Represented SunTrust Banks in its approximate $7 billion acquisition of National Commerce Financial Corporation.
- North Fork Bancorporation, Inc.: Represented North Fork Bancorporation, Inc. in its $6.3 billion acquisition of GreenPoint Financial Corporation.
- SunTrust Banks, Inc.: Represented SunTrust Banks in its $14.7 billion unsolicited bid for Wachovia Corporation.