Matthew G. Bouslog is an associate in the Orange County office of Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP where he practices in the firm’s Business Restructuring and Reorganization Practice Group. Mr. Bouslog specializes in representing companies in complex restructuring matters. Mr. Bouslog frequently represents debtors, creditors, and other interested parties in out-of-court and in-court restructurings, distressed acquisitions, and bankruptcy-related litigation. A significant number of Mr. Bouslog’s matters have involved cross-border issues.
Mr. Bouslog’s bankruptcy representations have included the following:
- Southcross Energy Partners, L.P. – Counsel to stalking horse bidder in acquiring Southcross Energy’s midstream assets in Alabama and Mississippi for $31.5 million
- Synergy Pharmaceuticals Inc. – Counsel to Official Committee of Equity Security Holders; shareholders received cash distribution and participation in liquidating trust
- Crossroads Systems, Inc. – Counsel to prepackaged chapter 11 plan sponsor in acquiring controlling interest in the reorganized debtor and preserving approximately $140 million in net operating losses
- SH 130 Concession Company, LLC – Debtor counsel to toll road operator; confirmed chapter 11 plan that restructured approximately $1.5 billion in debt
- SunEdison, Inc. – Counsel to stalking horse bidder in acquiring SunEdison’s “solar materials” division for $150 million
- The Standard Register Company – Debtor counsel to printing and communications company with operations in the U.S., Mexico, and Canada; completed $300 million sale and confirmed chapter 11 plan
- Arcapita Bank B.S.C.(c) – Debtor counsel to Bahraini investment bank with offices in Bahrain, London, Singapore, and the U.S.; confirmed chapter 11 plan that restructured over $2.5 billion in debt in first-ever restructuring of a Shari’ah-compliant entity in what was named as the American Lawyer‘s Global Finance Deal of the Year Grand Prize Winner, was awarded the prestigious Innovation in Finance Law award by the Financial Times, and was named as the M&A Advisor‘s Cross-Border Deal of the Year in the “Over $1 Billion” category
- Natrol, Inc. – Special transactional counsel to vitamin and supplement manufacturer in $155 million sale
- THQ Inc. – Debtor counsel to video game developer with operations in the U.S., Canada, Europe, and Asia; completed sales of assets totaling approximately $70 million and confirmed chapter 11 plan
- Lehman Brothers Finance, AG – Counsel to liquidator of Swiss banking affiliate of Lehman Brothers Holding Inc. in its chapter 15 case and in connection with $12.5 billion claim against Lehman Brothers Holding Inc.
- Yarway Corporation – Counsel to chapter 11 plan sponsor, which contributed $325 million to establish section 524(g) asbestos settlement trust
- Tribune Co. – Counsel to former shareholders and board members in multi-district litigation involving claims for breach of fiduciary duty and claims to avoid payments in connection with $7 billion pre-bankruptcy leveraged buyout
In addition to Mr. Bouslog’s restructuring expertise, he has represented lenders and borrowers in real estate and other finance transactions.
Before joining the firm, Mr. Bouslog served as a judicial clerk for the Honorable Robert N. Kwan of the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Central District of California. While in law school, he served as a judicial extern for the Honorable Thomas B. Donovan of the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Central District of California and for the Honorable Stephen V. Wilson of the United States District Court for the Central District of California.
Mr. Bouslog received his Juris Doctor degree in 2011 from the UCLA School of Law, where he was elected to the Order of the Coif and was a member of the Moot Court Honors Program. He earned a Bachelor of Science degree magna cum laude in Business Management from Brigham Young University in 2007.
Mr. Bouslog is admitted to practice law in the State of California.