AWARDS AND ACCOLADES
As a firm, we continue to be recognized for our commitment to pro bono and community service by myriad community and professional organizations:
Partner Award presented by Tipping Point Community for Gibson Dunn’s extensive pro bono work for both Tipping Point and the poverty-fighting organizations Tipping Point funds.
Pro Bono Firms of 2012 by Law360, which recognized 20 “exceptional law firms … that committed a significant number of attorney hours and secured major victories”.
Pro Bono Partner Award presented by Legal Services for Children for the exemplary work of Gibson Dunn’s San Francisco and Palo Alto attorneys in serving low-income children in the Bay Area.
Beacon of Justice Award presented by National Legal Aid & Defender Association for Gibson Dunn's work with the Transgender Legal Defense & Education Fund.
President's Pro Bono Service Award presented to Gibson Dunn's New York office by the New York State Bar Association for donating more than 37,000 hours of pro bono work in 2011 on a wide range of issues, such as good government projects, immigration, transgender advocacy, holocaust survivors and domestic violence.
Frank M. Wheat Community Service Award presented by the Alliance for Children’s Rights to honor its 20-year partnership with Gibson Dunn. The award is named for a former Gibson Dunn partner who founded the organization.
Pro Bono Hot List by National Law Journal for defending day laborers wrongly arrested in Danbury, Connecticut.
Volunteer Recognition of Kay Kochenderfer and Gibson Dunn by the AIDS Service Center for their pro bono work and long-time support of the organization.
- Pro Bono Counsel of the Year presented by Legal Community Against Violence for successfully defending the group against a demand by gun rights advocates for LCAV's membership information, legislative strategy and other confidential information.
- Commitment to Justice Award presented by inMotion to Jim Hallowell and Brendon Fleming for their representation of a young, unemployed mother who sought assistance obtaining child support for her infant after separating from her abusive husband.
2010 Beacon of Justice Award presented by the National Legal Aid & Defender Association for extraordinary commitment to pro bono legal representation in the area of immigration law.
Forty at Fifty Judicial Pro Bono Recognition presented by the D.C. Circuit Judicial Conference's Standing Committee on Pro Bono Legal Services.
- 2010 Volunteers of the Year presented by Public Counsel's Children's Rights Project to John Sharer and Katie Marquart for their work on behalf of children with autism at risk of losing state-funded treatment.
Pro Bono Award presented by the Urban Justice Center for outstanding service in Harris v. Eggleston, through which more than 10,000 disabled New Yorkers recovered more than $12 million in illegally withheld food stamp benefits.
2009 Gold Award for Pro Bono Service presented by the Dallas Volunteer Attorney Program.
American Bar Association Pro Bono Publico Award, the profession's highest recognition for pro bono legal work, awarded to Bet Tzedek's Holocaust Survivor Network, including Gibson Dunn, for assisting Holocaust survivors in obtaining reparation payments under a program established by the German government.
2009 Associates of the Year presented by Human Rights Initiative of North Texas to Evan S. Tilton and Akita St. Clair for their work in securing religious asylum for a Coptic Christian who fled his native country of Egypt to escape religious persecution.
2008 Excellence in Pro Bono Advocacy award presented to Gibson Dunn for "outstanding pro bono representation and advocacy on behalf of victims of domestic violence" by Sanctuary for Families, the largest nonprofit organization in New York State dedicated exclusively to serving domestic violence victims and their children.
2008 Frederick B. Award presented by the District of Columbia Bar to Gibson Dunn for the DC Bar Pro Bono Program's initiative, Project 990 in recognition of the Firm's efforts to develop and lead a very successful program on the IRS' new Form 990 and related governance questions.
- President's Award presented by the Los Angeles Conservancy, which is dedicated to the preservation and revitalization of the architectural and cultural heritage of greater Los Angeles, in recognition of Gibson Dunn's battle to preserve the Ambassador Hotel in Los Angeles.
Outstanding Volunteer Law Firm of the Year award presented by the Rocky Mountain Children's Law Center, which provides legal services for at-risk and maltreated children, in recognition of Gibson Dunn's dedication to the organization and the children it serves by having advocated on behalf of children in more than 40 cases.
Law Firm Community Builder Award presented by Texas C Bar, a statewide association that finds pro bono legal representation for non-profit, community based organizations, in recognition of diverse corporate pro bono legal services for an array of Texas C Bar clients by the Firm's Dallas lawyers and staff.
Pro Bono Partner Award presented by Bread for the City, a non-profit organization that provides vulnerable residents of Washington, DC with comprehensive services, to honor Gibson Dunn for its representation of the Tuckerman Street and Tewkesbury Street residents, saving 20 low-income households from being illegally evicted.
President's Pro Bono Service Award in the large law firm category awarded by the California State Bar for Gibson Dunn's broad range of pro bono work throughout the state, including the Firm's work on behalf of foster children, home ownership, tenant rights, consumer law, immigration work and assistance with corporate matters.
- Pro Bono Service Award presented by the Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles in recognition of the firm's representation of low-income tenants facing eviction.
- President's Award presented by the Boys and Girls Clubs of America for its ongoing support of organizations and issues affecting the health and welfare of our nation's youth.
- Corporate Award for Special Achievement in Adoption presented by the North American Council on Adoptable Children in honor of our continuing work to secure adoption and permanence for thousands of children.
- Outstanding Law Firm in Public Service presented by the San Francisco Bar Association.
- Law Firm of the Year presented by Public Law Center.
- Guardian of Justice Award from the Legal Aid Society of San Mateo County.
- Rose L. Schiff Commitment to Justice Award presented by Bet Tzedek Legal Services.
- Conservation Award presented by Colorado Trout Unlimited for the firm's decade-long effort to protect streamflows on National Forests.
- Business Organization of the Year presented by the Child Abuse Prevention Center in recognition of the firm's enthusiastic support and participation in the Center's events and programs.
- Pro Bono Law Firm of the Year presented by Public Counsel.
- Volunteer Law Firm of the Year presented by Bet Tzedek Legal Services.
IN THE COMMMUNITY